Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As many have stated, a relatively healthy 90 seems like a reasonable age to go. But to the point of the article, if a person is relying heavily on SSI and lives a very long life then they are more "at risk" of SSA not being able to meet payment obligations. When I do a retirement calculator I use 67% of projected SSI to mitigate the risk of SSI not being able to make full payments. How many people need ALL of their SSI payment to meet basic needs ?

But I'm sure these issues will be addressed by our gov't in a way that is fair to all
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
If that many are having miserable existence, how come they are not all committing suicide? After all, they have access to a ton of medication, much more than any other generation have had that would easily dispatch them.
Many do try. A family member quit eating and went off all meds. After 14 days they to forget why they were not eating, or feared kicked in.

In many cases these folks are in assisted living etc. access to their meds is controlled by the facility.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If that many are having miserable existence, how come they are not all committing suicide? After all, they have access to a ton of medication, much more than any other generation have had that would easily dispatch them.
My great-grandmother died at age 93 about a week after entering a nursing home. DH calls it "face-to-the-wall syndrome" and has seen it happen with members of his family.

While I'm planning to live to a ripe old age due to my genetics and because I don't want DS and DDIL scrambling to pay for my care, I hope I don't live much past 90. My grandfather (son of great-grandma I mentioned) died at 95 but said "there's such a thing as living too long". My parents are in their early 80s and have had to cut back on things (Dad no longer golfs) and are dealing with numerous body parts just not being meant to last as long as they have.

OTOH, one life actuary I knew said that the steady mortality improvements we've seen over the last century may be leveling out due to obesity, poor nutrition and all the problems those factors cause.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Bull market for Depends, catheters, walkers, etc. I imagine.

As long as I can totter (or drive my all terrain Rascal) in to the woods and pop some squirrels, I don't mind being around to an advanced age.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

As life-spans increase, unless the average age of childbearing rises, there is an increase in the standing population.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If I do live to 100, I hope a lot of you are still alive too so that I can point out that it really WAS a good idea for me to put off claiming SS.

Thanks for giving me my best laugh of the day. Finally there would be a definitive answer to that endless debate!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #27

I'm good for as much advanced age as I can get. Some grandparents made it to late 90's still lucid, a few relatives even older. If I'm slowed down there's still a lot of life to enjoy. I can sleep a lot and still enjoy some TV, movies, books on tape even if I'm very frail. Not that I wouldn't prefer to be hale and hearty and hiking and biking for a few more decades, but if advanced age starts to limit some activities, I'll shift to other things I can still do. I'm far too optimistic to ever think there's a maximum age I don't want to live past.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #28

Living to a 100 I'm not sure about although financially I should be OK.

A few months ago I had a nightmare that I was 117 years old and I never want to live to be that age! When I told my Dad about the nightmare he laughed as he understood why I considered it a nightmare.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Agreed. Based on family history, I expect to be gone or wish I was gone before I hit 80.
Yeah, what is the point. Unless they can make people in their 90's or 100 feel like they are 50 years younger. But then again the money runs out.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Unless they can make people in their 90's or 100 feel like they are 50 years younger.
Ah, yes. The Disco years.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #31

Count me out. Try and live well, with the body and genes we are given .

I have of up close and personal experience with many aging relatives, kept alive by modern medicine. Mostly in misery. I want no part of it for myself, and the planet is starting to feel the strains of the existing population. I just don't think we were intended to ignore the intent of nature.

Where is the balance point of letting nature prevail , or use medicine ? I'm not smart enough for that question.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A lot of reasons not to commit suicide. Religion, not wanting to hurt your children, not wanting to leave you spouse alone, hope that whatever it is will get better...

Ha
Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #33
gone traveling

Longevity without mental and physical health does not seem very desirable to me
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote