Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thursday again... 'nuff said.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #342

The not as fun workout- swim ~1000 yds, bike ~10 miles, planking to keep the back half working. Wimpy but does the job. Enables the more fun workouts, kiting day before yesterday, some newbie SUP surfin last week (I suck but it sure is fun) and some old style windsurfing mixed in (that's a Pepsi , not a Coors Light....really, I swear......)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uvs120907-002 (2) (800x600).jpg (246.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg uvs120828-013 (800x600).jpg (204.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg uvs120814-002 (2) (800x600).jpg (243.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #343

I ran my first half marathon today. It was a great event - a very nice course and beautiful weather. I'm happy that it turned out so well as this makes me want to run another one next year.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #344
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I ran my first half marathon today. It was a great event - a very nice course and beautiful weather. I'm happy that it turned out so well as this makes me want to run another one next year.
Don't leave us in suspense.....what was your time?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #345

Quote:
Hey, congrats ! I just ran my first one in May and am training for my second one in October. Good weather can make all the difference and so can a well laid out course.
From what I can tell so far, training for the second one seems easier. It is less exhausting and if you follow a similar plan as the first one (I am) it also has the comfort of being somewhat familiar.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Don't leave us in suspense.....what was your time?
I'm not speedy (although my 5K times have improved considerably since I started running a year ago). 2 hours 17 minutes. I figure a good goal for the next one may be to get under 2:15?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Hey, congrats ! I just ran my first one in May and am training for my second one in October. Good weather can make all the difference and so can a well laid out course.
From what I can tell so far, training for the second one seems easier. It is less exhausting and if you follow a similar plan as the first one (I am) it also has the comfort of being somewhat familiar.
Thanks! And that's good to know about training the second time around. I'm planning to keep up with the long runs, with a weekend run of 7, 8, or 9 miles. That way I'll be partway there when I ramp up training for my next one, probably next spring.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #348
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dragged butt out of bed early and lifted weights before work. Walked the kids to school the long way. Time to get back on the horse with regular exercise.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #349

Quote:
Thanks! And that's good to know about training the second time around. I'm planning to keep up with the long runs, with a weekend run of 7, 8, or 9 miles. That way I'll be partway there when I ramp up training for my next one, probably next spring.
That's funny.. I was aiming for 2:15 on my first one to and ..just.. missed it. I'm using a 2:00 plan now but aiming for 2:10 in my second one. I actually laid off the running for a while after the first one and just did road/mtn biking for a while. Managed to keep up the fitness that way without risking injury.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #350
Administrator

After giving various forms of cardio exercise an honest and fair chance, it's back to the weight lifting machines for me.

Today I lifted 13 tons and will be ramping it back up towards my prior 19.2 tons in the weeks to come.

It's the journey, not the destination, right?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #351

An hour and a half of figure skating.

Otherwise mostly recovering from maneuvering 2 former 35 foot power poles into position so in time they will be a bridge over a creek at my camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CampStartBridege9_9_12.jpg (1.13 MB, 1 views)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #352

Thursday again. Finished the hills today. Huzzah. Figured out today the hill rises 160 feet over a slope of 1000 feet. Guess that works out to a 16% grade. 12 repeats in muggy weather. Next week starts the "speed" work instead.

Had a cool conversation about a quarter of the way through. I was coming up the top and went past a guy walking his dog. Guy was about 6'2" / 275 lbs, full sleeve tattoos and walking an ugly black bull mastiff dog. Scary looking pair. Anyway, as I stop and I'm trying to breathe while my lungs are on fire he asks if I'm training for something. I said, ah yes, sure. He says that's great and he'd like to do that to but it's to hard on his joints as he's lost 200 lbs recently and wants to lose 75 more. I said WOW and told him that I've lost 80 lbs to and we discussed healthy eating and exercise for a little bit. He was soft spoken and really interested in the topic. Goes to show you never know who'll you'll meet and you can't judge by appearances.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #353
Administrator

15.2 tons yesterday. Today, helping F shop for furniture and move a desk from my Venza into his home, and then grocery shopping for myself later on, and that was enough!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #354

105 stair repeats.

Based on an estimate of 40 stairs/risers/treads to an office building storey that comes in at about 155 storeys.

Oddly, (and certainly 'thankfully'), the knees don't bother me at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Very satisfying run today: snagged another PR. I shaved roughly two minutes off my previous best half marathon time!

Sure, I'm slow, but any improvement feels just as good to those of us in the back of the pack as it does to the fast folk.

What made it especially cool is that DW was doing the 10K at the same time, and shaved roughly a minute off her previous best 10K time.

Two tired but happy pedestrians this afternoon.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #356

108 stair repeats this morning......when I first mentioned this, on July 01, I had done 30, and on Jul 05, 43.......those are now warm-ups.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Very satisfying run today: snagged another PR. I shaved roughly two minutes off my previous best half marathon time!

Sure, I'm slow, but any improvement feels just as good to those of us in the back of the pack as it does to the fast folk.
When I completed my one and only marathon, (in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, in February 1984), one of the entrants was a black American guy, perhaps in his 50s, who, although he'd hit the wall, refused all offers of lifts to the finish line........IIRC he came in around the 5 hour mark*.......the rest of us were eating lunch when he arrived, and he received a standing ovation.

*Edited: I just dug out the records....his time was 6:30:25...wow!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #358
Administrator

I have continued my 3x/week weight lifting regularly, and yesterday increased from 15.2 tons to 15.6 tons. The slightly pulled muscle/tendon/whatever in my upper left arm seems to be resolving (slowly).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
American guy, perhaps in his 50s, who, although he'd hit the wall, refused all offers of lifts to the finish line
Sounds very familiar. I was 58 when I did my first marathon, and had not done nearly enough training to get ready for it. Finished in 5:30 and was happy as hell with my performance -- I had seriously wondered whether I'd even be able to finish!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #360
Recycles dryer sheets

I rode my new Nike 28 miles. Got caught in a heavy rain storm. I get about 100 miles a week on the bike.