What is your workout

cardude said:
This will scew up my workout routine. I like to run 3x per week, but I tripped at the deer lease and fell on a pointed log. Can't walk much less run.

Thank God the shorts weren't damaged!

I started a new workout in December that is 6 days a week for about 30 minutes to complete. Day 1, 3, and 5 I do three circuits with dumbells that are only multijoint or compound exercises. One or two minutes of rest between circuits. On days 2, 4, and 6, I do a high intensity cardio on a treadmill for 20 minutes with alternating speeds that gets my heart rate up to 90%. So far so good. I feel great.

You workout sounds really good.

Suggest changing half your cardio workouts to be longer and slower, say 45 minutes at a max 75% RHR. That causes different changes in the body than your intense workouts.

For your lifting I would suggest getting the books by Frederic Delavier "Strength Training Anatomy" and "Strength Training Anatomy Workout". Be sure you are strengthening your posteriod deltoids and mid/lower traps. He says they are under developed in most trained people and the over trained chest pulls the shoulder joint out of alignment.

Hi, interalia.

I see that you just registered on this forum today, so welcome to the ER Forum.

Please take the time to introduce yourself in the "Hi, I am..." section of the forum so that we can get to know you. Thanks!

This has been a great thread.

My workout routine for the last five weeks has been walking on the beach with my DH. We are up to four miles a day and do it just about every day. I'm amazed at how much of a workout we are getting just by walking on sand. I've definitely noticed an increase in strength and I've probably lost some weight even though I've been eating more. (can't stop trying all the good food around here, lol)

We are also in the process of getting an exercise room together in a spare unit in our condo building with some of the neighbors. We donated an elliptical, somebody else donated a weight bench/weights so soon I plan to add some work with the weights. I probably won't use our elliptical anymore because like I said I am getting a good work out on the sand.

Hi, interalia.

I see that you just registered on this forum today, so welcome to the ER Forum.

Please take the time to introduce yourself in the "Hi, I am..." section of the forum so that we can get to know you. Thanks!
WTR, what happened to your lovely avatar? Or was that reallly you?

I highly recommend crossfit.com. I've been using crossfit for approx 6 yrs or so. It's very tailorable and it's completely self-paced. Of course, you get out of it what you put into it.

Walk the dog, morning & evening for about half an hour each, regardless of the weather. From late April to early November try to go for jog or bike ride about 3 times a week, hard to stay regular though. Hate indoor exercising, I get so bored in five minutes. This year found that if I set up my laptop to stream Netflix (with headphones), I can tolerate a 45 minute workout while watching Star Trek Next Generation. Will be heading downstairs for my workout in about 15.

You workout sounds really good.

Suggest changing half your cardio workouts to be longer and slower, say 45 minutes at a max 75% RHR. That causes different changes in the body than your intense workouts.

For your lifting I would suggest getting the books by Frederic Delavier "Strength Training Anatomy" and "Strength Training Anatomy Workout". Be sure you are strengthening your posteriod deltoids and mid/lower traps. He says they are under developed in most trained people and the over trained chest pulls the shoulder joint out of alignment.
This is why I do multijoint exercises because they hit various muscle groups all at once. I am also starting to incorporate longer and slower runs like you have suggested. I will also take a look at book you are suggesting. It is always good to get ideas from others. Thank you and welcome to the group.

WTR, what happened to your lovely avatar? Or was that reallly you?

The lovely blonde in my usual avatar isn't me - - she's German model/actress Eva Habermann. IRL I look like the nearsighted 63-year-old retired scientist/engineer that I am. That avatar was one of the defaults under the old forum software, so I continued to use it even after the upgrade.

I saw this adorable little kitty photo online, and thought it might be nice for a change. Isn't it cute? :D Makes me want to hug it, and almost (but not quite) makes me want to have a pet once again. I saved the Eva avatar in case this one gets tiresome.

Last edited:
Swimming 1.1 KM 3 days a week, walking 3-4 miles once a week, and weight machines and free weights for 45 minutes 1 day a week.

-- Rita

I walk 2-3 miles a day with the mutt. Some days we do a 5 mile walk at a local park. Play lot's of golf, but use a golf cart. Today it is raining, probably not going to do much of anything.

I got on my exercise bike today for the first time in about a year. Boy do I feel out of shape.

Nice to "get on the saddle again", as the saying goes.

Speaking of saddles (i.e., bicycle seats), the biggest drawback of riding an exercise bike, in my opinion is the uncomfortable seats. So, I searched the internet, and found that there are such things as adaptors so that an exercise bike can use a regular bike seat. I need that! So I went ahead and ordered that along with a new bicycle seat -- heck..maybe I will keep my New Year's resolution after all. :)

The lovely blonde in my usual avatar isn't me - - she's German model/actress Eva Habermann. IRL I look like the nearsighted 63-year-old retired scientist/engineer that I am. That avatar was one of the defaults under the old forum software, so I continued to use it even after the upgrade.

I saw this adorable little kitty photo online, and thought it might be nice for a change. Isn't it cute? :D Makes me want to hug it, and almost (but not quite) makes me want to have a pet once again. I saved the Eva avatar in case this one gets tiresome.

The kitten is cute, but Eva is HOT!!!

The kitten is cute, but Eva is HOT!!!

Apparently! I still don't see that. To me she looks like she is listening closely, and a caring, understanding, even empathic woman. That is why I chose that avatar.

Apparently! I still don't see that. To me she looks like she is listening closely, and a caring, understanding, even empathic woman. That is why I chose that avatar.
I just Googled pics of her.....she IS hot!

(She may, or may not, also be caring, understanding and empathic. ;) )

Last edited:
I try to get an hour of cardio in six days a week and two days of weight training. When the weather permits I do a lot of hiking on the weekends and aim for high elevation gain hikes. Last Sunday was a 9 mile 3200 ft. elevation gain hike. This coming Saturday I will do a 14 mile and 4800 ft. elevation gain hike.

When the nice weather hits I am going to be ready to put my backpack on and hit the mountains. Knowing that I will be 54 this year and may not be able to backpack much longer is very motivating.

I do the weight lifting, cardio, and walking, etc, too, which mentally I need as well as physically. However, what really makes me feel like I have discovered the "fountain of middle age" is consistenly incorporating stretching into my routine. This has really loosened up the body and a lot of joint aches have gone away because of this.

I'm doing 3 strength training classes a week. Also doing at least 45 minutes of cardio on elliptical trainer 4 to 5 times a week at increased levels. After the strength training class I often hop on the elliptical for some extra cardio. Sometimes, after the 45 minutes of cardio and on a non-strength training class day, I hop on a few of the strength building machines. Try to have a couple of days totally off.
I started and built up to this schedule from September and feel so much better.

I do the weight lifting, cardio, and walking, etc, too, which mentally I need as well as physically. However, what really makes me feel like I have discovered the "fountain of middle age" is consistenly incorporating stretching into my routine. This has really loosened up the body and a lot of joint aches have gone away because of this.

Yes, me too! I thought I had really bad osteoarthritis in my hip joints, and the pain seemed so bad (or I was such a wimp) that my doctor put me on Celebrex for it ten years ago. Stretching at the gym on my MFW workout days has all but eliminated that pain for me.

Last week I felt rebellious and didn't' stretch on Wednesday or Friday. When Monday rolled around, my hip was bothering me again so I did my stretching. Maybe stretching doesn't help everybody, but it sure helps me.

A little late to the party here but here's my routine. 1/2 hour on the tread mill, and 1/2 hour doing various stretches, 200 sit up crunches and some weights. 7 days a week as it's just part of what I do when I get up, when ever that is.

Now if I could just stop eating and lose some weight, that would be a good thing.

W2R said:
Yes, me too! I thought I had really bad osteoarthritis in my hip joints, and the pain seemed so bad (or I was such a wimp) that my doctor put me on Celebrex for it ten years ago. Stretching at the gym on my MFW workout days has all but eliminated that pain for me.

Last week I felt rebellious and didn't' stretch on Wednesday or Friday. When Monday rolled around, my hip was bothering me again so I did my stretching. Maybe stretching doesn't help everybody, but it sure helps me.

+1 I have to learn that "lesson" over and over. I really hate stretching, because it is boring to me, but I know I must do it a minimum of three times a week.

...(snip)...
All our bodies are so different, it's obvious but still amazes me. I've found that a few times a week of ankle rolls has eliminated the Achilles tightness I developed probably from running a lot. Also a little stretching in the middle of runs has helped my mild IT band issues and possibly prevented some other symptoms from developing.

But I agree with others that stretching is boring.

I try to get an hour of cardio in six days a week and two days of weight training. When the weather permits I do a lot of hiking on the weekends and aim for high elevation gain hikes. Last Sunday was a 9 mile 3200 ft. elevation gain hike. This coming Saturday I will do a 14 mile and 4800 ft. elevation gain hike.

When the nice weather hits I am going to be ready to put my backpack on and hit the mountains. Knowing that I will be 54 this year and may not be able to backpack much longer is very motivating.

That sounds so depressing :)

We are also keen hikers, and one thing we've noticed, and talked about, is that we see many folks hiking that are much older than us (we are 56 and 55). We think hiking in the hills is great aerobic exercise that we should be able to do well into our senior years.

That sounds so depressing :)

We are also keen hikers, and one thing we've noticed, and talked about, is that we see many folks hiking that are much older than us (we are 56 and 55). We think hiking in the hills is great aerobic exercise that we should be able to do well into our senior years.

I always notice people older than myself out there hiking, especially the rare times I go during the week. The retirees wait until at least Tuesday to hit the trails - smart!

Backpacking is a bit different. Adding 30 pounds of weight to the knees then going down steep trails can be a bit hard on the body. I have seen people way older than myself out there backpacking though and it is really encouraging to me.

I kind of like my new mind set of pushing myself because I know my time is finite. It is a great motivator for me. There are so many beautiful places to hike and backpack and not enough free time to see it all.

I'm thinking of hiking the John Muir Trail the summer I retire, I just might be able to do it too.

All our bodies are so different, it's obvious but still amazes me. I've found that a few times a week of ankle rolls has eliminated the Achilles tightness I developed probably from running a lot. Also a little stretching in the middle of runs has helped my mild IT band issues and possibly prevented some other symptoms from developing.

But I agree with others that stretching is boring.

I forgot about that part! One of the reasons I started stretching in the first place, was a similar Achilles problem that I had at one time. Solved that so nicely that I forgot to even mention it. In the process, found out that my "osteoarthritis" was actually tightening of tissues due to aging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom