Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #421
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
About a 5 mile ramble over somewhat rough (but flat) terrain loaded up with heavy clothing and a 6 pound "weight" in my arms. Does the cold affect your calorie burn rate? It was 19F when I got there in the morning, never got above freezing, and 17F when I left half an hour after sundown.
Brewer, that sounds like great exercise even though I don't think you can count on gaining any extra calories from the cold. I always felt like I was using extra calories due to the intense heat here in the summertime, but despite being drenched and completely exhausted after a workout in the heat I didn't lose weight any faster. YMMV

As for my workouts lately, I have been trying to get back to where I was. I skipped the gym completely on Nov 5th out of dire necessity due to intense stomach flu. Or, maybe it was the $%)(* Chinese food we ate, since F got it 30 minutes after I did. At any rate, after that I still felt far too weak on Nov 7th to lift any weights at all. Instead I just rode the seated elliptical at the gym in a very leisurely way and called it a day.

So, getting back on track I lifted 16.7 tons on Friday and again yesterday, cutting back on most machines and especially those machines that use my shoulder. I can always increase slowly again and get back to where I was.

I'm not worried about getting back on track with weight lifting, since that is a habit by now, but riding my stationary bike on days when I don't lift is not a habit yet and it fell by the wayside when I was sick. So, today I have the opportunity to start doing that again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #422
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally getting back into the chinups. Did a descending set from 6 yesterday (6,5,4,3,2,1)
A couple of ones in the middle were ugly. Also walked to work and back (5km in the rain)
Going out for a 7k trail run this afternoon. It is cold but bright so no excuses..

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #423
Moderator Emeritus

I enjoyed a week of leisurely strolling around San Antonio & Houston with no sweaty exercise, but vacation's over.

Probably just as well. The surfing sucked in both cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
You got that right. Once I retire, I have two acres to landscape and care for. I plan to dig the trenches for the irrigation system mostly by hand...for the above reason. Current thinking is that I can probably swing the pick and shovel for a couple hours a day after a week or so of building up to it.
I think a DitchWitch will still give you plenty of exercise without the back injuries...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #424
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shovelled 9 inches of snow off of 1,000 sq feet of sidewalk driveway and deck.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #425
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3 to 4 miles with a weighted vest and a 2 pound weight (revolver). However, this was at 8,000+ feet elevation with steep inclines, so it felt like more. I am tired tonight and not looking forward to my 4 straight hours of stressful meetings tomorrow.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #426
Recycles dryer sheets

I joined a gym yesterday with a trial membership from Groupon. I'd been doing chin-ups, push-ups, and dumbbells at home but not sure if I'm getting a well rounded workout. So I saw this Groupon deal and signed up - it's Koko FitClub which takes a different approach than the traditional gym. The trial membership should give me some idea if it's doing any more for me than my home exercise routine. But after the trail period, it would be $79/month for an annual membership so not sure if I'll go with that - seems a bit steep. But then again, I lack the discipline for doing a really good workout at home.

edit: This is the first time I've even been in a gym since college.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #427

Ran 5 miles in just over 50 minutes. Then rode the bike about 8 miles in just over 30 minutes. This was at a Megacorp sponsored charity event. Megacorp supports youth charities, and donates money to these charities based on how many kilometers are run or ridden at such events. Usually, it is either a run or a ride, but I like to do both. The weather has been beautiful, cool, crisp, and with clear blue skies, and the runs and rides in the park these past few weeks have felt great.

R
Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #428

Did my usual hour walk, but ran the last half mile. First running since June and felt great.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #429
Give me a forum ...

A 5 mile schlep lugging a 7 pound weight (shotgun) in my hands. I have a nasty bicep bruise from not holding the thing right when I pulled the trigger. I think I may need new shoes, since my lower back is aching tonight.

What I can't get used to is the freaky weather. It was a nice day, but it was below freezing when I got there and 74F when I left.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #430
Recycles dryer sheets

Time to get ready for Ski Season! But patella tendonitis is interferring with my plans. I usually do plyometrics and high intensity cardio on the stationary bike and the elipitcal trainer. This year, I'm doing swimming to give my knee some rest.

11/20 workout - 2500yd swim - 60 minutes followed by 5 50yd sprints

11/21 - 1400yd swim - 30 minutes followed by 100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute. Plan was for 10 sprints. Only completed 3 due to upset stomach. Not ready yet.

Followed by 1 hr chest workout; bench press, incline bench press, incline flyes, regular flyes and assorted stretches.

11/22 - P90x Shoulders and Arms
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #431
Moderator Emeritus

I've been back to my usual routine-- surfing, taekwondo, vigorous yardwork, exercising with spouse in our converted storage shed (calisthenics). I do one of these per day, and it usually works out to 5-6 per week. Nothing worth commenting on.

By comparison, three years ago at this time I was working on the qualifiers for my black belt 2nd dan test: 100 pushups in two minutes, 100 situps in two minutes, and running two miles at a ridiculously slow pace. Of course because of that focus I wasn't doing much surfing or yardwork. I'm not taking the black belt test this year, so these days I can be more balanced in my exercise.

But last night was another one of those killer taekwondo workouts. This time I clamped down on my testosterone-poisoned competitive urges and quietly did what I could without pushing to extremes. However last night I slept for eight solid hours, something that I've only done a handful of times in the last decade-- usually when I'm sick. And, of course, I woke up because I was starving.

I can put forth the effort needed to get through the workouts, but I'm unwilling to pay the price of the recovery.

It's become clear to me (finally) that the dojang has moved on without me. My daughter (and most of our friends) are no longer there. I'm training with coaches who have succeeded at national and international levels, and their skill/experience has been brought home to elevate our program. The students are 90% teens (although there are two women in their 30s). Three of these teens-- 2nd & 3rd dan-- are at the phase where I'd cheerfully haul them out to the parking lot and throw them into the flood canal until they're mature enough to rejoin the human race. But they're just a symptom, not the cause. I'm generally grumpy on the afternoons before I go to taekwondo, and exhausted when I get home.

It's beginning to remind me of work. There are aspects which I tremendously enjoy, but there are more dissatisfiers than enjoyments.

I worry that I'll be unable to replicate the things I get from taekwondo-- speed, reflexes, and coordination. But it's time to figure out the alternatives, because the status quo is unsustainable. I haven't found another martial art that I care to try, although I still need to have that discussion with one of my instructors.

Overall it's been a good 8+ years, but I wish there was a better way to downshift. I'll gut this out for another month or so to see how I feel about this decision. My daughter and I will talk it over when she's home from college, but I think this holiday break will be our last TKD workouts together. Time to create new memories.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #432
Recycles dryer sheets

First decent swim workout since I started back swimming 2 weeks ago.

1500yd swim - 32 minutes followed by 100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute. 10 sprints! I did dial back the effort for the first 7. 1:40 effort for the swim. The last 3 were close to all out 1:30 effort.

Followed by 1.25 hr Back Workout. 3 different angles on the lat pulldowns and then rows. With assorted stretches and misc activities.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #433
Give me a forum ...

So far my ass has been on the couch today, but when we go over to the in-laws later today I will bringing my splitting axe with me.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #434
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent a couple of hours this morning helping my son-in-law "roto-rooter" the sewer line, followed by four hours of tree trimming - and I don't mean placing Christmas ornaments. I'm gonna sleep well tonight.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

Quick two sets of chest press, shoulder press, lat pulldowns, and dead lifts before the next round of eating and drinking...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #436

Nothing. The schools are out, the ice rink is a mob scene. Yesterday the Y was closed, today it was overrun with folks who took a day off from w*rk.

Return to regularly scheduled entertainment in workouts, jutsu and skating next week on Wednesday. Kayaking will resume in march of 2013.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #437
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So far my ass has been on the couch today, but when we go over to the in-laws later today I will bringing my splitting axe with me.
Have you considered mediation, or maybe tried talking out your differences over a homebrew or two?

Just kidding! I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Spent a couple of hours this morning helping my son-in-law "roto-rooter" the sewer line, followed by four hours of tree trimming - and I don't mean placing Christmas ornaments. I'm gonna sleep well tonight.
Any confirmation of what caused the clog?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #438

My gym finally relocated to its new facility which was supposed to open Sept 1, but was delayed due to building permit and slow contractor issues. Actually, my former gym combined with 2 other gyms to create this fantastic new one. Its a huge facility and is fully equipped with Free Motion machines, free weights, great cardio area and has a lot of strong man equipment (eg big tires to flip, farmers carry bars, etc). Since much of this equipment is new to me, its been a challenge to learn all the possible things you can do on these Free Motion machines. But as good as the Free Motion machines are, I'm still pretty much a free weight kind of guy.

Last night was leg night, and I arrived about 5:30 PM and there was only one other person working out at that time. However, it was really cool to meet that other person, as he is one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware. Since the Cowboys played Thanksgiving day, it appeared he was doing a relatively light recovery workout, but what a soft spoken and nice gentle giant.

As to my workout, after a 5 minute warm-up, I did squats, dead lifts, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf press and spent some time on the vibrator to wrap things up.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #439
Administrator

DFW_M5, your new gym sounds terrific! It's amazing who we can meet at the gym. New Orleans' best TV weatherman comes to my gym (without his toupee! ). I never approach him because he probably would rather just work out and go home. Also I saw a great chef there (and chefs are considered celebrities around here).

As for me, I am still lifting weights regularly every MWF at the gym. That's about all right now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

My double shot of espresso this morning worked its magic... a long slow swim.

4500 yards in 1:39:00. 18 blocks of 250yds in 5:30 minutes.

That was it and that was enough.