Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have always heard that the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do. I am still looking for the best exercise!
This is the way I see it also. I think that to get concerned about fine tuning is mistaken, for several reasons. One, the underlying research is poor, and much of what passes for research is business promotion. It really isn't known with any degree of security what works best for what goals in which people, and it likely will not be known for a very long time. So one doesn't really have a solid basis to make discriminations between different workout types, frequency, intensity, etc. Two, even if some program or other may be marginally better than another, by loading up a simple activity with a lot of cognitive folderol we may find ourselves just walking away from it and doing very little. On pretty days I most enjoy walking in attractive lively areas. Then if I haven't met my calorie burn goals I finish off with rowing around dinner time.

On cold or rainy days I might just row twice, though I also have some built in walking like Trader Joe or a coffee house which will get me out even in lousy weather. Usually I row 30-40 minutes, then a short break, then another session of rowing. It is very easy to burn 500-600 kc this way, without even feeling pushed.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Walk 3-5 miles/day at least 5 days a week.
20 minutes of stretching at least once every day
Just finished 3 miles in the freshly fallen snow (felt like 6, probably shouldn't have shoveled the driveway first)
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have been doing the Body by Science high intensity set once a week. 5 core exercises, one set of ~12 reps each super slow to total muscle exhaustion. I probably wuss out a bit on the level of max I reach but I still have better tone and definition than I had with my 3x weekly less intense routine I had been following for 30 years. I add in about 3 20-30 mile bike rides a week or some time on a stationery bike if the weather sucks. I would love to run but it messed with my joints.
I would be suspicious of those one day a week strength training routines. I guess it might work for some people who might be genetically wired for something like that and respond well. For me I like to do a full body workout 2 to 3 days a week and rest or cardio on the other days. This seems to work for me but being retired I guess I just like going to the gym everyday.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I would be suspicious of those one day a week strength training routines. I guess it might work for some people who might be genetically wired for something like that and respond well. For me I like to do a full body workout 2 to 3 days a week and rest or cardio on the other days. This seems to work for me but being retired I guess I just like going to the gym everyday.
My results this year were better once a week than I got from 3x previously. Admittedly, those 3x were sorta wussy, although they included more exercises. I think the BBS method will/would work for someone who can really max out the sets. I have done that on occasion but fall a hair short most of the time. For that reason I am considering switching to a 2x weekly routine trying to keep up the level of effort I have been doing. I also forgot to mention that in addition to the 5 core BBS exercises I do a separate set of abdominals (planks, leg lifts).
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Before long, exercise will be come part of your daily retirement routine.
I really think that's the key. When it's part of the routine you go through every day, it moves from chore to habit. Within a few months, you'll find that skipping it can be hard, setting off that little 'something's wrong' alarm in the back of your mind.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I really think that's the key. When it's part of the routine you go through every day, it moves from chore to habit. Within a few months, you'll find that skipping it can be hard, setting off that little 'something's wrong' alarm in the back of your mind.
So many things are this way. If you can just make 3 months, you have a good chance of never dropping the activity.

Ha
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #47

I try to briskly walk everyday for 35-60 min. Usually it works out to 5-6 days a week. I throw in a dumbell work out and some other exercises. As others have stated you need to do something you like and can work into your schedule.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Am over 50 and have had some surgeries. When I exercised after recovery from each surgery, I was careful not to overdo but realised that I need to progress from half an hour's brisk walk 3 times a week. Exercise is now part of my routine. These include stretches and some yoga poses for 15 minutes a day. Brisk walking/jogging for 40 minutes 4 times a week, weights and gym equipments 3 times a week, follow a video exercise program once a week and then golf twice a week. Usually walk the course when I golf. Rest of the day, I am usually on my feet. Living in the city, I do not drive and walk a fair bit.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Walk/jog ~~ 4 miles per day unless the weather is bad, in which case I will use the elliptical for 40 minutes. Need to add in weight training.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I started cycling when I was 50, after my knees retired me from running. My motivation was the annual bike ride across Iowa. Now 8 years latter, I have ridden 6 of those years. I find having something to train for keeps my motivation high. I ride 3 to 4 thousand miles a year. That generally translates to 100 to 150 miles per week (April - October). In the colder months, I use a nordic trac to maintain my cardio.
Brdofpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Coming to this thread very late.

I don't know why some people have been injured running. You have to ramp up slowly and some people have greatly overdone a good thing during their runs.

Am 63, have run for most of my life starting in high school on cross country team. Now I run in hilly terrain, 4 times per week, with goal of getting in 20 miles per week. But note, I'm not overweight and have a light frame to support. Also good shoes and never more then 500 miles before retiring the shoes.

Also I'm fortunate in living in mild weather area with a park to run in right behind our house. It's rainy today but I'll probably get out there anyway.

When I cannot run anymore I plan on doing a lot of walking. Maybe even a little cycling too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

44 yrs old
I walk (briskly) one hour 7 days a week --- I have determined on several occasions that I walk about 4.5 miles so I am walking 4.5mph (tall)

I started this almost 2 years ago and at the time walked 2-3 hours a day in a weight loss effort (also a diet change) -- after 4 months or so I had lost 50 pounds and am now 6'2" and 165 lbs --- Have maintained this weight for over a year ....

The thing I love about walking is there is almost NEVER an excuse to skip a day! No equipment needed --- I work in a large warehouse so 5 days a week I arrive early to work and get it done before the masses arrive for work. Most weekends I can deal with whatever weather presents itself to walk but if it is tooo cold and windy I will go to one of two "walkers malls" nearby that used to be "hopping" but are about 50% vacant of stores and people now.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Hi Militaryman, you have described a great model for those coach potatoes out there!

When I stop the running some day, I'll be out there walking too. DW does a lot of walking in the park and used to walk our Corgi (now gone) about 4 miles/day. She was a sucker for that Corgi smile.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I did something like that for years. I've since concluded that there is a lot of wasted effort in a routine like that, and you may even be doing more harm than good.

Less is Not Less

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ear-54978.html
Agree. Ex navy seals have a lifetime of training and their bodies are built to take that kind of punishment. Most of us aren't.

I use several apps in my iPad for strength training. Low impact calisthenics, mostly. I walk, usually about 5 days a week, weather permitting. Finally, I stretch almost every day, especially my legs and back since I have some lower back issues. Nothing to strenuous, but enough to keep me in decent shape.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I went running the other day for the first time in a few months, though I've been biking, walking, and Bow-flexing. I was surprised that it felt like I hadn't missed a day. Quite sore the next day -- good to mix it up.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Agree. Ex navy seals have a lifetime of training and their bodies are built to take that kind of punishment. Most of us aren't.

I use several apps in my iPad for strength training. Low impact calisthenics, mostly. I walk, usually about 5 days a week, weather permitting. Finally, I stretch almost every day, especially my legs and back since I have some lower back issues. Nothing to strenuous, but enough to keep me in decent shape.
Well, again, everybody has their own tolerance. I am 56 and have been doing this routine for 4 weeks now and I feel fantastic.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

61 yrs old:

I need a simple exercise that does cardio, lungs and upper and lower muscles together at the same time, that is not so hard on the knees and joints.----- I do ellipticals 35 min + 5-10 min. walking on the treadmill
6-7 days a week, and try to elevated my heart rate 85-90%, and soaking
in sweat. After dinner at home, I then will walk in the treadmill for about
20-30 min. while watching the evening news. That's approximately 1 hour
of movements/day. I may skip the elliptical a day, but will always walk in the treadmill 20-30 min.

Everything is so natural motion, nothing to learn, and can do it in the gym or at home. The idea is to be consistent.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #58
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have always heard that the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do. I am still looking for the best exercise!
I agree.

I'm still trying to get DW to assist me in my "exercise" ...

(I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm once good as I ever was) ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my elliptical machine every weekday for about 40 minutes/session. As an early retiree, I'm more concerned with overall health rather than strength. The elliptical gives me a major cardio workout!

I have built the time into my daily routine. I do it in the morning after the wife wakes up and before the grandkids come over. I usually listen to my radio or occasionally watch CNN. Since it's just part of my weekday routine, I find it just gets done and I rarely skip it. Generally, I'll only skip it if I'm playing golf that day. I need all my strength to walk and play the courses around here (Oregon).

Since I bought the machine, I lost 30 pounds
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I do not use exercise machines. Why not?
1. I get bored.
2. I have issues in my hands that will be aggravated further by gripping handles and repetitive motion.

My Stairmaster is my set of steps from upper level to lower level. I walk up and down them at every opportunity, sometimes repetitively on purpose.
My cardio class is held in my own living room - I crank up the tunes and dance.
My upper body strength training is splitting up medium size logs for kindling and carrying wood inside in LL Bean bags.

My walking track is the private club where I bus tables every Friday night, also getting a fabulous medium cardio w*rkout. I am servicing at least 25 tables for over 3.5 hours, with very short breaks while I chat with customers for a few minutes. Otherwise, I am in constant motion.
My dumbell set is the rectangular shallow depth plastic container that I carry heavy ceramic dishes in. I switch the carrying arm every other table to get balanced loads on my upper arm muscles.
I get a tremendous all over w*rkout session. I am bending, lifting, stretching (cleaning tables), walking, turning quickly (agility), and having a heck of a lot of fun.