Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I generally walk for an hour on very hilly terrain 5 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week. I am going to change to more aoerobic style more intensity and lift less weights as my joints are really starting to bark. Dont want to do permanent damage. Going to look at some kettle ball activities, too
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I have been doing the Body by Science high intensity set once a week. 5 core exercises, one set of ~12 reps each super slow to total muscle exhaustion. I probably wuss out a bit on the level of max I reach but I still have better tone and definition than I had with my 3x weekly less intense routine I had been following for 30 years. I add in about 3 20-30 mile bike rides a week or some time on a stationery bike if the weather sucks. I would love to run but it messed with my joints.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get up in the morning, go to bed at night. Repeat daily!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have always heard that the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do. I am still looking for the best exercise!

That is why I do aquatic Zomba . The music makes the hour speed by . You feel like you are on an island rather than in a gym doing exercise now if only they would serve Margarita's I would attend every class !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Whenever asked for advice on a single machine to do a workout, I always recommend the elliptical trainer.

For the last couple of years we have done deep water interval training which again has no impact but is a great way to get the heart pumping.

I was at the gym tonight and they just got a water elliptical trainer . I can't wait to try it !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

For over a year we have gone to the gym regularly 3 days a week, each time working out for an hour or sometimes a little longer. No matter what else I do, I always do weights - - two sets of 10 on each of 19 weight machines, every gym day. We went today and this is what I did. Guess I am in a pattern because this is what feels good and healthy and fun to me, and I am still progressing and feeling healthier and more capable as time passes.

For a while last summer I was also enjoying the Concept 2 rowing machine there. I have used various other gym equipment there, as the mood strikes me, and many are terrific machines but nothing has really "stuck" as part of my permanent routine, the way the weight machines have.

As soon as I can get rid of the infernal chest cold that I presently have, I intend to start riding on my exercycle again at home. That should be pretty soon, I would expect.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

5 days a week I do an hour on the elliptical, at a targeted heart rate. Three days a week I'm also doing crunches and obliques. I take the weekend off...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Of all Post-Retirement resolutions... the "Getting in the best shape of my life" plan has been my most disappointing.

I'm not really sure why.

Pre-retirement I worked-out daily (Running, Cycling, Elliptical, Kettle bell, Hanging Crunches, etc.). It was almost a requirement in order to relieve the j*b stress and keep my weight in check (I w*rked in the food industry). Now that I have all the time in the world, however, I never seem to fit "exercise" in.

After much thought, I've determined that three factors caused this... The loss of a routine, the elimination of stress and the natural weight loss found by not being surrounded by food. All good things... except that, together, they sabotaged my fitness goals.

So, with the new year came a resolution to redouble my efforts & "shape up". I'm selling my road bikes... bought an elliptical w/heart rate monitor (delivering next week), and am planning a routine very similar to M Paquette's - adding several days of pull/push ups, kettle bell swings and alternating the elliptical with running (much to my dog's approval).

Wish me luck!
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #29

I do pushups, crunches, and dips 5 days a week 3 reps of 25 each. I still need to figure out what kind of excercise to do to keep loosened up. seems like my legs are always stiff, but I walk to the post office every day about a half mile each way. any suggestions? don't like to run, it seems to hard on the joints, so I walk when I go.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
how many former runners do you know who can no longer run due to knee problems?
That's an "individual differences" thing. If you enjoy it, why not do it until it causes problems?

I started running in my 20s, and routinely ran 30-40 miles a week through my 30s and early 40s. Now in my 60s, I'm down to usually about 15 miles a week, but I still enjoy it just as much. I do one or two half-marathons and several 10-Ks every year.

Developed a bit of a knee problem a few years ago, but wearing a Cho-Pat strap on that knee has taken care of it nicely. I'll keep running as long as I can.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #31

I love to run, and while I don't hate weightlifting I don't enjoy it either. So, I run 3-4 times per week and squeeze in 2-3 weight sessions/week. I'm 59, have been a runner for 14 years, and am currently recovering from a 2-month "disabled list" from a bad case of runner's knee. However, that is the first knee problem I've encountered, and I'm now recovered enough to resume running.
I believe there have been other studies that show running does NOT cause long-term knee problems unless one already has a propensity for it (e.g., arthritis).
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #32
gone traveling

Relative to exercise routines, I would start by saying what is your goal(s) (eg loose fat/add muscle, improve cardio, increase flexibility, gain strength, general health, sports specific, etc) and then design a plan that works for you. Some experimentation may be needed to see what works best for you, and even after doing a successful routine for a while, it may need to be changed up because it stops working or your goals changed and also because sometimes its just good to keep your body guessing.

When I came down with diabetes I noticed a real loss of strength and stamina. After walking off about 30 lbs of weight by walking 3/miles day and eating better, I hit the gym and started strength training. I did a full body routine for about a year 3X per week using free weights and machines, and also jogged 3 mile/2x per week. For the past couple of years, I have been doing a split routine 3X week, ~ 1-1:15 hr/session, and
no jogging/walking. I also alternate my splits every 3-4 months between strength (5-6 reps) at higher weights and hypertrophy (rep 8-12 range) less weight. I do not do circuits, but typically do a few warm up sets and then 3 working sets.

It was really tough going when I first hit the gym, but this has kind on grown into a hobby for me and I am very diligent and consistent in making it to the gym. I find it enjoyable competing against myself and seeing the results in the mirror and in my ability to do more at my age (almost 63). That said, I still believe the most important ingredient in your fitness plan will be what you eat and would say that accounts for 60% of my results.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
... I still need to figure out what kind of excercise to do to keep loosened up. seems like my legs are always stiff, but I walk to the post office every day about a half mile each way. any suggestions? ....
I highly recommend a daily dose of Scott Sonnen's Intuflow beginner routine (which can be found on youtube), and transitioning to the intermediate program as you improve. He has posted both the beginner and intermediate program, so they are available at no cost. I think the beginner program is in 6 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...675l2.7.2l11l0
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
I highly recommend a daily dose of Scott Sonnen's Intuflow beginner routine (which can be found on youtube), and transitioning to the intermediate program as you improve. He has posted both the beginner and intermediate program, so they are available at no cost. I think the beginner program is in 6 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...675l2.7.2l11l0
I've heard a lot of positive's about Scott as a trainer. I believe he trains a lot of police and military personnel and has developed many different types of routines for various purposes.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Stl Post had an interesting article today about a trainer whose clientle is overweight african-american woman. Yells, curses at them, name calls, has wall fame and shame, swats them occassionally with a plastic whiffle ball bat if not going hard enough, and fines them for not dropping weight. The experts that were commenting on the program said "negative reinforcement" does not work and the program appears borderline misogynistic. The funny thing was the woman swear by it and are proud of their results. Oddly enough, most of the women were professional, college educated woman. I know all experts in every field seem to hate negative reinforcement, but it has always worked for me. I need a trainer like that to take me to the next level. Fear of failure always motivated me more than success motivated me.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I do pushups, crunches, and dips 5 days a week 3 reps of 25 each. I still need to figure out what kind of excercise to do to keep loosened up. seems like my legs are always stiff, but I walk to the post office every day about a half mile each way. any suggestions? don't like to run, it seems to hard on the joints, so I walk when I go.
Yoga or Pilates come to mind for loosening up...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I walk (briskly) ~2 miles 4-5 days a week and do a once a week yoga class. I know that's not enough - I should be doing some kind of weights - but have never figured out what would work for me. DH suggests I join his gym, but I've never enjoyed / stuck with a gym in the past and don't think I would now. But I figure what I'm doing is much better than nothing so I'll stick with it for now.
MB- if you don't like the gym, you can do a lot of strength training in your house, with little or no equipment. Push-ups, crunches, tricep dips on chairs/stairs, squats, lunges, calf raises.....you can create whole routines just using your body weight. Or get some basic equipment - a stability ball and some dumbells, and your options grow even more. You can find tons of exercises on the 'net - try Health magazine or Sparkpeople, as two options for ideas.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
Of all Post-Retirement resolutions... the "Getting in the best shape of my life" plan has been my most disappointing.

I'm not really sure why.

Pre-retirement I worked-out daily (Running, Cycling, Elliptical, Kettle bell, Hanging Crunches, etc.). It was almost a requirement in order to relieve the j*b stress and keep my weight in check (I w*rked in the food industry). Now that I have all the time in the world, however, I never seem to fit "exercise" in.

After much thought, I've determined that three factors caused this... The loss of a routine, the elimination of stress and the natural weight loss found by not being surrounded by food. All good things... except that, together, they sabotaged my fitness goals.

So, with the new year came a resolution to redouble my efforts & "shape up". I'm selling my road bikes... bought an elliptical w/heart rate monitor (delivering next week), and am planning a routine very similar to M Paquette's - adding several days of pull/push ups, kettle bell swings and alternating the elliptical with running (much to my dog's approval).

Wish me luck!
Good luck, but it doesn't sound like you need it! Before long, exercise will be come part of your daily retirement routine. Enjoy that elliptical! Like MPaquette on his elliptical, and like you plan to do as well, on my exercycle I keep my pulse in a target range. This helps me to improve at a realistic pace. I especially love the programs that mimic hills and so on, because they make it more interesting and challenging, and you probably have some on your elliptical as well. Even though I go to the gym regularly, I prefer to do cardio at home because it only requires one machine and I can do it while watching TV in the evenings.

Before retirement, I had to battle traffic to get to the gym during rush hour after work. When I got there I was exhausted before I could even start and in a hurry to finish so that I could run errands or go home and fix dinner. So although I did use the gym frequently then, it has been so much easier for me to work out regularly in retirement. I hope it becomes part of your daily ER routine as well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
.... IOW, how many former runners do you know who can no longer run due to knee problems?
A few. And it's questionable whether running caused their knee problems. Most of the former runners I know have other problems such as bad backs, bad ankles, obesity or laziness that prevent them from running. Most of these people no longer want to make the commitment to stay fit by doing any kind of exercise.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Monday-row for 3 miles in my rowing shell (about 45 minutes), tuesday- peddle 3 miles hobby Kayak (about 45 minutes), Wednesday work 45 minutes on core and stretching.

repeat row on thursday, and peddle kayak on friday. Really works up a sweat
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote