Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #661
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

I won't even dare post a picture of myself, but hey, W2R, you look great to me and further are an inspiration in all the work you are putting into staying healthy, so we'll keep you around as our pin-up girl!
Aw, thank you! And you never know; it may take some time, but when I reach my Weight Watchers goal I might post an "after" photo, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today was the last day of small game season, so I took the day off and went out there. 7 hours of creeping through the woods lugging a shotgun and gear netted me two squirrels. I am beat tonight, but I am always at peace when I am in the woods.

Now fishing season starts. Have to fine some high altitude lakes to hike to so I can actually get some exercise while fishing.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This past week, I used the rototiller and box scraper on my Kubota BX23 to make dirt jogging path on our 2 acres. Then I lightly compacted it by driving over it several times. Took it for a test run yesterday (pun intended). Not bad. DW and I both enjoy our runs, but her knees are giving her problems lately so I figured the softer path would be easier on her than the asphalt. I lost count when running around it, but I think that 14 loops around the path made 5km/3.1mile (measured by iPhone and RunKeeper). Did it in 31 minutes. Looping around a path is kind of boring, but in my opinion, less so than 31 minutes on the dreadmill, and the mutt can run with me. Mutt just turned 4 months old, but he ran 2 of the 3 miles with me, nipping my heels all the way. When he tuckered out, he just headed for the porch and took a nap.

R
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #664
Administrator

Rambler, what a lovely thing for you to do, in order to help your DW with her knees! I just know you will enjoy having that running path, too.

I went outside and walked again yesterday, so in the past week I have lifted a total of 50 tons spread out over three days (MWF), and have also walked an embarrassingly short but (to me) challenging distance on each of three other days (TThS), in this first week of my new walking initiative. Guess which was harder! Yep, you got it, the walking because I am not used to it yet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #665

Leg day this morning and another personal best for dead lifts, 2 reps at 315 lbs. Quite a while back I used to do rack pulls (lift starts at knee level) at that weight which I always referred to as dead lifts, but it feels good to do legitimate ones off the floor. I am not sure how much higher I will go, but may have a little more in me.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #666
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
This past week, I used the rototiller and box scraper on my Kubota BX23 to make dirt jogging path on our 2 acres. Then I lightly compacted it by driving over it several times. Took it for a test run yesterday (pun intended). Not bad. DW and I both enjoy our runs, but her knees are giving her problems lately so I figured the softer path would be easier on her than the asphalt. I lost count when running around it, but I think that 14 loops around the path made 5km/3.1mile (measured by iPhone and RunKeeper). Did it in 31 minutes. Looping around a path is kind of boring, but in my opinion, less so than 31 minutes on the dreadmill, and the mutt can run with me. Mutt just turned 4 months old, but he ran 2 of the 3 miles with me, nipping my heels all the way. When he tuckered out, he just headed for the porch and took a nap.

R
Awesome ! That is on my list for our ER abode. A quiet few acres, a running / walking path around the property and a small garage\loft combo where I can tinker and pollute my liver in peace. Did 5K on the dreadmill yesterday and also today. The big excursion of the week was a planned 25K run on Tuesday. Ran the first 15k alright but then left the lakefront trail to follow a riverside path that turned out to be sheer ice for the whole distance. Ended up walking the last 10K and then walked 3K more to get home. Could have run it I guess but I was a little bummed out by the ice and cold wind whistling off the water.
But, its all exercise in the end so I'm happy with the weeks effort. Now, time to pull the 5 yr old rum out of the freezer and dream of epic runs while I exercise my elbow !
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #667
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to let you know, W2R, the walking will get easier as long as you start slow and steady. Yrs ago I was lucky to walk a mile several days a week and I couldn't get hubby to walk at all. Now I'm up to 4-5.5 miles 6 days a week and when hubby is around he walks the first 3 miles with me. Of course eventually that lead to hiking or snowshoeing, depending on the season, and now I'm addicted to all three.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #668
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Just to let you know, W2R, the walking will get easier as long as you start slow and steady. Yrs ago I was lucky to walk a mile several days a week and I couldn't get hubby to walk at all. Now I'm up to 4-5.5 miles 6 days a week and when hubby is around he walks the first 3 miles with me. Of course eventually that lead to hiking or snowshoeing, depending on the season, and now I'm addicted to all three.
Thanks for the encouragement! I am hoping to add distance, and extra days as I get used to it. My Fitbit is very encouraging to me for some reason, because I can keep records of my both my daily steps and distance. You are doing wonderfully with your walking and some day, I hope to be walking that much too.

Today was a weight lifting day, and I lifted 16.8 tons. Tomorrow is a walking day for me and if I feel like I can, I might walk just a little bit further this time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Thanks for the encouragement! I am hoping to add distance, and extra days as I get used to it. My Fitbit is very encouraging to me for some reason, because I can keep records of my both my daily steps and distance. You are doing wonderfully with your walking and some day, I hope to be walking that much too.

Today was a weight lifting day, and I lifted 16.8 tons. Tomorrow is a walking day for me and if I feel like I can, I might walk just a little bit further this time.
What kz says is very true. There's not a lot I miss about work, but one is those daily walks at a fixed time (lunch and beyond). You've got a nicer climate than here in the North Pole - go for it!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #670
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
What kz says is very true. There's not a lot I miss about work, but one is those daily walks at a fixed time (lunch and beyond). You've got a nicer climate than here in the North Pole - go for it!
Well, it's nice in October and for those weeks in March when we aren't having severe weather. That's OK, because my gym has a very nice cushioned, measured indoor track and climate control, so I often walk there. Thanks for the encouragement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #671
Recycles dryer sheets

Well it took a few days trying out different programs on my new recumbent exercise bike and I was starting to get frustrated. But I finally got my heart rate over 110 for at least 20 minutes (60 minutes total). It does feel better to have a true aerobic workout than just working out in the "weight loss" heart rate range. And I don't feel at all hungry afterwards which is nice.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #672
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was upper body day. Walked twenty minutes, then 5x5x3 chest, lats, and shoulders.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #673

An older Concept II rower showed up in our gym recently and I gave it a try the other day. I have no idea of what setting it was on, but I was anticipating much more resistance, much like you would expect with real oars in the water. Am I missing something or do these machines provide very light resistance? I was able to get its fan whiring pretty well.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #674

Today is shoveling snow day. Will not be going to the gym.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #675
Administrator

DFW_M5, they don't have a whole lot of resistance. My reaction was the same when I first tried one. I always set resistance to the maximum (although others will tell you that is wrong! but that is what I do). However, if you use the Concept II for a while it will surprise you and give you quite a workout. I think it seems light to us because it is not much resistance for a weight lifter, but the cardio that is also provided by the Concept II sneaks up on one. I like to try to make the watts go up higher during each pull, just to see how much I can sustain. Perfect form is very important in order to prevent back injuries, but then as a weight lifter you too are probably used to focusing on form when you work out. For me, the Concept II is a great way to lose weight, probably because of the cardio aspects. If you go to their website here, you can compare your performance on the Concept II to that of others all over the country and world, and that is fun sometimes.

Today I walked at the indoor track at my gym, and walked 150% as far as I did on my walks last week. Not only that, my walk seemed less challenging and less tiring. While I ache a little from it, it isn't as bad as last week either. This is extremely encouraging.

Since I was wearing my Fitbit, and since the track is measured, I was able to determine how long my stride is. That will be helpful for walks outside. Interestingly, since I am 5'9" it turns out that my stride length of 28" is just about exactly as predicted by the usual formula (height in inches times .413 for a woman and times .415 for a man). But now I know.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #676

Today is rest day. Will take a 2 mile walk to and fro the neighbourhood shopping walk and maybe walk some more for shopping purposes. Then an hour or two or ironing clothes. I think that should do it for a rest day.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #677
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
An older Concept II rower showed up in our gym recently and I gave it a try the other day. I have no idea of what setting it was on, but I was anticipating much more resistance, much like you would expect with real oars in the water. Am I missing something or do these machines provide very light resistance? I was able to get its fan whiring pretty well.
DFW_M5
Go to this website. They will explain the resistence setting and there is a good video on proper technique, which is very important to avoid getting hurt (back). I used to row quite a bit before my accident and I loved it. Nice thing about it at the gym was that the rowers were usually still available for use while all the other pieces of equipment were in use. Worked out good for me!
Twolfy
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...chnique-videos
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Today is shoveling snow day. Will not be going to the gym.
+1. Shoveled some snow today. Great workout, but my back will feel it tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
+1. Shoveled some snow today. Great workout, but my back will feel it tomorrow.
Went out there 4 times today shoveling. Time to take some aleve and hit the sack.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #680

Wanted to run today, but I was coming along quite well on a concrete project (dog run and pad for woodshed...got the frame and shaping done quicker than expected. So I decided to pour the first of 5 slabs. Sore, but mostly from the shaping, digging and leveling. The pour added to it, but not too bad.

R