Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled View Post
Would you guys (and mods) like it if I were to start a separate diet and fitness Q&A thread? I'm a long-time runner, healthy eater, and general fitness nut…especially with respect to outdoor sports. As I mentioned, I'm partners in a training business and I've edited four training books. Oh, and I retired from my corporate job at 36.

As long as there was interest I'd try to visit the thread every couple of days and answer questions. The one thing I'd ask is that I be allowed to link to the books I sell.
Gratefuled,

You've got my vote!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not feel that we should have an appointed or anointed exercise expert. Various citzens have tried various things, and reported on their results. These people also do not want permision to hawk their books.

That is best.

It might also be mentioned that there are thousands of gyms and websites, each with the one true method. Is it likely that there is a universally best method?

If someone does want help, complete with videos and marketing, YouTube awaits, on demand.

Ha
Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We love the YMCA! I've been doing the Les Mills Bodypump Classes several times weekly and I can really see a dif. I enjoy having an instructor lead the class, keeps me from having to think and with other people performing the same maneuvers, I work harder. A bit of competition?
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the first reply, that a combination of cutting calories and cardio should work. I just cut portions on most parts of the meal, and cut way down on junk food and alcohol. For cardio, whatever you like and can do is good. I run, but a lot of people don't like it or their joints can't take it. Biking, walking, elliptical, swimming, all should work too if you can stick with it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher-Broke View Post
As far as I can see it, as long as you are healthy, it does not make that much difference if you put on a couple of pounds.
Where did you hear that?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I am 64 and have always been active, but with the long winter in the midwest and no work, I have put on a little weight. In the 5-10 pound range. what type of excercise do you people use to keep from putting on weight in the winter? What type of excercise do you do to get rid of the winter weight?
I have been going to the gym to lift weights for an hour, three times a week. Well, an hour total but during that hour I lift weights for 40 minutes (19 machines, 2x10 reps on each machine), stretch for 10 minutes, and the remainder of the time is taken up by dressing and undressing. Anyway, I have been steadily increasing weights and I am pleased with my progress.

Also, every evening I ride my recumbent exercycle for 30 minutes. It is so much fun, and has lots of pre-programmed routines and all the bells and whistles. Last night I rode 8 miles in 30 minutes on a programmed course with varying intensity, and I challenge myself to increase that distance and the difficulty of the course.

In combination with Weight Watchers, this routine has helped me to lose 17-18 pounds since the New Year and I haven't had to give up eating lunch out every day. I do think that controlling what I eat is more important to weight loss than exercise for me, but I am enjoying the exercise for what it is. I like being stronger, more capable, and less sedentary than before. I am 62 and female.

Hope this helps!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Where did you hear that?
Various places including a study reported in the Journal of the AMA

Quote:
Conclusions In this study population, fitness was a significant mortality predictor in older adults, independent of overall or abdominal adiposity. Clinicians should consider the importance of preserving functional capacity by recommending regular physical activity for older individuals, normal-weight and overweight alike.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Where did you hear that?
I agree with that, simply because a minor change in scale weight doesn't necessarily mean that fat has been added, especially in a "fit" person. Could be water, bad digestion, lean tissue, etc. That said, if you're noticeably gaining body fat it's probably the right time to make some sort of adjustment.
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #29

Quote:
In this study population, fitness was a significant mortality predictor in older adults, independent of overall or abdominal adiposity.
I don't see how it follows from this that adiposity is not a mortality predictor, independent of fitness.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't see how it follows from this that adiposity is not a mortality predictor, independent of fitness.
It doesn't.

Study Finds that Both Weight and Exercise Are Key to Longevity - December 22, 2004 -2004 Releases - Press Release Archives - Press Releases - Harvard School of Public Health

And for the most part these studies are all over the map, "proving" mostly whatever the investigators or their sponsors wished to have proven. When you think about it, all these factors interact very subtly with one another, and with other not named factors. For example, it may or may not be true that attaining normal weight by various different pathways leads to the same outcomes.

For me, I don't want to be fat, and I don't want to be unfit, but I also do not think that there is enough time in life to really make much sense out of all these studies. Most of us know fit people who died young, or who had MIs during a tennis match or basketball game and were saved by CPR and a timely 911 ride to the ER. Most of us also know fit people who lived a very long life.

It is hard for me to recall very fat men who lived to an advanced age, but that might just be a problem of recall. There are certainly thin men who died young of cardiovascular or other problems.

Peope die, people live. Often it seems more or less random, and likely not a large enough effect to set one's compass by. I believe that in modern America it would be difficult for a very sedentary middle aged person to be normal weight, and likewise for a meaningfully overweight person to be eating well.

Ha
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not qualified to answer that.

You asked the question of someone as to where did they hear that it is better to be fit than fat, and I simply Googled "better to be fit than fat", and found lots of hits including the one I posted.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I am not an exercise machine fan, so I put on some good tunes and dance in the living room. It is fun and definitely a light to medium cardio w*rkout.
I still have some lingering RSI (upper body) issues, so I have to go easy to avoid triggering all that mess again.
I also have a firm rule to get up every 20 minutes and do some mild activity such as laundry, empty dishwasher, get dinner going, etc.
And of course there is some fun exercise Mr B and I can do together...
Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
15 minutes on the weights, 30 min on the treadmill and 30 min on the stationary bike five days a week.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I like weight lifting because it's been most effective for my body weight and personal health/quality of life - and I can do it at home. I also enjoy riding my bike, but can't do that in winter. I also go for walks on treadmill in winter, but don't much like the latter. My wife wanted the treadmill, so I use it sometimes. And I just try to stay active in my everyday life, park far away, take stairs and not elevators, do some physical tasks at work even though I don't have to, etc.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #35

I agree with gopher that you pays your money and takes your chances, but its all about quality of life. I want to be able to do things and some of those things are physically demanding, so to do them you have to stay in shape. its not so much that I want to be a weightlifter or marathon runner. I simply don't want my retirement to go downhill because I am physically unable to do different things.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I agree with gopher that you pays your money and takes your chances, but its all about quality of life. I want to be able to do things and some of those things are physically demanding, so to do them you have to stay in shape. its not so much that I want to be a weightlifter or marathon runner. I simply don't want my retirement to go downhill because I am physically unable to do different things.
+1
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #37
gone traveling

A lot of folks that are looking for functional stength for various activities swear by CrossFit, although I feel it is pretty expensive and seems kind of cult like.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #38
gone traveling

Swimming, swimming, and swimming. Doing laps is great for us 50+ geezers since there's no stress, wear, or tear on knees, ankles, shins, etc. It's great cardio fitness... better than running in my opinion.

The only problem is finding a place for lap swimming that's reasonable in cost. It might be worth joining a local fitness center (that has a pool) for $50-60/month, or else local community colleges often provide local residents with cheap memberships for access to their pool.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
A lot of folks that are looking for functional stength for various activities swear by CrossFit, although I feel it is pretty expensive and seems kind of cult like.
I'll second the vote to look into crossfit workouts. The workouts are different every day, so you don't get that same old same old feeling and start letting your motivation slide. Crossfit.com posts the workouts everyday. Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

Don't be intimidated by the difficulty, you can also look up BrandX for easier levels of each daily workout.
CrossFit Brand X Forum| CrossFit WOD

There are no crossfit gyms in Dubuque, so I guess it's cheap when you just do it on your own in your garage or whatever.

The gym I go to in my town has people from ages 16-87 doing the same fun intense workouts, just scaling the load to each person's ability. The 87 year old guy can deadlift 200 lbs., and is quite proud of that. He comes 3-4 times a week, his 60 year old daughter and her 30-something daughter also come. Doing stuff with free weights and intensity will keep your muscles and joints strong, your coordination and balance keen, and you'll feel better than you have in years.

This stuff works, seriously, I'm a 42 year old woman, only weigh 125, and I just maxed my 1rep deadlift yesterday at 290 lbs. I couldn't ever do that when I was 20 years old, it's been so much fun doing all these things I never knew I could be capable of, haha.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eat "healthy" and 30 minutes a day on a treadmill watching your favorite tv program. No pain, lots of gain. Took off an average of 3 lbs every 6 months over past 6 years. Lost over 45 lbs total, went from a pre diabetic back to normal, always get a compliment from my doc.

Everybody does their own thing. I've recently added some upper body strength excercises and I'm looking at Yoga, but.........I just want to look better and have some extra time for excercise. Let me add I work a lot of hours and could have multiple excuses........excerise and diet mean life through health. It's that important!

All said, do what you like, what you'll do every day for the rest of your life.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote