Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just remember, if you are lifting weights it entirely possible to slim down and gain weight at the same time. The good news is the weight gain may be attributed to adding lean muscle. Just look in the mirror and use that as your guide and forget about the scale.
I think my mirror lies too just like the scale but I'll keep on keepin on. I'm going to see if I can follow a program similar to the Jeff Galloway program for half marathon and marathon training but make it for the eliptical machine.

I made 10 miles this morning. This is the farthest I've "run" to date. It took 2.5 hours since I kept my heart rate at what I was told a fat burning rate. Now I have to back off to 3-4 miles every other day for the next 2 weeks sprinkled with other play inbetween before I try for 12. Adding 2 miles to the longest run every other week with short miles every other day is ( I think)close to the recommended pattern.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spent the better part of 2 hrs on the ice avoiding several miniature hockey player wannabes emulating brownian motion.

Heisenberg was right, and the theory applies to kids with hockey skates.

A bad day skating is better no skating at all.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #743
Give me a forum ...

Last night I rode my stationary bike for 30 minutes, 6.6 miles using one of the programs intended to simulate a hilly route.

Today I lifted 17.0 tons at the gym. That was an increase in weights so I feel tired ( in a good way) and a little drained. And then, I got home to these five new exercise DVD's.

Maybe after American Idol?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday I lifted 16.1 tons on the weightlifting machines at my gym. Today I went for a walk. Tomorrow more weightlifting.

Another day older and deeper in debt....

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Hope to get motivated to get more physically active from reading this thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Spent the better part of 2 hrs on the ice avoiding several miniature hockey player wannabes emulating brownian motion.

Heisenberg was right, and the theory applies to kids with hockey skates.

A bad day skating is better no skating at all.

Sounds uncertain.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #746
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post

Another day older and deeper in debt....

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Hope to get motivated to get more physically active from reading this thread.
Pretty funny!

There are so many different and enjoyable ways to get more active. Just the variety is motivational to me.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Biked 56 Miles and Ran 3 miles today ... Starting to ramp up the program a bit .. I have now lost 85 pounds in 9 months. I have 10 pounds more to go and I will have met my weight goal. Talked to a triathalon coach last week and he suggested some longer distances and adding in weights to the program .. Tomorrow is Swim 2 miles and lift .. Somehow that seems like it will be much easier than today.
XYZ, I'm curious as to the other effects that losing 89 pounds have had on you. How have your BP, RHR, blood glucose, cholesterol (and combination of LDL/HDL and triglycerides) evolved? How about overall energy to attack each new day? Other issues like arthritis? Just curious. I could stand to lose a lot of weight but I think taking off 89 pounds would be too much for me, but a good solid 50-60 pounds weight loss would do me some good. I know you are exercising a lot, but what kind of diet regimen are you following to assist in the weight loss?

Thx, R
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #748
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post

Sounds uncertain.

Do prefer when not needing to practice my skills at avoiding schmearing tots under my skates.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #749
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
XYZ, I'm curious as to the other effects that losing 89 pounds have had on you. How have your BP, RHR, blood glucose, cholesterol (and combination of LDL/HDL and triglycerides) evolved? How about overall energy to attack each new day? Other issues like arthritis? Just curious. I could stand to lose a lot of weight but I think taking off 89 pounds would be too much for me, but a good solid 50-60 pounds weight loss would do me some good. I know you are exercising a lot, but what kind of diet regimen are you following to assist in the weight loss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Thx, R

It's a long story but I will try to answer your questions. It was the blood glucose which scared me straight. I had a Dr. Appointment last year in June and it showed my glucose was going up and that was the big wake up call. My Blood pressure was already high and I was taking medicine for that and cholesterol could have been better. The first thing I did was stop all alcohol consumption, I would drink wine at night and it weakened my self-control with what I was eating. As far as diet was concerned I was eating good food just too much of it, so my first step was to eat only 1 plate of food at dinner and no in-between meal snacks. Eventually we got smaller plates and the portions improved even more. I also started walking every day for 30 – 60 minutes. I walked for about 3 months and eventually the walking evolved into running. Believe me, this was not easy but it worked. If I did not feel up to running I walked but I always did something every day. I also started doing short bike rides 5 to 15 miles on some days. In October (4 months later) I had lost about 45 – 50 pounds and was tested again with the Doctor. Needless to say he was very pleased and all the numbers were excellent, we even dropped the BP medicine. I took the month of November off (one month before retirement) and really started to ramp up the bicycle rides (up to 50 miles) and added swimming into the mix. When I finally retired in late December then I really picked up the pace. I swim about 2 miles a day 4 -5 days a week Bike is now up to 56 miles every 3 days and I run 4 days a week between 3 and 7 miles a day. I am trying to include lifting and calisthenics in the daily routine starting this week to really round out my program.
How do I feel? I am down 85 pounds I feel like a teenager again! My waist has dropped 10 inches from a 42 to a 32. I am very lucky not to have any physical problems and have the ability to exercise like I do. I actually feel bad that I had let myself go with no real good reason. The energy level is unbelievable, On Tuesday I ran 3 and biked 56 then on Wednesday after swimming 2 and lifting I was itching to do more… Today I ran 7 followed by a 2 mile swim. I have been able to ease up on the diet a bit (even had a couple of beers last week) due to all the exercise but it was very important to lose the weight so I could actually exercise like I am doing. A couple of other helpful things that actually came as suggestions from the forum here.. First read “Younger Next Year” it really helped getting me motivated. The second was I joined MyFitnessPal.com (it’s free and has a great calorie counter and logging feature) It really helps to know that if you are working off more calories than you are eating… Good luck on your journey, It’s great that you now have the time to do this, take your time and you will see results.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
it was very important to lose the weight so I could actually exercise like I am doing.
As the saying goes, "Before you can exercise to get fit, you have to get fit enough to exercise".

Sounds like you're doing great...very impressive!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #751

Thx XYZ.

I've not been exercising as hard as you. I've been running for a number of years, and my health has definitely improved, but the weight seems to be stuck. I honestly thought that I would have more time to exercise in retirement but so far that has not been the case. My plan was to walk 1 mile morning and evening with the new pup, run 3-4 miles 4x per week, and ride 8-10 miles 2-3x per week, and toss in a daily swim when it gets warm enough. The past few weeks though, I'm lucky to get one run and one ride per week, and a mile with the pup per day...I've been so busy with chores around the property that need to be done. Most of said chores are very physical, so I think I had kind of justified my lowered exercise levels by saying to myself "you dug for an hour today" or " you spread compost for three hours today" or some such.

I also see that you have worked on portion control and are staying away from alcohol. I don't drink, so I don't have an issue with that, but my portion control could be better. Regardless, I think my Achilles is really staying up too late. We usually have dinner around 6-7pm, and if I stay up watching the tube until 11 or later, I get hungry and feel like I need a snack, otherwise I cannot fall asleep...so I do. Guess I better stop that and hit the hay a little earlier to avoid the late night snack...I'm ok once I've fallen asleep. I too do not snack during the day.

Maybe it's time to step back for a moment and re-prioritize...get my serious exercise done early in the day and move on to the chores afterwards. Besides, no matter how much I work on the chores around the house, there are still more to do, and even though I want to go for a run, I've too often heeded their beck and call.

Thanks for sharing your story. Perhaps I've gleaned some useful pointers.

R
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #752
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rambler,
....Try cutting way back on processed sugar, processed flour and fried foods for a couple weeks and see if that does not take some pounds off. Cutting the processed sugar will require you to read the ingredient labels. The activities you are doing on chore days should be enough to take some weight off with just cutting most of the evil three mentioned above out of your diet. When you feel like you need a snack instead of the typical prepared snack foods eat a hard boiled egg, or thin slice of lean meat or an orange or banana or apple or handful of grapes.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #753
gone traveling

Rambler,

I would try to avoid snacking during the 2 hour period before your bed time and limit any snacking to a healthy one as jclarksnakes advises. I think a protein snack would also be better in the evening (eg hard boilded egg, slice of cheese, protein shake, tablespoon of natural peanut butter on celery) vs a carb like an orange or apple.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #754
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Rambler,

I would try to avoid snacking during the 2 hour period before your bed time and limit any snacking to a healthy one as jclarksnakes advises. I think a protein snack would also be better in the evening (eg hard boilded egg, slice of cheese, protein shake, tablespoon of natural peanut butter on celery) vs a carb like an orange or apple.
DFW is right. I forgot to mention protein shakes. Look for ones that are made from whey proten and that are also sugar free. Mixed with half milk and half water some of them are pretty tasty and make a filling low carb snack.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #755
gone traveling

This morning was shoulder and arm day. Also in the gym were Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer and Brandon Carr of the Cowboys. Jay did a mini pass rush through the heavy bag and all I can say is OMG, I would not want to be pass blocking against him. Watching them on TV does not give any sense of how much power these guys have
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Probably more than you'll ever care to know about meal timing...

JISSN | Full text | Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #757
Give me a forum ...

DFW_M5, that sounds so inspiring to watch! We don't have any professional football players at my gym, but we do have a lot of professional firefighters there. I love watching them, because they are so fit. They probably think I am hot for their bods since I keep staring, but really I am just getting inspired to put more into my workouts. Also I think an ounce of regular cheddar cheese is a great bedtime snack.

Today's workout: lifted 17.2 tons at the gym. Last night: tried a new aerobics exercise DVD at home.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #758
Give me a forum ...

I assembled a manual treadmill that I got a couple of days ago. I didn't want to get a big monster motorized one as there isn't room in my place plus the size and cost. Also, my plan is to only use the treadmill for walking and not running. The treadmill has a fixed incline which got my heart pounding and sweating only after about 5 minutes and I really feel the effect on certain leg muscles I haven't used in some time.

I haven't decided if I want find a way to lower the incline or not.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #759
Give me a forum ...

I had a good workout with my manual treadmill today...

Here's what I did:

1) wheeled treadmill down to my car

2) picked up all 50 lbs of the treadmill

3) stuffed treadmill in the back seat area

4) ready to haul away to Goodwill tomorrow...the happiest I felt all weekend

If I get another treadmill in the future, it'll definitely be motorized
Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #760

16km (10mi) run by accident this morning. DW woke me up at 0637 by shrieking at the top off her lungs. Turns out it was just a bad dream but tell that to my thudding heart, lol. So got up, dressed and headed out. Beautiful sunset over Lake Ontario this morning. Lots of oranges and pinks. It was -4 deg C so nice for running and quite deserted. Got to the 5k turn around, kept going. Ran through a park to my usual 10k turnaround and was so deep in thought that I didn't even notice. Hit 11.5 and went, aaaah woops. So, committed to the full sixteen, lol. Nice run overall but much slower than I normally go. The upshot of that is the legs feel great, which they haven't much lately.