What is your workout

Mulligan said:
I do the weight lifting, cardio, and walking, etc, too, which mentally I need as well as physically. However, what really makes me feel like I have discovered the "fountain of middle age" is consistenly incorporating stretching into my routine. This has really loosened up the body and a lot of joint aches have gone away because of this.

Same here. The key for me is doing it every day. It took about two weeks of stretching before I really started feeling the benefit. Can't recommend it strongly enough.

But my routine (posted here somewhere) really doesn't take more than a few minutes.

Late to the party...

I run 4-6 days a week, 3-4 miles on the weekdays and a long run of about 8 miles on Saturday. Lately I've been trying to double-up a couple times a week, i.e., a 3 miler at tempo in the morning and a quick 2 miler at easy pace in the evening. Weekly mileage is between 20-25 most weeks, but I've been known to go up to 34 miles in a week if I'm on vacation.

Yesterday I ordered a spin bike for the family room, to be placed in view of the TV. This will be used 30 minutes several evenings per week.

When I have to run on he treadmill, I watch an episode or two of a tv show like Modern Family or an old Seinfeld on the iPad, which helps to keep the boredom down and the time to pass quicker.

I find that a target helps me, and I have a friend who advocates that we should "train, not exercise". So, I'm targeting a triathlon...not to win, just to finish respectably. With a 400m swim, 16 mile ride, and 3.1 mile run, it's within my capacity to complete already, but I need to work on the speed (therefore my weight) to complete the "respectably" part.

I have also recently added walking up the 8 floors to my office twice a day, rather than taking the elevator. I know I need to get back to weight training once or twice a week, but I really do not enjoy that at all.

R

We have a treadmill, elliptical and weight machine in our extra bedroom. I typically work out 4-5 times per week alternating between cardio and weights so 3 cardio and 2 weights per week is most common. I'd rather run outside but have a bit of plantar fasciitis so keep that to a minimum these days.

We find that having the machines at home takes away the excuses for using them and it seems to work for us. I've been working out regularly since retirement - almost nine years now.

I find that a target helps me, and I have a friend who advocates that we should "train, not exercise".

This is what I need to do as well. I'm almost always signed up for a few races, so I know I need to get my training runs in. I run 5-6 days per week. It's also helps me to have running partners lined up as I know then I won't sleep in and disappoint them.

I used to lift regularly, but that has gone by the wayside. It's one of those things that I know I need to do more.

I try to do yoga 1-2 times per week, but once again, I'm not great at getting that in.

For the past few months, I've been doing a 5x5 routine, with 1-2 days leg press, and 1-2 days upper body (chest press, lat pulldowns, shoulder press).

The 5x5 accomplishes two things for me: lifting heavier has resulted in both strength and muscle gains, and it has reduced the time I spend in the gym.

Some weeks, though, I run out of gas, and only do one day each. It's a taxing routine, but I've seen results, as in five pounds of muscle in a few months.

I'm thinking about alternating weeks of leg press and deadlift. I use machines in my regular routine, both for convenience and safety. I can't do heavy weights safely on free weights, but I recognize the advantage. I started deadlifts about two weeks ago, at about 120lbs. A bit taxing, though no where near max, but I worry about lower back injury. The old leg and back muscles definitely felt it, though, and protested a [-]lot[/-] bit, even after only five reps...

Also considering only one day of leg work, but continuing twice-a-week upper body. Four days of heavy work kicks my old assets...

Currently, walking is my only other exercise, but as the weather improves, I'll be doing more bicycling.

For the past few months, I've been doing a 5x5 routine, with 1-2 days leg press, and 1-2 days upper body (chest press, lat pulldowns, shoulder press).

The 5x5 accomplishes two things for me: lifting heavier has resulted in both strength and muscle gains, and it has reduced the time I spend in the gym.

Some weeks, though, I run out of gas, and only do one day each. It's a taxing routine, but I've seen results, as in five pounds of muscle in a few months.

I'm thinking about alternating weeks of leg press and deadlift. I use machines in my regular routine, both for convenience and safety. I can't do heavy weights safely on free weights, but I recognize the advantage. I started deadlifts about two weeks ago, at about 120lbs. A bit taxing, though no where near max, but I worry about lower back injury. The old leg and back muscles definitely felt it, though, and protested a [-]lot[/-] bit, even after only five reps...

Also considering only one day of leg work, but continuing twice-a-week upper body. Four days of heavy work kicks my old assets...

Currently, walking is my only other exercise, but as the weather improves, I'll be doing more bicycling.

You might want to consider doing squats vs leg presses, its much more beneficial and will hit your gluts and core as well, just start light and get your form down. Also, on the dead lifts, if you have a rack, do rack pulls instead as its less hard on the lower back and almost as beneficial as a full DL. What hurts me the most on DLs is grip, it tends to give out at heavier weights, ugh.

Backpacking is a bit different. Adding 30 pounds of weight to the knees then going down steep trails can be a bit hard on the body. I have seen people way older than myself out there backpacking though and it is really encouraging to me.
I noticed that equipment is getting lighter. Tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, pots, food, almost everything.
So 20 year ago my backpack equipped for 2 weeks trek was about 60 lbs.
Nowadays I estimate less than 30 lbs for two weeks and less than 20 for a week.
If I were to spent some money I could lower it even further.

Well, I can do 300lbs on seated leg press; doubt I could safely get 300lbs on my shoulders, not to mention getting it back over my head after five reps... :dead:

Not that weight-machine weight has any direct correlation to free weight...

Well, I can do 300lbs on seated leg press; doubt I could safely get 300lbs on my shoulders, not to mention getting it back over my head after five reps... :dead:

Not that weight-machine weight has any direct correlation to free weight...

Just start with the bar alone and work on form, and then you can gradually add weight from there. You don't need 300 lbs to benefit from this lift. Give it try in addition to your leg presses, and you might be surprised at how it goes.

Resistance training (Bowflex) M-W-F, cardio M-T-W-T-F & Sat or Sun (walking outside or on treadmill in winter about 45 minutes/day, bike or walk weather permitting).

I have a WaterRower that I used for a while, but it's a drying rack now...I'd put it on eBay but shipping it would be a nightmare.

Started in December. Go to the health club three days a week.

Start with treadmill for 45-50 minutes. Fast walk for at least 2 miles and 350 calories with various inclines.

13 machines 2 sets of twelve on each. Rotate between legs, stomach/back and upper body. Weights vary between 60 and 100 pounds.

Finish with 50 situps.

Feeling better but not losing much weight. Could stand to lose 15/20 pounds.

Any ideas besides dieting?

Just start with the bar alone and work on form, and then you can gradually add weight from there. You don't need 300 lbs to benefit from this lift. Give it try in addition to your leg presses, and you might be surprised at how it goes.

My plan is to alternate weeks between machines and free weights, with moderation the key for free weights. If I run out of gas on a machine, no harm no foul. Weights, on the other hand...

I sometimes go to the bar alone... :LOL:

Started in December. Go to the health club three days a week.

Start with treadmill for 45-50 minutes. Fast walk for at least 2 miles and 350 calories with various inclines.

13 machines 2 sets of twelve on each. Rotate between legs, stomach/back and upper body. Weights vary between 60 and 100 pounds.

Finish with 50 situps.

Feeling better but not losing much weight. Could stand to lose 15/20 pounds.

Any ideas besides dieting?

I know calories in/calories out is not popular here, but I believe it is the "big knob" when it comes to losing weight. Calculate your BMR and activity level using an online calculator, then eat maybe 10% fewer calories than that.

Read the first post of this thread Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums for a good primer...

Here is a link to my favorite guide, with tons of info:

Beginner's Health and Fitness Guide

Heavy lifting is what gave me the best bang for my buck -- increasing metabolism, etc. When you do the machines for lifting, is it easy, or do you feel like your last rep is challenging?
+1. As a rule of thumb I use;
if I can do any more than 12 reps I need to increase weight/resistance,
if I can't do at least 8 reps the weight is too much.

However, when weight loss was my goal, I wanted more reps so I chose weights such that I could do 3 sets X 12 to 24 reps of 9-12 exercises. And lighter weights are better/safer to start a program anyway.

Last edited:
I've seen better strength and size gains with higher weight and fewer reps. YMMV...

I regard my weight loss efforts to be separate from my weight lifting efforts. Weight lifting increases my strength and capability, and makes me feel younger and healthier (plus it improved my routing blood test values).

If I want to lose weight, exercise is not enough; I also need to watch what I eat. It helps to continue an exercise program while I do, in order to keep my metabolism from slowing down when I eat less.

W2R said:
I regard my weight loss efforts to be separate from my weight lifting efforts. Weight lifting increases my strength and capability, and makes me feel younger and healthier (plus it improved my routing blood test values).

If I want to lose weight, exercise is not enough; I also need to watch what I eat. It helps to continue an exercise program while I do, in order to keep my metabolism from slowing down when I eat less.

25 years ago, I would have disagreed with you W2R about working out and exercising to reduce weight, but now I am 100% in your camp. My body cannot at my age take the beating it would require to lose significant weight in that manner. Its all about what and how much I eat now.

I always notice people older than myself out there hiking, especially the rare times I go during the week. The retirees wait until at least Tuesday to hit the trails - smart!

Backpacking is a bit different. Adding 30 pounds of weight to the knees then going down steep trails can be a bit hard on the body. I have seen people way older than myself out there backpacking though and it is really encouraging to me.

I kind of like my new mind set of pushing myself because I know my time is finite. It is a great motivator for me. There are so many beautiful places to hike and backpack and not enough free time to see it all.

I'm thinking of hiking the John Muir Trail the summer I retire, I just might be able to do it too.

I had to Google the John Muir trail. It looks great, I hope you manage to hike it.

We exercise a lot, but whenever we get away hiking in the trails we realize that the best training for walking up steep hills, is walking up steep hills. :)

We are of the same mindset, in that we need to do all this serious hiking while we can. I'm struggling with plantar faciitis at present and desperately want to get fit enough for end of April in time for more hiking in the mountains.

...(snip)...
Unfortunately I have to agree too. I run >20 miles/week in the hills at a pretty good pace. Still I watch the calorie intake as I don't need that many calories. At 63 I still wear the same size jeans that I wore in high school. Have put on a few pounds since retiring about 8 years ago -- too many treats I guess.

I noticed that equipment is getting lighter. Tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, pots, food, almost everything.
So 20 year ago my backpack equipped for 2 weeks trek was about 60 lbs.
Nowadays I estimate less than 30 lbs for two weeks and less than 20 for a week.
If I were to spent some money I could lower it even further.

Yes, I love the new ultralight equipment that is out now! I have a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and recliner, tent and backpack that all weigh two pounds each. Now I need to work on food. I took way too much last summer, I think I could have cut about 5 pounds of food out of my five day trip and my pack would have been about 22 pounds without water.

30 pounds for two weeks is really impressive.

We are of the same mindset, in that we need to do all this serious hiking while we can. I'm struggling with plantar faciitis at present and desperately want to get fit enough for end of April in time for more hiking in the mountains.

Good luck with the plantar faciitis, I have heard that is very painful and that it takes quite a while to heal.

Which mountains do you hike in? Do you do mostly day trips?

Good luck with the plantar faciitis, I have heard that is very painful and that it takes quite a while to heal.

Which mountains do you hike in? Do you do mostly day trips?

We live a long way from the mountains unfortunately but do so because of family. We are not into overnight camping, very much amateurs by your standards. Our hikes on a given day are usually 10 - 20 miles and a climb of no more than 2 - 3k feet.

In 2010 we had a month staying in Colorado and hiked day trips in the ranges around Salida. Then had 10 weeks in England of which a month was hiking in the Pennines.

Last year we had 7 months in England, in N. Yorks and hiked day trips in the moors. A total of 625 miles which is what produced the plantar faciitis.

This year we have stays planned in Bryce Canyon, Wyoming and Montana where we will do day hikes. In the Fall we will either drive to Big Bend National Park or N. Arkansas and do some hiking there.

I timed my stretching routine and it only takes 4 minutes and 37 seconds. Thirteen stretches. You may think that's not enough but it seems to do the job. If it took longer I bet I wouldn't do it every day.

Wow, I started a thread that has over 100 replies. When do I rate another star?:D

Back
Top Bottom