Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #721
Dryer sheet aficionado

30 Minutes weights
55 Minutes Elliptical Machine

My "Lose It" App tells me that I can eat a large healthy dinner tonight. Hurrah!
johnrlawjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #722
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
My neighbor had a bootleg copy of Jane's first workout video (the real one was $80 back in early 80s). Every move had the potential for major joint damage. Good times.
I've never actually seen one of her videos, but I know she is a workout junky and based on her recent appearance at the awards, especially given her age, she must be doing something right
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #723
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can finally post something real here.

I am using my mini stair stepper while I watch the weather channel in the AM. I have logged 750+ steps in 4 sessions in the last 6 days. I can feel my leg and butt muscles strengthening as I go. I already had good muscle tone, so it's all a bonus. My goal is to tone up my beer pudge midsection and legs. Miniskirt weather is fast approaching.

Mr B has permission to nag me to do the daily routine, but I think I will stick with it. I am looking forward to the time when I can do 500 steps in 1 session without feeling muscle strain in my thighs.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #724
Give me a forum ...

That's terrific, Freebird! I'll bet that is as many stairs as climbing from the ground floor clear to the top floor of a big highrise building.

I just read that there are 1860 steps from the ground floor to the observation deck on the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building. So, you are more than 2/5th of the way up! Pretty cool.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #725
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

I've never actually seen one of her videos, but I know she is a workout junky and based on her recent appearance at the awards, especially given her age, she must be doing something right
Nm
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #726
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

Yes, she looks good. The hubbies liked watching the original video for the guy eye candy like her pelvic thrusts, probably really bad for the lower back, as was the contorted sit-up featured on the cover http://harleysoccermom.files.wordpre...da_workout.jpg
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #727
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't believe how cheap these DVD exercise videos are! For a grand total of $43, I ordered these from Amazon:

Jane Fonda: Prime Time Walkout
Leslie Sansone: Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection
The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Weight Loss Yoga
Yoga for the Rest of Us with Peggy Cappy
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

These should provide me with a variety of fun things to try in order to keep moving when the mood strikes. The Jane Fonda video was the cheapest at $5.43, so even though I had my doubts, how could I lose?

Now, if only BUYING them meant that I would actually DO them frequently, I'd be set. We'll see.

There are more intense (and more expensive) videos out there, like P90X and Insanity, but I am not looking to knock myself out like that.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #728
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Squats with a 50 lb dumbbell. 4 sets of 35.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #729
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another hour on the stationary bike - am getting my heart rate in the aerobic zone (110-125) about 40 minutes of that time. Hope to get my HDL levels up this year. Working the upper body with some loose weights. Walked for 30 min at lunch three times last week at work.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's terrific, Freebird! I'll bet that is as many stairs as climbing from the ground floor clear to the top floor of a big highrise building.

I just read that there are 1860 steps from the ground floor to the observation deck on the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building. So, you are more than 2/5th of the way up! Pretty cool.
Thanks

I like the Empire State Building analogy. I climbed that on a school field trip when I was a teenager.

I am not very good with exercise machines, mostly because of boredom and a slight lack of self-discipline , but this is a good fit for me. I bought it years ago and use it periodically. Paired with 2 x-country ski poles for balance, it is a good w*rkout for my middle and lower body. Once I get conditioned and can go longer, I will get a pretty decent aerobic session.

I measured my middle section pudge before I started the stepper routine so I can track progress. I hold in my stomach while I do the stepping so that the muscles get maximum benefit and I maintain good posture.

If I get bored with the Weather Channel, I can always pop in my Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn cartoon DVD. Or one of my classic Disney movies. I also have streaming Netflix service, so I have access to comedy shows and all sorts of cartoons. Gotta keep it FUN or I will not stick with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kettlerstepper.jpg (419.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #731
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Thanks

I like the Empire State Building analogy. I climbed that on a school field trip when I was a teenager.
Wow!!! That is pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am not very good with exercise machines, mostly because of boredom [...] If I get bored with the Weather Channel, I can always pop in my Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn cartoon DVD. Or one of my classic Disney movies. I also have streaming Netflix service, so I have access to comedy shows and all sorts of cartoons. Gotta keep it FUN or I will not stick with it.
I just read the neatest thing about activity on the American Heart Association website, and it addresses the boredom issues: here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heart Association
Make it fun!
•Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting. Add variety. Develop a repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy. That way, exercise will never seem boring or routine.
•Ask family and friends to join you — you'll be more likely to stick with it if you have company. Or join an exercise group, health club or the YMCA. Many churches and senior centers offer exercise programs too. (Remember to get your doctor's permission first.)
•Use variety to keep your interest up. Walk one day, swim the next, then go for a bike ride on the weekend.
•Use music to keep you entertained.
I loved finding that quote, because I am having a tough time settling on one sort of cardio activity that I like. I love weight lifting, but when trying to also incorporate some cardio, well, I seem to be flitting from one cardio activity to another. But since the AHA says it's OK to do that, then I guess it's OK.

Yesterday I rode my stationary bike for 30 minutes, 6.2 miles. My walking regimen? Gone for now. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

Today, I spent 40 minutes lifting a total of 16.7 tons on the weightlifting machines at the gym.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #732

Yesterday breakfast was drink with protein powder, banana, Greek yogurt, and almond butter, no lunch but early dinner with chicken breast (boneless and skinless) and boiled potato, then dried apricot snack at night. Today tea this morning then 5 miles on the eliptical and a few upper body exercises. Came home and weighed myself. Gained 2 pounds since yesterday. This happens all too often.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #733
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow!!! That is pretty impressive.
It took hours, but we all did it. I think it was 7th grade, maybe 8th.

I've climbed this one too.
Pilgrim Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was a bit of a tomboy as a kid. I was in fabulous physical shape from playing basketball and softball with my brothers and their friends, plus tennis, riding my bicycle everywhere, ice skating every Friday night and on a pond near my house, cleaning houses, soccer in gym, running track for 2 years in HS (miler and 3rd leg on 440 relay), w*rking for NYS in food service in a huge dining hall, swimming in local watering holes and the Hudson River, etc etc. I played wicked racquetball (a lefty who kept that fact to herself ) as an adult, as well as volleyball, golf and tennis. Always on the move.

Post bilateral carpal tunnel, DeQuervain's, tendinitis and upper body RSI, I can no longer play raquetball, tennis, softball, golf, etc etc. Gymnasium exercise machines trigger the RSI, even with light weights. So I do what I am able to and try not to be frustrated with the permanent partial disability (rated 10% per hand by OWCP).
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #734
Recycles dryer sheets

I really need to take a day off but my hiking boots are calling my name. Plus it's snowing and I AM a winter type of gal. Now if the plumber would just get here to replace one of the toliets I might have enough time to head out the door for a few miles. Otherwise I guess it's going to be the Airdyne and some free weights.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #735

45 min dumbbell workout.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #736
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
45 min dumbbell workout.
You're very self-depreciative today...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You're very self-depreciative today...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #738
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Yesterday breakfast was drink with protein powder, banana, Greek yogurt, and almond butter, no lunch but early dinner with chicken breast (boneless and skinless) and boiled potato, then dried apricot snack at night. Today tea this morning then 5 miles on the eliptical and a few upper body exercises. Came home and weighed myself. Gained 2 pounds since yesterday. This happens all too often.

Cheers!
Just remember, if you are lifting weights it entirely possible to slim down and gain weight at the same time. The good news is the weight gain may be attributed to adding lean muscle. Just look in the mirror and use that as your guide and forget about the scale.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #739
Recycles dryer sheets

Biked 56 Miles and Ran 3 miles today ... Starting to ramp up the program a bit .. I have now lost 85 pounds in 9 months. I have 10 pounds more to go and I will have met my weight goal. Talked to a triathalon coach last week and he suggested some longer distances and adding in weights to the program .. Tomorrow is Swim 2 miles and lift .. Somehow that seems like it will be much easier than today.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #740
Recycles dryer sheets

Walked 3 miles today which was the best I could do with the temp at 4 below. My husband asked me if I was nuts. So did one of my sisters.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote