Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICNTR View Post
DW and I typically do Crossfit (CF) workouts at home or utilizing community park equipment. We really love it and have benefitted from some very rewarding results.

I was sad to read some prior CF threads/posts on this site. Sounds like some folks have negative impressions and maybe even some questionable sources of info. I can only share my experience, excitement, and appreciation for the program. Haven't seen tomorrow's WOD yet (workout of the day) but will let you know how it goes.
I really enjoy watching the CF games and have spent hours doing so. Some of the CF workouts look like a lot of fun to me and I suppose I could do many of them, but some are probably too much for an old guy's joints. We have a trainer in our gym that does a lot of CF type workouts and he's in great shape, but is only 26 yo and sometimes complains of the wear and tear on his body.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #602

2 hrs of figure skating.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #603
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I really enjoy watching the CF games and have spent hours doing so. Some of the CF workouts look like a lot of fun to me and I suppose I could do many of them, but some are probably too much for an old guy's joints. We have a trainer in our gym that does a lot of CF type workouts and he's in great shape, but is only 26 yo and sometimes complains of the wear and tear on his body.
Yeah, everyone is different and it is is always smart to discuss with one's healthcare professional before any exercise regimens. Luckily mine is built-in as DW if a Physical Therapist, an Athletic Trainer, and a Certified Personal Trainer. She discovered and "converted" to Crossfit about 18 months ago and subsequently got me into it. BTW, I am 42 and she is 46. One of the most rewarding things for me to discover is that I can indeed still do some of that stuff! Looking forward to getting stronger and doing even more as I start to get into my "prime years". I am by no means a "naturally gifted athlete" but CF still seems to get the best results of the many things I have tried over the years.

Crossfit games are indeed amazing. Some of the athletes in the local gyms are too. (DW is trying a 6 week boot camp at one and I have visited.) The examples and the amazing support that they provide is inspirational to me.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #604
Administrator

Today I lifted 13.0 tons on 19 weight machines.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #605
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey everyone. I'm not doing to well posting all workouts or even getting on this site as much as I'd like. Just too many fun things to do I suppose. In any event today was a 3.1 mile run followed by the following circuit done for time.

5 supine rows (on TRX straps), 10 pushups, 15 squats, 20 situps
7 supine rows, 15 pushups, 20 squats, 25 situps
10 supine rows, 20 pushups, 30 squats, 30 situps

Fun mix of cardio calorie burning run and some body weight strength training.
Hope everyone is doing well. Remember, exercise is free medicine!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #606
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm waiting for Top Chef to start and will then ride my exercise bike for an hour and then do some tricep exercises with loose weights. The bike cost about $175 20 years ago at Target and is on it's last leg. Is squeaking really bad - got worse after I sprayed it with WD40 a couple of weeks ago. Broke down and ordered a refurbished Precor recumbent exercise bike on ebay about a month ago and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival but economy shipping has proved to be very slow.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #607
Administrator

I lifted 14.2 tons today, using the weight machines at the gym.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I lifted 14.2 tons today, using the weight machines at the gym.

Beat me on the tonnage - 13.330 tons with 10 machines for me. Then burned another 500 calories with 3.4 miles on treadmill. Problem is I've been gaining weight lately. Got to cut the junk food out!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #609
Recycles dryer sheets

Swam 1 and Biked 50 today... Swimming 2 miles and running 4 on days we don't bike... Feeling great !
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #610

Walked 1 block from Mom's Diner to the Walgreen's on the corner to use the ATM, so I could pay for my Monster Burger & fries with cash. I sure wish Mom's would start accepting plastic. Strangely, in addition to cash, they do take local checks! What's up with that
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #611

Did a combo walk/jog this morning, 3 miles in 32 minutes. I am trying to increase my cardio in hopes of improving HDL levels. What ever happened to those days when the lungs and legs would have done this in 15 minutes.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #612
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did a combo walk/jog this morning, 3 miles in 32 minutes. I am trying to increase my cardio in hopes of improving HDL levels. What ever happened to those days when the lungs and legs would have done this in 15 minutes.

That's a lot better than most can do .. It will come keep it up.. Great work !
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #613
Administrator

Today I lifted 15.5 tons on 20 machines at the gym.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #614
Confused about dryer sheets

mondays and fridays are weightlifting days, sat sun tues thurs are 6 mile run days,,,8k race on 2/24 in brea ca
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #615
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dawn start to my hunting trip, although this was the lousiest weather of the three day weekend (don't get me started). 24F when I got there and blowing a good 10 MPH. Many miles later I saw exactly one squirrel (he was being carried off by a large hawk I spooked). I did manage to nail a rabbit who spooked when I was in about the only little hollow that was well sheltered from the wind and still in the sun. About 11:30 I decided to try another spot. A 90 minute stalk later Igave up and tried fishing in a pond across the road but the wind kicked up over 15 MPH, the temp dropped, the sky clouded up and I started seeing flurries. I am pretty cold tolerant, but enough was enough. Might only get one more hunting excursion in before the end of the season.

Came home and am now dealing with an ugly migraine.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #616

20 minute walk on treadmill
10 minutes on recumbent bike
20 minutes on various weight machines
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #617
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is a good thread.

I have physical limitations. But doing something is better than nothing. So, a good walk outside in weather under 30 degrees (along with strong winds) was an interesting experience. Being at a store today, with a family member, for which I spent time walking and walking around. After getting home, doing more physical therapy exercises. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily done for the day.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today I lifted 15.5 tons on 20 machines at the gym.
You've really been ramping up the tonnage; is this a record amount for you?

Total lbs lifted is definitely an interesting and meaningful way to measure progress.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #619

Off for two hours of figure skating.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #620
Administrator

Quote:

You've really been ramping up the tonnage; is this a record amount for you?

Total lbs lifted is definitely an interesting and meaningful way to measure progress.
No, but thanks! I think I was doing between 16-19 tons for a few months last year, around June, July and especially the last three weeks in August, and October and November. But then I missed some workouts over the holidays, and then Mardi Gras... and was sick and such too, so I am working back up to where I was. It always takes me time to build my weight lifting back up because being cautious helps me to avoid injuries.

I like the total tonnage lifted, too. I guess I could say that I lifted weights for 45 minutes, but that could mean anything depending on the person.

Today I lifted 15.6 tons.

- - H. Melville, 1851