What to eat for breakfast?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I recently read this advice on what to eat for breakfast. Does anybody else notice anything odd about this advice?

What You Should Eat for Breakfast
A healthful breakfast does NOT include many of the traditional breakfast foods. Avoid sugar-added drinks and foods; eat whole fruits instead of drinking fruit juices. Avoid processed meats such as bacon, ham or sausage, and other meat from mammals. Avoid fried foods and foods made with highly-processed grains such as pancakes, waffles or French toast, and many types of breakfast cereal. Oatmeal and other breakfast cereals made with whole grains, with no added sugars, rarely cause a high rise in blood sugar.

The quote is out of context. There is a concluding clause about high blood sugar which is probably the main theme of the article.

Overall, you end up with a boring breakfast.

-- Rita

Looks like what I've seen before, pretty much just eat oatmeal. But I'm bad at spotting missing things.

Most of the breakfast-eaters that I know eat small amounts of oatmeal, fresh fruit, or yogurt for breakfast.

Honestly I haven't known anyone who regularly eats a "farm breakfast" (bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, etc) for at least 30 years.

I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal topped with a bit of granola and a small single swirl of honey, plus a bagel topped with sunflower butter and a little "whole fruit spread" for a few years. Then I figured out that my ~800 calorie breakfast was making me "hungry" about three hours later because the carbs and sugars were spiking my blood sugar in the morning. (Side note: I am an endurance athlete, so I thought I needed to be carb-heavy in the morning).

Now (still an endurance athlete), I eat about 1/3 cup of 4% milkfat cottage cheese mixed with a splash of coconut milk, a scoop of vanilla whey protein isolate powder and about 1/4 cup of blueberries, and I'm good till noon (five hours later) at about 1/2 the calories and no effect on my training. The fat and protein keep me sated, and I don't need as many carbs as I used to consume.

I absolutely eat bacon and eggs on the weekends... just not with the sugary/grainy carbs. Bacon, eggs, and some berries/cherries, or an orange.

Last edited:
I used to eat cereal or toast for breakfast. I usually had a mid morning snack too, since I was hungry by then.

Now I eat eggs for breakfast every day. I vary them a bit - omelets with different cheeses, scrambled eggs sometimes with mixed in bacon or sausage bits, fried eggs and a side of sausage.

No more need to snack in the morning.

NO BACON?!?!

Egads. :eek:

Every morning my grandpa ate bacon, eggs, gravy and biscuits. When gravy wasn't available, he'd dip the biscuits in leftover bacon grease.

Too bad this info wasn't around when my grandpa was alive. He might have lived longer than his 95 years.

My FIL would cook his bacon and then crack open his eggs in the hot bacon grease and take a spoon and ladle some of the hot grease over the top of the eggs - it ended up being a cross between sunny-side up and over easy fried eggs. Delicious albeit a bit high in calories.

Sometimes I'll cook bacon and then scrape the bacon grease off the griddle with a spatula and then "toast" my bread on the griddle where it absorbs any residual bacon grease. Also delicious but unhealthy.

Sometimes I'll cook bacon and then scrape the bacon grease off the griddle with a spatula and then "toast" my bread on the griddle where it absorbs any residual bacon grease. Also delicious but unhealthy.

I wouldn't necessarily soak up the grease with bread, but I cook eggs, steaks, chops, chicken, even fish, basically anything seared or pan-fried with bacon grease frequently and don't believe it's the least bit unhealthy. Saturated fats get an unnecessary bad rap, IMO. But that's for another forum!

Eggs - everyone should learn to love them! I'd eat them every day if I had the time to cook in the morning.

This sounds like advice based on our current best understanding of what's healthiest to eat for breakfast for the typical American. I see nothing particularly unusual or strange about it.

I eat a bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal with a banana or berries and a tablespoon of ground flax seed every morning. I also have a glass of home-made kefir or cup of Greek yogurt for protein. The combination keeps me well satisfied until lunch. I find this to be a very healthful breakfast. I often have a hard boiled egg for lunch, so I get eggs in too--love them!

My grandparents used to eat a very copious breakfast rich in saturated fat, but as farmers they were far more active than I am. If I ate the way they did, it'd go straight to my waistline. So I go for a light breakfast: toast, yogurt, tea, and fruits.

What bothered me is that despite the title most of the recommendations are what not to eat.

This seems like normal breakfast food to me. I've seen people waking up and eating a big plate of bacon, potatoes, eggs, white bread, juice, and even sugary pastries, but clearly that is supposed to be considered a "treat", and not something you normally eat every morning. It would be a rare exception to find someone eating like that every day and not being massively overweight and out of shape.

NO BACON?!?!

Egads. :eek:

Every morning my grandpa ate bacon, eggs, gravy and biscuits. When gravy wasn't available, he'd dip the biscuits in leftover bacon grease.

Too bad this info wasn't around when my grandpa was alive. He might have lived longer than his 95 years.

Those old timers just wouldn't listen!

I'm sorry, no protein/fat? Whole grains? Oatmeal with NO sugar or butter?

Outdated gobbledygook. You won't actually live longer, but it will seem like it...

Well, let's put it this way...if you can eat bacon, eggs, hash browns, and buttered toast every day, and still be the appropriate weight for your height and body size, then go for it! However, if eating this way has caused you to forget what your feet look like because you can't see past your belly, then enough said.

Well, let's put it this way...if you can eat bacon, eggs, hash browns, and buttered toast every day, and still be the appropriate weight for your height and body size, then go for it! However, if eating this way has caused you to forget what your feet look like because you can't see past your belly, then enough said.

As Shel Silverstein so aptly put it, "The wife said that when I could see my own d--k, she'd be glad to look at it too..."

A reasonably active adult male needs 2000 kcal or so per day. That's a lot of twigs and berries!

Well, let's put it this way...if you can eat bacon, eggs, hash browns, and buttered toast every day, and still be the appropriate weight for your height and body size, then go for it!

I am one of those people. Add pastries, ice cream, chips, whatever...
I choose to eat a healthy diet in order to placate my fear of hospitals.
I have inside information. ;)

Most of the breakfast-eaters that I know eat small amounts of oatmeal, fresh fruit, or yogurt for breakfast.

Honestly I haven't known anyone who regularly eats a "farm breakfast" (bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, etc) for at least 30 years.

(raising hand)

My average daily breakfast is a microwaved egg, 5 thin slices of lunchmeat ham, a hash brown patty, slice of cheese, a dallop of jelly, slice of cheese, and a slice of bread - all strategically layered and balanced on said slice of bread.

Paired with about 6 oz or so of plain yogurt, a serving of fresh fruit, and some Almond milk to wash it all down with.

I wouldn't necessarily soak up the grease with bread, but I cook eggs, steaks, chops, chicken, even fish, basically anything seared or pan-fried with bacon grease frequently and don't believe it's the least bit unhealthy. Saturated fats get an unnecessary bad rap, IMO. But that's for another forum!

Eggs - everyone should learn to love them! I'd eat them every day if I had the time to cook in the morning.
People incorrectly think that the cholesterol in eggs are "bad for you". Let 'em think that. We know better ;)

I've been following a very low carb breakfast for years. The only carbs I get at breakfast are non-refined plant-based foods (i.e. veggies). It might sound weird, but I often eat eggs and spinach. I add olive oil to bump-up the calories (calories: 75% fat, 20% protien, 5% carbs). I'm not hungry at all until lunch using this macronutrient profile. If I eat any refined carbs at breakfast (i.e. typical American breakfast), I'm stuffing something else in my face by 10AM.

People incorrectly think that the cholesterol in eggs are "bad for you". Let 'em think that. We know better ;)

I've been following a very low carb breakfast for years. The only carbs I get at breakfast are non-refined plant-based foods (i.e. veggies). It might sound weird, but I often eat eggs and spinach. I add olive oil to bump-up the calories (calories: 75% fat, 20% protien, 5% carbs). I'm not hungry at all until lunch using this macronutrient profile. If I eat any refined carbs at breakfast (i.e. typical American breakfast), I'm stuffing something else in my face by 10AM.

Me too. My typical breakfast is two farm eggs scrambled with a bunch of kale thrown in (or whatever greens I have on hand......sometimes spinach, sometimes chard), with some shredded cheese added. In addition, I have a small bowl of berries (blueberries, blackberries, etc)., and a big mug of green tea. Works for me..........

For me it's one egg (usually scrambled with cheese, onions, and peppers), one whole wheat toast with real butter, and one bacon. One day a week I eat in addition yellow hominy grits with real butter.

For me it's one egg (usually scrambled with cheese, onions, and peppers), one whole wheat toast with real butter, and one bacon. One day a week I eat in addition yellow hominy grits with real butter.
I often have onions and peppers as my morning veggie. Trader Joe's sells "Ménage à trois"...that's just peppers of red, yellow and green!! Nothing more. Some people.:nonono:

Back
Top Bottom