Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It looks like a great workout but I can see how this might be tough with your prior calf injury. It is probably really hard on the feet, too.
It is a great workout and I didn't really feel any impact on my calf. The sled in our gym is a bit larger and has 4 skids vs the 3 on the sled in the video, and you can pull the handles and reverse them for going back in the other direction. That guy in the video did not have much leg/hip power as he was pushing the sled way too slow. Don't mean to brag, but I suspect I could have gone up and back with it faster than it took him to go one length of the gym.

The other night, one of our trainers had a football as they train a lot of HS athletes, so got to throw that around with him. Brings back memories and was really fun. Sometimes I think I've still got it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #542
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It is a great workout and I didn't really feel any impact on my calf. The sled in our gym is a bit larger and has 4 skids vs the 3 on the sled in the video, and you can pull the handles and reverse them for going back in the other direction. That guy in the video did not have much leg/hip power as he was pushing the sled way too slow. Don't mean to brag, but I suspect I could have gone up and back with it faster than it took him to go one length of the gym.

The other night, one of our trainers had a football as they train a lot of HS athletes, so got to throw that around with him. Brings back memories and was really fun. Sometimes I think I've still got it.
Uh oh!

As for me, I know I don't still have it! But hey, it's the journey that counts, not the destination, as they say. In other words, I enjoy working out at whatever level seems about right, even if it is not as much as I could do in my youth.

Today's workout: 13.7 tons, and afterwards a pitifully brief time on the treadmill.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Uh oh!

As for me, I know I don't still have it! But hey, it's the journey that counts, not the destination, as they say. In other words, I enjoy working out at whatever level seems about right, even if it is not as much as I could do in my youth.

Today's workout: 13.7 tons, and afterwards a pitifully brief time on the treadmill.
Hey, you are pretty awesome in my book, and I suspect you never lost it.

As for me, I keep telling myself that delusions of grandeur in old age is not necessarily a bad thing
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #544
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To start off the new year, I biked 16 miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday; goal is 1300 miles in 2013.

Yesterday was upper body day: 5x5x3 (chest press, lat pulldown, shoulder press). Today is happy hour...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #545
Recycles dryer sheets

Training .. Training .. Training Great to be retired ! The past 8 days in a row have logged 2 miles a day freestyle in the pool, 15 miles a day on the bike, and 3+ miles a day running.. I wake up energized and ready every morning .. loving this retirement thing !
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #546
Administrator

Lifted 14.3 tons on my usual weight machines, listed in post #51 of this thread.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #547
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took a 5-day holiday and did not work out at all during those days. Although I missed my exercise routine, I noticed I had no body aches or felt no fatigue or muscle strains which sometimes I experience after consecutive days of exercise. Now I am thinking maybe I should have 2 rest days instead of 1 rest day in my weekly exercise routine. Anyone has lessened their exercise routine instead of increasing it and felt that the change brings more benefits?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I took a 5-day holiday and did not work out at all during those days. Although I missed my exercise routine, I noticed I had no body aches or felt no fatigue or muscle strains which sometimes I experience after consecutive days of exercise. Now I am thinking maybe I should have 2 rest days instead of 1 rest day in my weekly exercise routine. Anyone has lessened their exercise routine instead of increasing it and felt that the change brings more benefits?
In my opinion, its good to take a week off every 3-4 months if you work out regularly. As to how many days to workout each week vs rest days, I think this boils down to listening to your body and doing some experimentation. The recovery needed is an individual thing. I've been working out 3X week for a long time, but this is mostly a function of limited time as I'm still working. Once I retire, I am interested to try an every other day or even a 5 day workout schedule, but no way to know whether that will be good or bad till I give it a go. I ususally think 4-6 weeks is a good period of time to evaluate a new routine, unless it becomes obvious sooner that its too much to handle.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #549
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

In my opinion, its good to take a week off every 3-4 months if you work out regularly.....
Oh, wait. It's not work out one week and take 3 to 4 months off? D'oh!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Oh, wait. It's not work out one week and take 3 to 4 months off? D'oh!
I'll bet there are some of our members that have a schedule like that, or even work out month of January and then take rest of year off
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #551
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brewed 10 gallons of beer in 15F weather and in between brewing tasks I split and stacked about a quarter of a cord of firewood. I am tired.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #552
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 5k today in this ridiculously warm weather. My last 1k split was my fastest ever - 5 minutes. Got my first 5k race coming up next Saturday. Fighting a little tendonitis in my right ankle but it's manageable. Going to layoff running for a while after the race and hopefully the tendonitis improves.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #553
Dryer sheet wannabe

I walked 6 miles today. The weather was wonderful in central Florida - 81 degrees. My right foot was cramping like crazy when i finished. My goal is to walk 800 miles before the end of 2013. I've already completed 38 miles.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #554
Recycles dryer sheets

My Ski Season has finally arrived. Skiing about 20 thousand vertical feet a day, 2-3 times a week... weather cooperating.

Today would be a great day to ski with all the new snow. But, it is -12 on the mountain this morning... so I will stay home until it warms up in a few days.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #555

I'm just now heading out for a planned 4 mile run. This morning I split and stacked about a quarter cord of firewood, taking advantage of a break in the cold weather we've been seeing for the past week.

This year's goals: 1200km each running, walking, and cycling. I will make a swim goal as soon as we open the pool in May or so. My strength training will focus on chores around the house: pick-axe, shoveling, carrying lumber, etc.

R
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #556

Have gone to health club 4 days in a row. Never did that before. Today worked with 12 machines (2 sets of 12 reps on each machine) concentrating on upper body. 2 sessions on treadmill (fast walk burning 525 calories) and 75 abb crunches.

Afterwards, weighed in and have not lost any weight! Guess I'll have to start monitoring my intake (food) a lot better.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #557
Administrator

Monday 14.6 tons; today 15.0 tons.

Slowly but surely I am getting back to where I should be. Did an extra long stretching/warmup today, to help with the increasing weights.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #558

Walked two miles, ran three, mixed a yard of humus and a yard of topsoil one wheelbarrow at a time to backfill 4 holes I dug with the backhoe. These were big holes. Then I planted cherry trees for DW in said holes. Digging with the backhoe took 10 minutes, mixing the humus and topsoil 2.5 hours. Planting the trees took about a minute each once the planting holes were fully prepped. I was so sore last night I couldn't sleep.

R
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #559

Since I have been winding down toward retiring in April, I am consuming my vacation by taking Friday's off and have started to go the gym on Friday morning. Normally, I go at night. I am also finding the scenary is much better in the morning as there are plently of young ladies working out to keep an old guy motivated. Ha Ha would love this place. Today was chest and back day and some sled/heavy bag work.

This morning, also got to see Josh Hamilton, another sports luminary that works out at my gym. He is working on agility, core, getting out of the box faster and some strength. I will be sorry to see him in an Angels uniform. Next week, I understand that several Cowboys will be starting their workouts at the gym, Sean Lee, Jay Ratliff, and ex-Cowboy Terrance Newman. We have some of the best trainers anywhere, so its no surprise that many top athletes come to this facility.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #560

Walked 1 km on Satans Sidewalk this morning, followed by 3 km run @11kph and another 1 km walk cooldown. Then walked to work and back (5 km). Little bit nasty as it was -11deg. C outside this morning. Sure that burned off a calorie or two more than usual.