Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I'll bet there are some of our members that have a schedule like that, or even work out month of January and then take rest of year off

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I can't believe your guilty of that

Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #563
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't believe your guilty of that
I am not a gym type person. Never have been. I can't sit still that long, and the smell of sweat grosses me out.
FYI...I have tendinitis in both hands, and some lingering soft tissue issues in my neck and back from being in front of a computer for 25+ years. Playing sports and using gym equipment are a guaranteed recipe for further damage. Sustained repetitive motions are my Waterloo.

I get moderate exercise around the house...cranking the tunes and dancing in the living room for aerobic exercise, playing virtual ping pong on my PS3 when my back is ok, going up and down the stairs for laundry. I'm always moving around doing something, such as playing with my plants or re-organizing a room.
My frequent volunteer w*rk is my real w*rkout. I often spend up to 5 hours at that, cooking, cleaning up the kitchen, bussing tables, etc.
So I stay in good tone and have good strength.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #564
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was pretty active before ER but I have increased my exercise time by ~100% since then. Weekends are about the same but I'm doing a lot more on the weekdays now. So far so good. I was concerned with injuries but I have noticed that I'm more willing to defer something if I'm not feeling "right" now that I know that I will have plenty of time to do what I want the next day whereas when I was working I would often just push through it. I think that some of my chronic injuries are actually a little better now.

This is the the log for the past 7 days. I have also been playing doubles tennis and touch football in the park with the "old guys" from my gym occassionaly but I missed them this week.

Sat: 6 x 400 meter run repeats on the track, total w/warmup and down of 5 miles.
Sun: 40 mile road bike ride
Mon, AM: 5 mile scooter to gym, TRX class, Pilates class, 30 minutes shooting hoop, scooter home
PM: Master’s Swim Workout (usually 2200 to 2500 yards)
Tues, AM: 2 mile threshold run, total of 4 miles.
PM: Yoga class, Pilates class
Wed, AM: 5 mile bike to gym, Yoga class, Bootcamp class, ride home
PM: Masters’s Swim Workout
Thurs: 16 x 100 meter run repeats on track, sprint the straights and walk the curves, 4 miles total.
Fri: Masters’ Swim Workout, TRX class, Pilates class, 30 minutes shooting hoop.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am not a gym type person. Never have been. I can't sit still that long, and the smell of sweat grosses me out.
FYI...I have tendinitis in both hands, and some lingering soft tissue issues in my neck and back from being in front of a computer for 25+ years. Playing sports and using gym equipment are a guaranteed recipe for further damage. Sustained repetitive motions are my Waterloo.

I get moderate exercise around the house...cranking the tunes and dancing in the living room for aerobic exercise, playing virtual ping pong on my PS3 when my back is ok, going up and down the stairs for laundry. I'm always moving around doing something, such as playing with my plants or re-organizing a room.
My frequent volunteer w*rk is my real w*rkout. I often spend up to 5 hours at that, cooking, cleaning up the kitchen, bussing tables, etc.
So I stay in good tone and have good strength.
Those repetitive stress and old sports injuries are tough to deal with, but based on what your doing, you are probably in better shape and have more energy than me.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #566

Tweaked the workout again. Now running 3 times a week, 3 miles followed by 1 mile walk. Cant wait until the new treadmill comes in. the old one sounds like its going to explode. Also 3 dumbbell workouts a week with 45 minute walks. Not really a weight person, but I like the dumbbell workout. Waiting until spring to branch out to biking/hiking.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #567
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Those repetitive stress and old sports injuries are tough to deal with, but based on what your doing, you are probably in better shape and have more energy than me.
Not really in better shape than folks who use the gym. I have the utmost respect for all the members here who do some serious w*rkouts and exercise.
I envy you.
I applaud you.
I simply substitute levels of activity that fit within my current physical abilities. When my hands and feel good, I do more FUN exercise to advance my strength or increase my metabolic rate.
FUN being the keyword here.

For example, after a warm-up of several Up & Down the Stairs for Laundry trips, dance to the Twist (or song with similar beat) in your living room sometime. Do that twice. Whew! You'll be dripping with sweat and feel energized. Repeat a few more times a day, dancing however you want to.

Don't overdo it!

If I had to rate my fitness level, I would say it was "Extra Good" on a scale that consists of Terrible-Minimal-Good-Extra Good-Excellent.

The regular exercisers get the Excellent spot.

And yes, I am a high energy person naturally. It's why I drink decaf.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #568
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran my first 5K race today. Finished 2nd in my age group and 17th overall with a time of 26:42. It was a tough track - even the experienced runners were saying how hard this one is. I know the track well since I do a lot of motorsports photography there. The hills are bad enough when I am walking around with 20 lbs of camera equipment, and they tried to kill me today. My wife ran her first 10K there today and was the 2nd overall female with a 54:42 time.

Here's the start of the 5K:

There's me in the middle (#7):

My award:
Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #569

Congrats Timeasterday!

Looks like a great race - except for the hills.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #570

Thats a nice trophy timesterday, great job. That must have been a hoot running at Road Atlanta, I have never heard of running events at car race circuits, but it seems like a very nice venue for a running event.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #571
Recycles dryer sheets

Eight mile early morning walk. Will be doing a half marathon next Sunday.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #572
Give me a forum ...

In the field 20 minutes after sunrise on a fantastic sunny day. Lugging a rifle (sometimes a shotgun) and a few pounds of gear I walked Gawd only knows how many miles in two areas. Finished about 4PM to clean my catch. I am beat and I was off my game today (missed multiple shots - quite a feat with a shotgun, was clumsy stalking my prey, etc.), but there is something about being out all day in a cloudless sky as the temp hits 60F that cures all ills in January.

Also saw something I have never seen before. As I was clumsily stalking a couple of squirrels, they decided it was time to split when I was about 20 yards away. There were no nearby trees they could scoot to, so they both leaped from about 30 feet up straight to the ground. When they landed it sounded like someone dropped a sack of flour on a concrete floor, but they took off running like it was nothing. If they were human-sized, every squirrel would be superman.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #573

I got a mountain bike for Christmas and have been riding it half an hour to an hour almost every day in addition to the P90X. The P90X is getting easier. I can now do all of the plyometrics without hitting the pause button. I have lost 15 pounds and my body fat is down to 15%.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #574
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I got a mountain bike for Christmas and have been riding it half an hour to an hour almost every day in addition to the P90X. The P90X is getting easier. I can now do all of the plyometrics without hitting the pause button. I have lost 15 pounds and my body fat is down to 15%.
Congrats on the weight loss! I start P90X today and am looking forward to it. I just finished RevAbs and it was OK but I am looking for something more challenging. I am trying not to lose weight, gain some muscle, and drop some body fat. I'm 15% body fat right now, we'll see how P90X goes.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #575

Was feeling unwell the last two days and felt better today. Needed to get some body movement after sleeping for so many hours. Took things easier and went for a 2-mile walk followed by a one hour Pilate class.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
Congrats on the weight loss! I start P90X today and am looking forward to it. I just finished RevAbs and it was OK but I am looking for something more challenging. I am trying not to lose weight, gain some muscle, and drop some body fat. I'm 15% body fat right now, we'll see how P90X goes.
Thanks, you may find that the P90X, at least after the first couple of weeks is not vigorous enough for you. I would say that it is an excellent way to lose weight and get fit but probably not the best way to build muscle. At this point I would be very happy to not lose any more weight and instead gain muscle. Going forward I am going to put extra time into the resistance part of the P90X program and a little less into the cardio part of it. I suspect that at age 60 this is going to take a lot of work over time.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #577
Give me a forum ...

5 hour brew session involving lots of heavy lifting and trips up and down the stairs. Tired now. Still have dinner and bread to make (spent grain bread is a brew day tradition) and flying solo on the kids tonight.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #578
Administrator

I lifted a total of 15.1 tons today at the gym.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #579
Recycles dryer sheets

Running about 4 miles a day .. Will be picking up the pace next week with more swimming and Bicycling... Weight is down 70 pounds in 7 months I feel fantastic !
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #580
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Thanks, you may find that the P90X, at least after the first couple of weeks is not vigorous enough for you. I would say that it is an excellent way to lose weight and get fit but probably not the best way to build muscle. At this point I would be very happy to not lose any more weight and instead gain muscle. Going forward I am going to put extra time into the resistance part of the P90X program and a little less into the cardio part of it. I suspect that at age 60 this is going to take a lot of work over time.
Day 1 of P90X kicked my butt today! I definitely suck at pullups. Oh well, something to work on I guess.