Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #521
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 9 miles this morning .. Have not done that in a few years.. feels good just takes a long time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #522
Recycles dryer sheets

I did 5 miles today. I have been running (Ha Ha !!) slow jogging, with only a few guys with walkers passing me...

I am using MapMyRun for the last couple weeks. 5 miles in 60 mins initially, now concentrating and doing 5 in 55 minutes. I lay off one day per week, but need to lay off more. I really do not wish to hurt myself.

I admire all those who can do the 1/2 or full marathons. Right now I can not be past the 5 mile marker, but am glad I am out there.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #523

Ran 3 miles, followed by a one mile walk. Doing this secretly every other day getting back into running. DW is totally against running following her meniscus surgery, and thinks her dr's "no running" advice was meant for me as well. So I tell her I'm out for a walk.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh fudge, was doing dips as part of my shoulder/arm workout yesterday and injured myself. I only started doing dips recently, so my body is still adapting to that exercise. I had my legs crossed behind me for balance and somehow on one of the dips, it caused a strain to a tendon or calf muscle that is just below and kind of behind the knee. Hows that for weird? I've never had any sort of issue in that spot before and could hardly walk. When I came home I probably should have iced it, but I put on some icy hot and elevated it for the remainder of the night. Its somewhat better this morning, so hopefully this will work itself out soon. Except for a few ribcage pulls and shoulder tweaks, I've been relatively injury free since I started lifting weights 4 years ago. Nevertheless, I plan to continue with my 3X/week workouts and avoid anything that causes pain.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #525
Recycles dryer sheets

Lifting and cals today.. Can't get out for a run due to Snow and Rain.. One more day of work to go and I am retired and I head south.. Can't wait to get out of this cold !!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #526
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday hiked a local trail with the mutt. Roughly 5 miles in length. About a month ago I started incorporating a little jogging along the way to get the heart pumping and have been surprised how my stamina has increased over such a short period of time. I run maybe 1/4 of each mile so getting in a little over a mile of jogging total. My goal is to eventually get up to 2 miles of jogging and walk the rest the trail.

So far my knees and ankles are holding up. Hope my will power does too.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #527

2.5k run uphill, then back down, total 5km. Then 20 min cool down walk. Wish I had time for a run before tomorrow's 9hr drive.

R
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #528
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have been laid up with a cold lately, but got out today. I don't know how many miles the beagle and I covered today, but I would guess somewhere between 6 and 10. We checked out a couple new areas of river bottom along the Platte and if it weren't 8F when we were roaming there I suspect that in the one new spot I would have seen many squirrels (counted at least 20 nests in trees across the street from a cornfield). We then went to the old reliable spot and brought home one limb chicken and one rabbit. It was pretty and neat to check out new places, but the temp never got over 22F and there was constant 10MPH wind (plus lugging winter clothing, insulated boots, heavy Russian shotgun and assorted hunting and survival gear). I am beat.

1,000 years of breeding in a nutshell: I showed the beagle the squirrel and it got sniffed with what I would describe as "polite interest." I picked up the rabbit and showed her and she tried to rip it out of my hand. I carried it to the truck at shoulder height and she was making hysterical leaps at the critter, coming away with a mouthful of fur a couple of times. If all your ancestors for a zillion generations are bred to hunt rabbits, I guess that is your reaction to finally seeing one up close.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #529
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 5k in 26:29 - a personal best. I started running 4 weeks ago. Training for a race next month. This was only the 2nd time I ran 5k without stopping (I'm doing the Couch to 5K training plan, sort of).
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
Ran 5k in 26:29 - a personal best. I started running 4 weeks ago. Training for a race next month. This was only the 2nd time I ran 5k without stopping (I'm doing the Couch to 5K training plan, sort of).
I haven't run in years and am no expert, but I would say thats a pretty darn good time for only 4 weeks training. Great job!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

I haven't run in years and am no expert, but I would say thats a pretty darn good time for only 4 weeks training. Great job!
+1. I was never a runner until I started picking it up just under 5 years ago. First week I couldn't run 100 yards. Fourth was still less than a kilometer. It took me a few months to get to 5k. And, my best time is still 27 minutes and a few seconds...that was when I was out running a charity event with a bunch of my twenty-something colleagues who had been running a lot longer than me. These days, I've notched the effort back a little and a normal 5k run for me comes in at a minute or two over 30, and a really fast day will see me at 29 min. So, I applaud your accomplishment.

R
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #532

My gym recently added a new larger prowler sled (with four skids vs the typical three) which I hadn't used until yesterday. They had a smaller one that made me bend down too low, so I only tried that once about a month ago with one 45 lb plate on it.

It was leg day, so I thought I 'd begin to incorporate some prowler work with the new sled into my routine. The sled had three 45 lb plates, which really wasn't that hard to move. However, I pushed (sprinted) it back and forth for maybe 50 yds in total and boy was I sucking wind. Really made the heart rate go up, so I see this as a very good HIT type of exercise. I will gradually add more weight and laps and suspect this will provide some good benefits in the New Year. It certainly gives me a good appreciation of the stamina exhibited by offensive and defensive football lineman.

My prior calf injury was pretty much gone, until I did my last exercise of the day which was weighted step ups, and on the second set felt another twinge, so I stopped at that point. I hope this doesn't become a long term issue, as I really want to push myself harder in 2013.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #533
Recycles dryer sheets

Working on my six-pact since it's my rare day off from my two jobs. And learning from FIREd forums how they got there and how I can apply to my own FIRe (little is since I won't be able to retire as Early as I wanted) Plan.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #534

Ran 3+ followed by a 1 mile walk. Heard of a local kayak/bike/run triathlon coming in Sept, so I'm training for that. I need to get a kayak.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #535
Recycles dryer sheets

Timeeasterday, That's a great run for just starting out !

Ronstar, Keep us updated on your progress I am training for a triathlon too.. Goal is a sprint by June and a half Ironman by Sept.

For me I run at least 3 miles every day now so I won't bore everyone with a daily post but now that I am retired I will be adding swimming and more biking to that.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #536
Administrator

Back to my usual routine at the gym, that is, using 20 weight machines and lifting a total of 13.1 tons today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #537
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I might have pushed it too hard with that fast run last Saturday. The entire weekend my right leg was hurting on the inside of the shin bone, just below the bottom of the calf muscle (about 4" up from the ankle bone). Last week I started incorporating hills into my runs, after only running the flat parts of the neighborhood. I guess this is a type of shin splints? Never had pain in that region, and it's fairly localized to a small area. Additionally I get random pains in the muscle along the outside of the lower leg bone. These pains come and go in just a second or two and occur just a few times an hour (not a constant pain).

I ran 5k again on New Year's Day but much slower. My leg ached a little the entire time and I avoided any hills. I am skipping today's run and will try again Saturday. Today it feels much better, only hurting a little on stairs.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #538
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My gym recently added a new larger prowler sled (with four skids vs the typical three) which I hadn't used until yesterday. They had a smaller one that made me bend down too low, so I only tried that once about a month ago with one 45 lb plate on it.

It was leg day, so I thought I 'd begin to incorporate some prowler work with the new sled into my routine. The sled had three 45 lb plates, which really wasn't that hard to move. However, I pushed (sprinted) it back and forth for maybe 50 yds in total and boy was I sucking wind. Really made the heart rate go up, so I see this as a very good HIT type of exercise. I will gradually add more weight and laps and suspect this will provide some good benefits in the New Year. It certainly gives me a good appreciation of the stamina exhibited by offensive and defensive football lineman.

My prior calf injury was pretty much gone, until I did my last exercise of the day which was weighted step ups, and on the second set felt another twinge, so I stopped at that point. I hope this doesn't become a long term issue, as I really want to push myself harder in 2013.
Fascinating! My gym doesn't have a prowler sled, so I had no idea of what one is. I found this on youtube, which shows a prowler sled in use inside a gym:

It looks like a great workout but I can see how this might be tough with your prior calf injury. It is probably really hard on the feet, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Timeeasterday, That's a great run for just starting out !

Ronstar, Keep us updated on your progress I am training for a triathlon too.. Goal is a sprint by June and a half Ironman by Sept.

For me I run at least 3 miles every day now so I won't bore everyone with a daily post but now that I am retired I will be adding swimming and more biking to that.
Good luck on your triathlon training. I'm starting off with running 4 days a week and 3 days of weights, then start biking in late March and kayaking in late April.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #540

Nothing yet, besides getting up and scratching a few strategic places.

On the good news side, kiddies are back in school, in about ten minutes I am off for two hours of figure skating. Nice to heve the daytime rink back to the usual 2 or three adults.