Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked out chest today. Bench press, flyes, and decline press. Then 30 min on the elliptical doing the cross country program. I've got 5 more weeks to lose 8 lbs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #262
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unfortunately they found the head last night... so someone came to a bad end there.. kind of creepy as it is a somewhat remote site in a city of 5 million. I'm often there doing hills and don't see anyone for 45 mins. at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Doing my workout vicariously by reading this thread today I got new walking shoes on Friday. Wore them for my normal 2 miles on Monday with no problem, but on Tuesday I realized after about 3/4 mile that I had a blister on my left heel.
I can highly recommend "Wrightsocks" They are a double layer, anti-blister running sock. At 12$ a pair they are hardly LBYM but some things are more important than money !! (not really, just kidding. Ha). I run about 25 to 30 miles a week and never have a blister thanks to them. Mind you, I am sure any double layer sock would do the same job.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Woo-hoo! Great workout, golfnut.
Thanks, appreciate it. It's going to be difficult losing 20 more pounds!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

48 hilly miles on the bike yesterday averaging about 16mph.

Today: dumbbells, planks, push-ups & chin-ups. About 15 minutes is all I can do at home before getting too bored or distracted. I wonder if joining a gym would give me more motivation...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
48 hilly miles on the bike yesterday averaging about 16mph.

Today: dumbbells, planks, push-ups & chin-ups. About 15 minutes is all I can do at home before getting too bored or distracted. I wonder if joining a gym would give me more motivation...
For me, getting out of the house to go to the gym is the only way I will work out. I have a bunch of unused exercise equipment in the basement to prove it. Plus the gym only costs $20 per month and it 2 miles from my house.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #266
Recycles dryer sheets

MBAustin,

If your blisters continue while walking try some Thor-los running socks along with some better innersoles. I had a problem with hot spots on my feet while walking long distances and the socks and innersoles helped.

Yesterday I walked my usual 5 miles in the late afternoon. Today is a rest day and early in the morning we will walk 7 miles. I belong to a marathon and half marathon training group and we are gearing up for the January 2013 races.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #267
Administrator

Still feeling under the weather, and a little weak and dizzy, so no weight lifting for me at the gym today. Instead I just rode on the seated elliptical for 30 minutes at a low resistance, 2, but briskly.

Oh, and I second the suggestion of Thorlo socks. I wear them every day, with my New Balance shoes, and they are so comfortable. These are not cheap, but they are the Cadillac of socks IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #268
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse and I worked out in our home gym today.

I've discovered that I can cram in three sets of pushups, situps, lunges, squats, and pullups (plus 15 minutes on the elliptical) during the time it takes her to do her workout. But I can only accomplish that if I stop wasting time between sets lying on the floor in a fetal ball, gasping for breath and sweating...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #269
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

07:15 a.m. 75 Stair repeats thus far; may not get to do an afternoon elliptical session as we're likely going to see the granddaughters.......so I'll classify today as a "Day Off".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #270

4.8 mile walk early while it was cool took 90 minutes. Good views of native plantings, a few blackberries for an along-the-way morning snack, and meeting 3 dogs and their people: a Dalmatian, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and a Yorkie named Bruce.

-- Rita
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
and a Yorkie named Bruce.
OT...but just couldn't resist:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #272

I ran 11 miles this morning with my training group. That's my longest distance so far, training for a half marathon in 3 weeks.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I ran 11 miles this morning with my training group. That's my longest distance so far, training for a half marathon in 3 weeks.
Next year....Boston.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Next year....Boston.
Wow! Have you qualified already? It blows my mind when I see how fast one needs to run, and for 26 miles!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #275

My activities for the week:

Monday: Master's Swim Workout, ~ 2000 yds.
Tuesday: Workout from X-Fit site. Workout was rounds of 50/35/20 pullups, wall-balls and double-unders. I cheated and substituted assisted pull-ups and two jump ropes per double under. 30 minutes of roller-blading.
Wednesday: Master's Swim Workout, ~ 2000 yds
Thursday: Upper body (on the machines) and core strength, 1.5 mile run (testing sore hip flexor).
Friday: 5 mile bike to gym, Pilates class, 1 mile swim, bike home, couple one-on-one b-ball games with DS (he won all of them).
Saturday: 1 mile bike to park, 3 sets of doubles tennis, bike home.
Sunday: 5 mile bike to gym, Yoga class, core strength class, easy 3 mile run, bike home.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Wow! Have you qualified already? It blows my mind when I see how fast one needs to run, and for 26 miles!
No, no...not ME...YOU!! (I did my one and only 26.2 mile plod 28 years ago.)

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #277
Moderator Emeritus

Calisthenics with spouse again. I'm getting better at pushups and finished three sets of them more quickly.

But the fact that I wasn't dying in there probably means that I'm ready to add a few more pullups, a little more weight to the squats barbell, and maybe even more situps...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #278

10km run Sunday plus 3km walk on the back end to cool down, 5 mile run this morning @10min/mile, plus a mile cool down walk.

@ksr - I've wanted to do a half marathon for some time, and I can do and have done the distance several times, but I always find an excuse a reason not to sign up. Not gonna try it again until the temp and humidity come down a bit in the autumn...right now its so humid out there that its more like swimming than running.

R
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #279
Administrator

Lifted my regular 19.1 tons today. Remember how I rode the seated elliptical instead of lifting on Friday, due to being sick? So, I haven't lifted since last Wednesday, almost a week. It was hard but I did it anyway, without cutting back. I am going to be SO sore. "Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse."

I hope that wasn't a mistake. Guess I'll find out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #280

Walked an hour and weighed in at the same weight that i was when I was running 5 days a week more than a month ago.