Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My current thinking is that bicycling has greatest benefit in relation to risk. That is, it has lower risk of repetitive strain injury than running. OTOH, the risk of crashing or getting hit by a car is higher.

What do you think?
I think trail biking makes a lot of sense. I'm hopeful to learn to do this a bit but find that the rocky trails where we live are very challenging. People out there who have done it for years and younger cyclists seem to have no problems. Those rocks have me watching the ground a lot while running and I've taken a few spills.

Seems to me that bike crash risk can be greatly minimized by safe practices like slowing down. A friend of mine got somewhat badly injured just trying to clip his shoes into those toe clips. We met and were talking on a steep grade and I ran off and he started out and wham down he went -- I wasn't there to see the accident though. Seems one could just forget about those clips. He had to have shoulder surgery.

Running has worked for me for decades but it's not for every body. Some people aren't built for it and some are bored with it and some hurt themselves through poor practices.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
A friend of mine got somewhat badly injured just trying to clip his shoes into those toe clips.
One of the first times I rode with clip in's, I forgot to unclip when I stopped, and fell over. This is a common occurrence. However, it happened that I fell into a lane of the freeway! Luckily there was no car there, or I could have died. There aren't so many cars on the freeways here.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I used to lament being a slow runner, although I enjoy 10K and half-marathon races from my vantage point in the back of the pack.

A couple of years ago, I hit on a new way of goal setting that helps a lot with motivation. My goal is now just to finish in the top half of my age group. I'm able to do that often enough that I have a realistic challenge and a great motivator to do my training.
I used to be a middle of the pack runner in races during the early 80's. I'm still running at the same pace that I ran when I was in my 20's. Since most runners in my age group here have gained weight, aged excessively, and slowed down, I finished 3rd and 1st in my age group in the 2 races I ran last year. My SIL wants me to go to a race a month with her, but I don't want to - these races are expensive. My motivation is just to run 5 days a week - every week, and get/stay in shape.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Not to combine threads but to help my chloresterol - I meditate while eating bacon(two slices) scrambled eggs and grits twice a week.

And then and then remembering I am supposed to post the results on a website for those who watch me - 8 to 11 k steps/day plus strength machines at the Senior Center 2-3 times/wk. Age 50 to 65 in ER I was a slacker. Then I 'volunteered' .

Bacon, exercise and the chloresterol POlice.

heh heh heh - somebody had to say bacon. . And yes my weight, BP, and HDL/LDL numbers all got better. Mum on the bacon though.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh - somebody had to say bacon. . And yes my weight, BP, and HDL/LDL numbers all got better. Mum on the bacon though.
Your secret is safe with us.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Most days after workouts I have Bacon or ham along with eggs an' lotsa butter. A while back DeVany's on his web site advocated 15 hours from evening meal to the next... brunch?

I average 16 hours. And average 172 to 178 lb.

Oh yeah, the tread is about workout....

Ju Jutsu 2x/week about 2 hrs, followed by rowing machine for 7 minutes and free weights for about 20 minutes (low weight rapid movements) ie. throwing straight punches, hooks, uppercuts with 10lb dumbells.
Figure skating 3x/week 1.5 to 2 hrs. With some wood chopping for amusement.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I think trail biking makes a lot of sense. I'm hopeful to learn to do this a bit but find that the rocky trails where we live are very challenging.
I had a pretty good trail bike and we lived near a big tree farm, so my son and I went often. He got to be very good. In summer he does it all the time, and makes a few trips to downhill at Whistler. When he downhills he wears full body armor. He looks like Darth Vader. But the crashes these guys take can be awful. I could hill climb pretty well, but charging down those steep rocky trails with a humungous tree root just waiting to send me over the handlebars made me decide to give up mountain biking. The other thing that sometime bothered me was the exposure- I'd come around a turn and suddenly there was a 400 foot canyon and a narrow crappy out-sloping trail.

Then I found out what a careless driver on a country road could do to me even in a car, so I decided that I was done with bicycles until another lifetime. Close to being done with cars too. I mostly travel by shank's mare.

Ha
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Apparently! I still don't see that. To me she looks like she is listening closely, and a caring, understanding, even empathic woman. That is why I chose that avatar.
haha beat me to it. Young, lovely, caring, understanding, even empathic woman - that is so hot! You'd see it if you were a guy! Hey, I 'get' your crush on Clint Eastwood, a little empathy for us guys! (j/k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Then I found out what a careless driver on a country road could do to me even in a car, so I decided that I was done with bicycles until another lifetime. Close to being done with cars too. I mostly travel by shank's mare.

Ha
Another one I had to look up!

Quote:
Shank’s mare: I’m intrigued by this term for walking. However, my reference books, and a cursory AOL internet search, provide scant information on its derivation. I know you’ll be much better informed.

A: I am better informed, but it took more work than I expected, as it isn’t in some of my standard references.

It’s Scottish, dating from the eighteenth century. There was a verb, to shank or to shank it, meaning to go on foot. This is from standard English shank for the part of the leg from the knee to the ankle, which comes from Old English sceanca, the leg bone. This verb developed into shank’s naig or shank’s naigie (where the second words are local forms of nag, a horse) and later into shank’s mare. It was a wry joke: I haven’t got a horse of my own for the journey, so I’ll use Shank’s mare to get there, meaning I’ll go on my own two feet. This supposed link with a person called Shank explains why the first word is often capitalised.

Another form, now more common in Britain, is shank’s pony.
I think the term horseradish is somewhat similar in derivation. The radishes grew by the sea (mare in Latin), so the term 'mare' got it warped from sea-radish to 'mare-radish' to 'horse-radish' along the way.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are not into overnight camping, very much amateurs by your standards. Our hikes on a given day are usually 10 - 20 miles and a climb of no more than 2 - 3k feet.
You are not amateurs by my standards. I push it on some hikes for endurance training, but the hikes you do are the level that I find the most fun. I'll bet you have seen some beautiful scenery.

If you guys are ever in the Pacific Northwest and want to go hiking let me know, I'd love to hike with you and could show you some awesome places.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #150
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
You are not amateurs by my standards. I push it on some hikes for endurance training, but the hikes you do are the level that I find the most fun. I'll bet you have seen some beautiful scenery.

If you guys are ever in the Pacific Northwest and want to go hiking let me know, I'd love to hike with you and could show you some awesome places.

-helen
That's good to know Helen.

We have seen some beautiful places and never tire of watching the photos we've taken pop up on our screen saver.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #151
gone traveling

I have been alternating between strength oriented workouts (5x5) and hypertrophy ones (3X10) switching between the two every few month. I decided to change it up a bit and last night started to do lifts at 50% of max, doing just one set, but going to failure rep wise. It really surprised me how much this kicked my butt. I will alternate between this and strength every other week and see how this works over the next few months. Experimentation with different workout plans and keeping your muscles guessing can be a good thing.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote