Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Aw, that's nice of you, HFWR! They aren't as big as your numbers on the equivalent machines, but I guess I do more machines. That's probably where the higher tonnage comes from.
Before I went to 5x5, I did sets of ten on all those machines, so I have a feel for how much force you're applying to achieve those numbers...

I do "compound" movements. I don't isolate biceps or triceps or whatever, because they get worked pretty hard already on the three movements I do.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #222
Administrator

I try to emphasize the "fun factor", so that I look forward to my workouts and keep doing them. For me, fun seems to require the variety/interest of moving right along from machine to machine. Zing zing zing! (I'll omit the "Wh***" word but that applies too.)

Some of these machines are pretty close to the same. You will see several pairs like that if you look at my list, like the Cybex abdominal and Nautilus abdominal machines. Each member of similar pairs does seem to focus on slightly different muscles (higher abdominal muscles for Cybex and lower abdominal muscles for Nautilus, for example). So they are different enough that I still include them. Besides, I'd rather do 2 sets on 20 machines than 4 sets on 10, due to the fun factor.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #223
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another 4 KM tempo run this morning. It wasn't "fun" and I didn't "look forward to it" lol
But.. am getting faster each time... pain also has it's rewards..
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #224
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Another 4 KM tempo run this morning. It wasn't "fun" and I didn't "look forward to it" lol
But.. am getting faster each time... pain also has it's rewards..
Sounds like the fun in that, would be the fun of finishing and being done with it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lately on my bench press, I have deviated a bit from my typical 5x5 by pyramiding up as follows: 10 with bar only, 3 x 95, 5x135, 5x155, 5x175, 5x195, 5x205 and then I pyramid back down to failure on each set at 195, 175, 155, and 135. When I get back down to 135, I typically do about 17-18 reps on that last set. It has hammered my chest a lot more using this approach vs trying to go heavier doing only 5x5 exercise. I haven't tried for any single lift max in quite a while, but I used to hit the wall at about 215, and am hoping after a few months of this, I can get to a couple of reps at 225. I don't use a spotter, so I am always a bit nervous when going heavy. Last night the gym owner asked if I was in my early 50s, that made me .

Like HFWR, I put most of my emphasis on compound lifts, but do some of the accessary ones as well. Overall, I think squats and deadlifts do me the most good. I have not computed total weight lifted for a session, but this sort of progress tracking makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #226
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Lately on my bench press, I have deviated a bit from my typical 5x5 by pyramiding up as follows: 10 with bar only, 3 x 95, 5x135, 5x155, 5x175, 5x195, 5x205 and then I pyramid back down to failure on each set at 195, 175, 155, and 135. When I get back down to 135, I typically do about 17-18 reps on that last set. It has hammered my chest a lot more using this approach vs trying to go heavier doing only 5x5 exercise. I haven't tried for any single lift max in quite a while, but I used to hit the wall at about 215, and am hoping after a few months of this, I can get to a couple of reps at 225.
Terrific! Hope that works.

Quote:
I don't use a spotter, so I am always a bit nervous when going heavy.
At the gym, the trainers who stand around looking bored would probably be thrilled to spot you. Usually they are bored and would welcome the chance (and would much rather spot you than call an ambulance after an accident). As you might guess, I do tend to nag F to get a spotter when he is lifting free weights.

Quote:
Last night the gym owner asked if I was in my early 50s, that made me .
Regular exercise does wonders. There is a guy at my gym who is 82, and he looks about 53.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #227

Well I am walking 3+ miles daily instead of running with Skye dog. Skye is nursing her torn ACL, while Mr G is still whining about the $900 spent for the orthopedic brace, she is wearing. Good news is I haven't fallen down in the rocks, gravel, scree, 2 track, I call a road. Getting out to hike the higher elevations in the back yard, even down here 9K ft is cooler than the homestead.

Happy trails
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

I just hit the big 66 and continue to do my 4-5 mile walks in the late afternoon and early evening. Here in Houston that means the temp is still in the low to mid 90's with high humidity. Good hydration is very important.

I would like to do upper body exercises but have very limited movement of my right arm and shoulder. Three total shoulder replacements and two rotator cuff repairs. Any suggestions?

2soon2tell
Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #229
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
I just hit the big 66 and continue to do my 4-5 mile walks in the late afternoon and early evening. Here in Houston that means the temp is still in the low to mid 90's with high humidity. Good hydration is very important.

I would like to do upper body exercises but have very limited movement of my right arm and shoulder. Three total shoulder replacements and two rotator cuff repairs. Any suggestions?

2soon2tell
Great that you are doing that walking. It's a lot more then most Americans ever do.

Regarding upper body, I run a lot but don't do anything more then pushups and crunches. Could be why I look a bit like a T. Rex.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post

2soon2tell
I would try some light dumbells coupled with elastic tubing work. I have the same issue with my right shoulder (torn cuff, but never repaired). I started out light and with that work it did get stronger, but probably will never be like it was in my younger years.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #231
Administrator

Today's lifting went really well and without pushing myself very much I increased some of the weights (see post #218), reaching a personal best. Overall the total for today's workout was 19.1 tons.

Now, if only I could persuade myself to stick with some sort of cardio like walking or the stationary bike. Somehow it just seems to slide under my radar. Maybe tonight I'll do some walking in place with the "Walk It Out" game for my Wii.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #232

Nothing too strenous - just swimming lesson today. But yet I feel more tired than my usual 1.5 hours workout in the gym. Maybe I drank too much swimming pool water.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #233

Hill repeats this morning. 5 x 400m on a new hill with a slope of about 45 degrees in spots.
Liquid lava in the lungs on the way up the last couple of times.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #234
Confused about dryer sheets

On the dreadmill at lunch: speed intervals (6 x 400m @mile pace + 400m @easy pace) and 2.25 mi @ just slower than 5K pace. Felt great to do some faster running -- all my recent outdoor runs have been extremely slow paced due to Summer heat!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #235

Although my 70th birthday isn't until the end of next month, I caught a 'breakaway' this morning and did 70 stair repeats.

70 x 59 upward stairs = 4130; divided by 40 = ~103.25 office building storys.

Feelin' good.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #236
Administrator

It is so cool to read about all the different types of exercise that everyone is doing - - for example swimming, hill climbing, treadmill, and steps in the past few posts. As for me, I did the same weight lifting workout yesterday as I did on Wednesday, 19.1 tons. I worked SO hard at it and it seemed a lot harder than it did on Wednesday for some reason, but my heart rate monitor said it wasn't. I guess it just seemed harder because the gym temperature was a little warmer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #237
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It is so cool to read about all the different types of exercise that everyone is doing - - for example swimming, hill climbing, treadmill, and steps in the past few posts. As for me, I did the same weight lifting workout yesterday as I did on Wednesday, 19.1 tons.
I've been doing the same ol' boring routine-- calisthenics with spouse, taekwondo, "vigorous yardwork", and surfing. Mostly on separate days. I can combine dawn patrol with evening taekwondo, but mixing any of the others is just asking for trouble.

I've been reading Dick Couch's "Sua Sponte" book about Army Ranger training. Ye gods. And my cousin thinks that I had the tough military career?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #238
Administrator

Your workouts sound like a lot of fun, Nords, especially because you do so many different things. I have to admit that the "vigorous yardwork" part doesn't sound like as much fun as the rest, but it does need to get done somehow.

As for the Rangers, those guys are supermen IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been reading Dick Couch's "Sua Sponte" book about Army Ranger training. Ye gods. And my cousin thinks that I had the tough military career?!?
Wonder how Ranger training compares to Seals?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #240

I read Couch's Chosen Soldier.......those guys don't sit around either.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote