What was Your Workout Today?

Walked 5 miles and did some short stretches of jogging along the way. Now one of my knees is so sore - I think I need to skip the jogging and just stick to walking. (I'm a long time cyclist, but never been into running).

xyz, congrats on your weight loss! Great workout, too.

I walked 5.45 miles which was 11,048 steps....my pedometer keeps me motivated and healthy! (always outdoors....luckily I can handle very cold weather)

That's great!!! Wow. I ordered a Fitbit, which is being delivered today, and hopefully with that to spur on my motivation someday I will be reporting longer walks too.

Walked 5 miles and did some short stretches of jogging along the way. Now one of my knees is so sore - I think I need to skip the jogging and just stick to walking. (I'm a long time cyclist, but never been into running).

That's too bad! Jogging sounds like a logical step for some one who is walking that far. Speaking of which, you walked 5 miles too, like kz! That's wonderful.

Today is a rest day for me as far as weightlifting is concerned, so I went to the gym anyway and walked around the indoor track for a while.

My Fitbit is definitely motivational! I have walked way more steps than I thought I was walking. It also said I climbed 3 flights of stairs today, even though I only climbed up (and back down) one set of unusually long stairs, to get to the indoor track which is on the second floor.

Also I wore it to bed last night for the sleep analysis, and it said I slept for 7 hours 45 minutes with 96% efficiency. Tell me something new; I sleep like a rock. :LOL:

Awww, way to bust my bubble! I had conjured up an image that looked something like this:

Walt,

My conjuring up an image of W2R is a bit different than yours, I see her more like this:

Walt,

My conjuring up an image of W2R is a bit different than yours, I see her more like this:
You're both wrong!

For the curious - - I have a lot to work on. This is my most recent photo that is not a head-only shot, and it was taken about 15 months ago. This is not a flattering photo; I have lost about 10 pounds since then, and in the photo I was wearing the scuzzy old t-shirt that I wear to the gym. So, I am a little more fit looking but nothing like the photos you two posted! :LOL:

I re-joined Weight Watchers on Tuesday, and I am serious about my new efforts to add walking for exercise, to my usual weightlifting regimen. I have great hopes. :)

Last edited:
You're both wrong!

For the curious - - I have a lot to work on. This is my most recent photo that is not a head-only shot, and it was taken about 15 months ago. This is not a flattering photo; I have lost about 10 pounds since then, and in the photo I was wearing the scuzzy old t-shirt that I wear to the gym. So, I am a little more fit looking but nothing like the photos you two posted! :LOL:

I re-joined Weight Watchers on Tuesday, and I am serious about my new efforts to add walking for exercise, to my usual weightlifting regimen. I have great hopes. :)

I won't even dare post a picture of myself, but hey, W2R, you look great to me and further are an inspiration in all the work you are putting into staying healthy, so we'll keep you around as our pin-up girl!

Hubby and I snowshoed 1.8 miles (hilly, unbroken trail which was a good workout) and then I managed a 3 mile walk since I was dressed for the cold weather anyway. 10,246 steps.

I won't even dare post a picture of myself, but hey, W2R, you look great to me and further are an inspiration in all the work you are putting into staying healthy, so we'll keep you around as our pin-up girl!

Aw, thank you! And you never know; it may take some time, but when I reach my Weight Watchers goal I might post an "after" photo, too. :D

Today was the last day of small game season, so I took the day off and went out there. 7 hours of creeping through the woods lugging a shotgun and gear netted me two squirrels. I am beat tonight, but I am always at peace when I am in the woods.

Now fishing season starts. Have to fine some high altitude lakes to hike to so I can actually get some exercise while fishing.

This past week, I used the rototiller and box scraper on my Kubota BX23 to make dirt jogging path on our 2 acres. Then I lightly compacted it by driving over it several times. Took it for a test run yesterday (pun intended). Not bad. DW and I both enjoy our runs, but her knees are giving her problems lately so I figured the softer path would be easier on her than the asphalt. I lost count when running around it, but I think that 14 loops around the path made 5km/3.1mile (measured by iPhone and RunKeeper). Did it in 31 minutes. Looping around a path is kind of boring, but in my opinion, less so than 31 minutes on the dreadmill, and the mutt can run with me. Mutt just turned 4 months old, but he ran 2 of the 3 miles with me, nipping my heels all the way. When he tuckered out, he just headed for the porch and took a nap.

R

Rambler, what a lovely thing for you to do, in order to help your DW with her knees! I just know you will enjoy having that running path, too.

I went outside and walked again yesterday, so in the past week I have lifted a total of 50 tons spread out over three days (MWF), and have also walked an embarrassingly short but (to me) challenging distance on each of three other days (TThS), in this first week of my new walking initiative. Guess which was harder! Yep, you got it, the walking because I am not used to it yet.

Last edited:
Leg day this morning and another personal best for dead lifts, 2 reps at 315 lbs. Quite a while back I used to do rack pulls (lift starts at knee level) at that weight which I always referred to as dead lifts, but it feels good to do legitimate ones off the floor. I am not sure how much higher I will go, but may have a little more in me.

This past week, I used the rototiller and box scraper on my Kubota BX23 to make dirt jogging path on our 2 acres. Then I lightly compacted it by driving over it several times. Took it for a test run yesterday (pun intended). Not bad. DW and I both enjoy our runs, but her knees are giving her problems lately so I figured the softer path would be easier on her than the asphalt. I lost count when running around it, but I think that 14 loops around the path made 5km/3.1mile (measured by iPhone and RunKeeper). Did it in 31 minutes. Looping around a path is kind of boring, but in my opinion, less so than 31 minutes on the dreadmill, and the mutt can run with me. Mutt just turned 4 months old, but he ran 2 of the 3 miles with me, nipping my heels all the way. When he tuckered out, he just headed for the porch and took a nap.

R

Awesome ! That is on my list for our ER abode. A quiet few acres, a running / walking path around the property and a small garage\loft combo where I can tinker and pollute my liver in peace. Did 5K on the dreadmill yesterday and also today. The big excursion of the week was a planned 25K run on Tuesday. Ran the first 15k alright but then left the lakefront trail to follow a riverside path that turned out to be sheer ice for the whole distance. Ended up walking the last 10K and then walked 3K more to get home. Could have run it I guess but I was a little bummed out by the ice and cold wind whistling off the water.
But, its all exercise in the end so I'm happy with the weeks effort. Now, time to pull the 5 yr old rum out of the freezer and dream of epic runs while I exercise my elbow !

Just to let you know, W2R, the walking will get easier as long as you start slow and steady. Yrs ago I was lucky to walk a mile several days a week and I couldn't get hubby to walk at all. Now I'm up to 4-5.5 miles 6 days a week and when hubby is around he walks the first 3 miles with me. Of course eventually that lead to hiking or snowshoeing, depending on the season, and now I'm addicted to all three.

Just to let you know, W2R, the walking will get easier as long as you start slow and steady. Yrs ago I was lucky to walk a mile several days a week and I couldn't get hubby to walk at all. Now I'm up to 4-5.5 miles 6 days a week and when hubby is around he walks the first 3 miles with me. Of course eventually that lead to hiking or snowshoeing, depending on the season, and now I'm addicted to all three.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am hoping to add distance, and extra days as I get used to it. My Fitbit is very encouraging to me for some reason, because I can keep records of my both my daily steps and distance. You are doing wonderfully with your walking and some day, I hope to be walking that much too.

Today was a weight lifting day, and I lifted 16.8 tons. Tomorrow is a walking day for me and if I feel like I can, I might walk just a little bit further this time.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am hoping to add distance, and extra days as I get used to it. My Fitbit is very encouraging to me for some reason, because I can keep records of my both my daily steps and distance. You are doing wonderfully with your walking and some day, I hope to be walking that much too.

Today was a weight lifting day, and I lifted 16.8 tons. Tomorrow is a walking day for me and if I feel like I can, I might walk just a little bit further this time.

What kz says is very true. There's not a lot I miss about work, but one is those daily walks at a fixed time (lunch and beyond). You've got a nicer climate than here in the North Pole - go for it!

Last edited:
What kz says is very true. There's not a lot I miss about work, but one is those daily walks at a fixed time (lunch and beyond). You've got a nicer climate than here in the North Pole - go for it!

Well, it's nice in October and for those weeks in March when we aren't having severe weather. :LOL: That's OK, because my gym has a very nice cushioned, measured indoor track and climate control, so I often walk there. Thanks for the encouragement.

Well it took a few days trying out different programs on my new recumbent exercise bike and I was starting to get frustrated. But I finally got my heart rate over 110 for at least 20 minutes (60 minutes total). It does feel better to have a true aerobic workout than just working out in the "weight loss" heart rate range. And I don't feel at all hungry afterwards which is nice.

Yesterday was upper body day. Walked twenty minutes, then 5x5x3 chest, lats, and shoulders.

An older Concept II rower showed up in our gym recently and I gave it a try the other day. I have no idea of what setting it was on, but I was anticipating much more resistance, much like you would expect with real oars in the water. Am I missing something or do these machines provide very light resistance? I was able to get its fan whiring pretty well.

DFW_M5, they don't have a whole lot of resistance. My reaction was the same when I first tried one. I always set resistance to the maximum (although others will tell you that is wrong! but that is what I do). However, if you use the Concept II for a while it will surprise you and give you quite a workout. I think it seems light to us because it is not much resistance for a weight lifter, but the cardio that is also provided by the Concept II sneaks up on one. I like to try to make the watts go up higher during each pull, just to see how much I can sustain. Perfect form is very important in order to prevent back injuries, but then as a weight lifter you too are probably used to focusing on form when you work out. For me, the Concept II is a great way to lose weight, probably because of the cardio aspects. If you go to their website here, you can compare your performance on the Concept II to that of others all over the country and world, and that is fun sometimes.

Today I walked at the indoor track at my gym, and walked 150% as far as I did on my walks last week. Not only that, my walk seemed less challenging and less tiring. While I ache a little from it, it isn't as bad as last week either. This is extremely encouraging.

Since I was wearing my Fitbit, and since the track is measured, I was able to determine how long my stride is. That will be helpful for walks outside. Interestingly, since I am 5'9" it turns out that my stride length of 28" is just about exactly as predicted by the usual formula (height in inches times .413 for a woman and times .415 for a man). But now I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom