Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few pieces of roast beef from the one I roasted a few days ago, now in fridge. White rice from fridge. Nuke both. Have with a few bites of Bell pepper from my garden. Maybe add a dash of bbq sauce to the white rice. Also one can substitute roast chicken for the roast beef. Glass of filtered tap water, or beer, or whole milk. Ended with a slice of watermelon.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For a quick healthy meal, I've never found anything better than bacon and eggs.
+++1
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

A salad or sushi.
Cassius King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
I had a really awesome hatch mac and cheese at the Trader Joe's sample desk a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of them before that.
I never heard of Hatch chiles until I drove through the town of Hatch N.M. this spring. Roadside stands selling dried chiles for $15 in bags that I saw only grapefruits and oranges sold in. I couldn't get one to fit in my luggage so the vendor sold me a stuffed gallon ziploc for a buck. Now that's LBYM!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
A salad or sushi.
Add oatmeal to the list, too, since I won't have salad nor sushi for breakfast.

My favorite Tex-Mex place will subsitute sauteed veggies for the rice and beans, so I think the meals are quite healthy.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the recipe for fried corn? I have heard of corn fritters, bur not fried corn.
Fried corn is where you shuck 4-5 large ears of corn and cut it off the cobb. Then take the back of the knife and scraps the cobb of all liquids.

You put some bacon drippings (or even butter) in a skillet and "fry" the corn for a few minutes--stirring occassionally. You could put a small amount of water or cream into the corn and saute until it thickens.

I then salt and pepper it to taste. I heavily pepper fried corn.

My grandmother cooked green beans and a cast iron skillet of cornbread every day at lunch. She would serve fried corn about every other day at lunch. She would rotate meats. Dinner would be a snack, or leftovers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Fried corn is where you shuck 4-5 large ears of corn and cut it off the cobb. Then take the back of the knife and scraps the cobb of all liquids.

You put some bacon drippings
I like corn to start with, add bacon drippings and this is a feast. I need to try this one day
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #48

A cheese board with assorted cheese, meats, fruit.
A LARGE glass of wine (perhaps a few)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Red beans & rice, with some mystery meat, raw onion, Tabasco Sauce

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #50

Quote:

You put some bacon drippings (or even butter) in a skillet and "fry" the corn for a few minutes--stirring occassionally. You could put a small amount of water or cream into the corn and saute until it thickens.

My grandmother cooked green beans and a cast iron skillet of cornbread every day at lunch. She would serve fried corn about every other day at lunch. She would rotate meats. Dinner would be a snack, or leftovers.
Cornbread in a skillet and green beans cooked with ham or bacon are things I remember from the Southern relatives. Never served fried corn. That sounds a bit like creamed corn.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

My breakfast not sure I would call it a meal.
Oatmeal
raisins
banana
honey
wild goose berry
flax seed
milk
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I always find it fascinating to see how people define "healthy". From the variety of meals described in this thread it is clear that there is no universal definition. Which makes sense, since I don't think there is any universal scientific agreement on what "healthy" food really is.

I also believe that what is "healthy" for one person may not be healthy for others. Our bodies respond differently to different sources of food.

+1
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My friend who owns a Chinese restaurant refers to the kitchen operation as "constant preparation interrupted by occasional cooking."
Yup. If one prepares from scratch or nearly so, the prep /cook seems like maybe 80/20. That said, I wouldn't have any other way. We get a lot of family time in the kitchen.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #54

My healthy breakfast is a Weight Watchers protein shake if I'm in a hurry, or an egg white omelette with Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles & salsa if I'm not.

For lunch, salad with lean grilled protein - Ahi, chicken, shrimp, salmon, or filet mignon.
Or sashimi or ahi poke. I am addicted to the spicy ahi poke at Gelson's.
Or Trader Joe's chicken sausages, grilled with mustard on the side. I like Spicy Jalepeno.

For dinner, any grilled protein and steamed or grilled green vegetables. Also like broiled tomatoes. If I don't want to grill my protein, I love sautéed or baked tilapia. So good with a spicy rub and mango or pineapple salsa!

For healthy snacks, I like boiled eggs, low fat cheese sticks, fruit, or Skinny Cow mint ice cream sandwiches. Weight Watchers fudge bars are very good also.

I like to cook but also appreciate easy preparation. Most of our healthy meals are quick & easy to cook with easy cleanup too.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Wifey makes protein smoothies with ground flax, wild blueberries, yogurt and chocoloate whey protein powder in the bullet blender for us most mornings. Delicious and zero hunger for several hours. I do all the dinner cooking and there are a lot of things I like to cook but heathiest one we eat regularly is a huge salad with lots of cut up veggies and 1 lb of sauteed extra lean ground turkey added just before tossing. Gives some warmth to it, crumbled goat cheese in it melts a bit. Last year we both lost a lot of weight and were eating that salad at least 3-4 nights a week for dinner. Delicius and very filling.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

In my younger years usually reverted to the three basic food groups: nicotine, caffeine and alcohol. Lately it is bacon and eggs.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This is known as cream corn in some parts. Or it's very close.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flintnational, Thanks for the tip on Costco salmon in the can. You made it sound good. I will give it a try for salmon salad. I haven't made that in a very long time.

If I buy real salmon around here, it is going to be cooked on the grill for a nice dinner.

I was given a recipe from a friend who got it from a bartender in Mexico for a fresh tomato salsa (pico de gallo) and guacamole. I love it. It is all fresh raw veggies with a little salt, and it tastes great.

Whenever I make this recipe now, I make burrito bowls out of it. Black beans, rice and lettuce in a bowl. I cover the lettuce with some pico de gallo, and cover it all generously with guacamole.

It sounded so good, I just made a batch today.

Take care,

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #59

Sweet potatoes are great nutrition.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
Red beans & rice, with some mystery meat, raw onion, Tabasco Sauce