What is your workout

Coming to this thread very late.

I don't know why some people have been injured running. You have to ramp up slowly and some people have greatly overdone a good thing during their runs.

Am 63, have run for most of my life starting in high school on cross country team. Now I run in hilly terrain, 4 times per week, with goal of getting in 20 miles per week. But note, I'm not overweight and have a light frame to support. Also good shoes and never more then 500 miles before retiring the shoes.

Also I'm fortunate in living in mild weather area with a park to run in right behind our house. It's rainy today but I'll probably get out there anyway.

When I cannot run anymore I plan on doing a lot of walking. Maybe even a little cycling too.

44 yrs old
I walk (briskly) one hour 7 days a week --- I have determined on several occasions that I walk about 4.5 miles so I am walking 4.5mph :) (tall)

I started this almost 2 years ago and at the time walked 2-3 hours a day in a weight loss effort (also a diet change) -- after 4 months or so I had lost 50 pounds and am now 6'2" and 165 lbs --- Have maintained this weight for over a year ....

The thing I love about walking is there is almost NEVER an excuse to skip a day! No equipment needed --- I work in a large warehouse so 5 days a week I arrive early to work and get it done before the masses arrive for work. Most weekends I can deal with whatever weather presents itself to walk but if it is tooo cold and windy I will go to one of two "walkers malls" nearby that used to be "hopping" but are about 50% vacant of stores and people now.

Last edited:
Hi Militaryman, you have described a great model for those coach potatoes out there!

When I stop the running some day, I'll be out there walking too. DW does a lot of walking in the park and used to walk our Corgi (now gone) about 4 miles/day. She was a sucker for that Corgi smile.

I did something like that for years. I've since concluded that there is a lot of wasted effort in a routine like that, and you may even be doing more harm than good.

Less is Not Less

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/body-by-science-vs-younger-next-year-54978.html

Agree. Ex navy seals have a lifetime of training and their bodies are built to take that kind of punishment. Most of us aren't.

I use several apps in my iPad for strength training. Low impact calisthenics, mostly. I walk, usually about 5 days a week, weather permitting. Finally, I stretch almost every day, especially my legs and back since I have some lower back issues. Nothing to strenuous, but enough to keep me in decent shape.

I went running the other day for the first time in a few months, though I've been biking, walking, and Bow-flexing. I was surprised that it felt like I hadn't missed a day. Quite sore the next day -- good to mix it up.

Agree. Ex navy seals have a lifetime of training and their bodies are built to take that kind of punishment. Most of us aren't.

I use several apps in my iPad for strength training. Low impact calisthenics, mostly. I walk, usually about 5 days a week, weather permitting. Finally, I stretch almost every day, especially my legs and back since I have some lower back issues. Nothing to strenuous, but enough to keep me in decent shape.
Well, again, everybody has their own tolerance. I am 56 and have been doing this routine for 4 weeks now and I feel fantastic.

61 yrs old:

I need a simple exercise that does cardio, lungs and upper and lower muscles together at the same time, that is not so hard on the knees and joints.----- I do ellipticals 35 min + 5-10 min. walking on the treadmill
6-7 days a week, and try to elevated my heart rate 85-90%, and soaking
in sweat. After dinner at home, I then will walk in the treadmill for about
20-30 min. while watching the evening news. That's approximately 1 hour
of movements/day. I may skip the elliptical a day, but will always walk in the treadmill 20-30 min.

Everything is so natural motion, nothing to learn, and can do it in the gym or at home. The idea is to be consistent.

I have always heard that the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do. I am still looking for the best exercise! :)
I agree.

I'm still trying to get DW to assist me in my "exercise" >:D ...

(I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm once good as I ever was) :D ...

I use my elliptical machine every weekday for about 40 minutes/session. As an early retiree, I'm more concerned with overall health rather than strength. The elliptical gives me a major cardio workout!

I have built the time into my daily routine. I do it in the morning after the wife wakes up and before the grandkids come over. I usually listen to my radio or occasionally watch CNN. Since it's just part of my weekday routine, I find it just gets done and I rarely skip it. Generally, I'll only skip it if I'm playing golf that day. I need all my strength to walk and play the courses around here (Oregon).

Since I bought the machine, I lost 30 pounds :dance:

I do not use exercise machines. Why not?
1. I get bored.
2. I have issues in my hands that will be aggravated further by gripping handles and repetitive motion.

My Stairmaster is my set of steps from upper level to lower level. I walk up and down them at every opportunity, sometimes repetitively on purpose.
My cardio class is held in my own living room - I crank up the tunes and dance.
My upper body strength training is splitting up medium size logs for kindling and carrying wood inside in LL Bean bags.

My walking track is the private club where I bus tables every Friday night, also getting a fabulous medium cardio w*rkout. I am servicing at least 25 tables for over 3.5 hours, with very short breaks while I chat with customers for a few minutes. Otherwise, I am in constant motion.
My dumbell set is the rectangular shallow depth plastic container that I carry heavy ceramic dishes in. I switch the carrying arm every other table to get balanced loads on my upper arm muscles.
I get a tremendous all over w*rkout session. I am bending, lifting, stretching (cleaning tables), walking, turning quickly (agility), and having a heck of a lot of fun. :D

...(snip)...
My upper body strength training is splitting up medium size logs for kindling and carrying wood inside in LL Bean bags.
Isn't it satisfying to split those logs?!!

I have a stump in the garage that I balance an oak piece on. Then I come down on it with a splitter ax. Over time I've figured out when it's hopeless -- when an oak piece has too many knots in it or the grain is funky. Have gotten better at not stressing my lower back in the cold weather and I'm a light weight guy.

Also have developed an Lsbcal patented system for starting a fire in the small wood stove we have :).

Isn't it satisfying to split those logs?!!

I have a stump in the garage that I balance an oak piece on. Then I come down on it with a splitter ax. Over time I've figured out when it's hopeless -- when an oak piece has too many knots in it or the grain is funky. Have gotten better at not stressing my lower back in the cold weather and I'm a light weight guy.

Also have developed an Lsbcal patented system for starting a fire in the small wood stove we have :).

Patented huh? Do tell. ;)

I find that the smaller diameter branches (not the trunk) are free of any knots or burls. My wood is pre-cut by the wood delivery guy, into pieces approx 16" in length and at most 7" in width. I also use a long handled splitting ax, balancing each piece on a cross section of tree trunk. I do this all in my enclosed porch, so no weather effects on me or the wood.

Mr B watches me and just shakes his head in wonder that his lady can actually use an ax. :LOL:
I am very careful about where my legs are positioned in case the ax slips or deflects off.
Even with padded bicycle gloves on, I can only do about 12 pieces before my hands start complaining in the thumb joint area. So I give it a rest and do some more a few days later.

Here's my system for starting fires. With this system you do not need any kindling. I have used it to start fires with big honking pieces of wood. I tend to have only big pieces, because all my wood is split by hand, and smaller pieces equals more splitting.

Anyway here's the system that I've used for years.

1. Put 2 TBS of vegetable oil in a dixie cup.
2. Wad up a half piece of paper towel, and stick it in the oil
3. Place the cup in the fireplace or wood stove
4. Put pieces of wood around it, very close (that is, make a little house).
5. Light it

There's no flare up. The oil burns slowly and cleanly, and by the time it is out, the wood is burning.

What is your system, LSB?

I cannot believe this. Apparently we geniuses have independently discovered complementary techniques!

I think my wood splitting technique is almost identical to Freebird's. Would only add that I put on safety goggles, an extra step that seems unnecessary but you never know for sure.

Al's mentioning of creating a little house is just the way I thought of it too. You have the floors and walls and ceiling and then you burn it down! Ha!

Here is my (patent pending) technique. It sounds a little complicated but it's really pretty simple:

1) Purchase (a) a lighter wand, (b) a small fire starter brick that generally measures about 2 x 6 inches and (c) a small butane Ronsonal (or other) lighter fluid plastic bottle.

2) Cut up that starter brick with a knife or small ax into about 8 chunks and store them in a zip lock bag. Each chunk will light a fire.

3) Build the floor and a few sides of the little starter house. Place one of those starter brick chunks on the floor of the house. Squirt a bit of lighter fluid on the chunk.

4) Continue to build up the little house with the walls and ceiling as the fire is taking hold. It's helps to make the ceiling out of soft kindling.

5) After some minutes the fire should be going well and consuming the little house's ceiling.
I generally purchase a box of those starter bricks and that lasts maybe two seasons depending on how many fires you have. The small lighter fluid probably lasts a season for me.

A bit OT, but I find this approach to be fairly effective:
[-]I can't wait to forward this to my engineering-student daughter!![/-]
Do you reactor controls guys still wonder why the rest of the submarine crew was always a little skittish around you?

Nords said:
[-]I can't wait to forward this to my engineering-student daughter!![/-]
Do you reactor controls guys still wonder why the rest of the submarine crew was always a little skittish around you?

"Geez, Eng! You said you wanted this fixed. You didn't say HOW".

Here's a picture of one of my workouts:

Splitting.jpg

image-1360372168.png

This will scew up my workout routine. I like to run 3x per week, but I tripped at the deer lease and fell on a pointed log. Can't walk much less run.

cardude said:
This will scew up my workout routine. I like to run 3x per week, but I tripped at the deer lease and fell on a pointed log. Can't walk much less run.

Ow!! Sorry to hear/see this. Hope you are able to get back to running before too long.

DFW_M5 said:
That log looks petrified. Did you split it will one swing?

Yes. It was madrone that I got free on craigslist, and it split easily.

Back
Top Bottom