Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #801
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
So far so good: spent about an hour on the various wight machines yesterday and really feel it this morning. Today's exercise will be yard work and getting the vegetable garden ready for planting.
Great! Glad to hear that this gym may work out better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Hey W2R, when you post how many tons you've lifted, are you just keeping a mental note of how many reps x weight used? Total tonnage sounds like a good measure to track. I'd like to do that when I get settled in at this gym, but right now I'm changing the weight a lot until I find what I'm comfortable with.
No way can I remember all that! I always do two sets of 10 reps on each machine, so I don't need to remember the reps. There are lots of ways to remember the weights, probably many better than my method, but anyway here is what I do.

1. I clip my iPhone to my gym shorts so that it is with me throughout the workout. On the iPhone I have a text file with the name of each machine I normally use, and the weight I lifted on it last time. I always do the same machines in the same order (unless one is busy, and then I go back when it is free).

2. I check before lifting to see how much I lifted on that machine last time, and if I change the amount then I change it on that text file afterwards, when reading the weight for the next machine.

3. Then when I get home, I look at the text file and compute the total amount lifted in Excel. I have an Excel file all ready to go and all I need to do is change any that I changed.

Some people like the iPhone app Jefit, but I can't stand it and would rather record things manually as I described above. I think my way is faster. If you don't have a smartphone, you could just keep a pencil and paper in your shirt pocket I suppose.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #802
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a little bored with my mini stepper, so I loaded up the CD player with KD Lang, Tina Turner, Patsy Cline, Eric Clapton, and Joan Baez. Every time a fast bouncy song comes on, I go into the living room and dance my tush off.

Try sitting still while these songs are playing...wooo hooooo

Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #803
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know if this has been posted here before but here it is. It might give some hope to some of us that we can stay fit into old age. It might make some of us just give up now.

Johanna Quaas, 86-Year-Old Gymnast - PositiveMed
Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #804
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting the granny gymnast...pretty inspiring.

I'm taking it easy today..I hurt my lower back in yoga on Thursday...gotta learn to know when I'm over-doing it...

We did a 2.5 mile walk this morning though with the dog and then I shoveled a load of manure onto the truck for the veg garden...I suppose I should unload before the day is over.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #805
Moderator Emeritus

Love the granny gymnast! It's amazing that she can do that without breaking bones, at her age.

Yesterday, 17.4 tons; today, yoga.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #806

I dug up 3 30yo azalea bushes in the front yard then sat in the hot tub. I think I'm going to regret this tonight when I'm trying to sleep. I'm already beginning to get stiff muscles and joints and I still have 3 more to go. They will have to wait a few more days.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #807
Give me a forum ...

Outdoors all day, at the camp. Burned down dead bushes and grass on the creekside. Was a balmy 48F.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #808
Full time employment: Posting here.

Really nice weather this week so I have gotten more miles on the bike. 16 on monday, 25 on tuesday and 23 today. I did lots of yard work sunday and monday. Tuesday I did P90X chest. shoulders and triceps. Tomorrow I will ride again and do P90X back and biceps.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #809
Recycles dryer sheets

Biked 65 miles yesterday, ran 5 this morning will lift later today
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #810

Went 5 miles on the elliptical trainer yesterday then tried a new machine. I think it was called a Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer. It gives a range of motions from stair stepper to elliptical with short stride to long stride. It took quite a bit more effort than a standard elliptical. Within less than a minute my legs were challenged and my heart rate went from 115 (I just got off the other machine) to 145 bpm. I think I might have lasted 5 minutes and decided I would continue with the regular elliptical and only gradually introduce the new machine in my workout. Has anyone ever used one of these machines?

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #811

Slow 5 mile run at Turtle Bay in Hawaii with DW. She hasn't run much lately due to the knees, and was very slow. At about the halfway mark I picked up the pace and ran ahead, then back to her, four or five times. It was an absolutely beautiful morning, clear sky, cool temps, and an absolutely refreshing run.

R
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #812
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok Rambler.. I am so incredibly jealous ! Ran 5 this morning in 40 degrees F with rain... Hope to get on the bike tomorrow when the sun comes out.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #813
Give me a forum ...

2 hrs of figure skating, to close out the season. The favorite rink is closing down for the summer.

Next up, spiffy up the kayak, next week start kayaking and there is a commercial skating rink on the far side of Johnstown where I can stop after kayaking and get in an hour of skating, on the way to my Mancave.

Life is good in retiremnt.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Ok Rambler.. I am so incredibly jealous ! Ran 5 this morning in 40 degrees F with rain... Hope to get on the bike tomorrow when the sun comes out.
Sorry xyz. 40 degree weather in the morning is why I've not run too much the past few weeks. It's been too cold and I'm a wimp. Don't like wearing long stuff and don't like shorts at 40F. By the time the temps hit 55-60, I've already been working outside on a project for 6-8 hours, and too tired to run.

Today the knee was bothering me a bit so I started out intending to walk. After about a half mile, knee loosened up and so I decided to give running a go. Finished 4 miles running, plus the half mile walk warming up, and another half mile to cool down. Yesterday's weather at TB was perfect. Today was cloudy, too warm, and very humid. But felt good when I was done. Tomorrow us probably a rest day due to DD's university graduation. We'll have to leave the hotel early enough to get there and be seated by about 8:40.

R
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #815
Recycles dryer sheets

Well it warmed up yesterday so I ran 12 miles yesterday..getting that mileage up there.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #816
gone traveling

My gym has three huge earth mover type tires for flipping and also for hammaring on. Yesterday, I tried doing some sledge hammar slams on the middle sized tire. The tire was leaning up against the wall so I pushed it over and did 3X15 sledge hammar slams with this large steel sledge hammar (its longer than a normal sledge hammar, is all steel, and has a large ball shape for a head). After doing that, had to lift the tire to lean it back up against the wall. Wow, was that sucker heavy. On the way out, I mentioned to the trainer at the front desk how heavy that tire felt, and he said which one did you use. I said the middle sized one, as the big one looked way too heavy. He laughed and said actually the middle one is the heaviest as it has more solid rubber. I never would have guessed
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #817
Full time employment: Posting here.

Taking it easy today - just 1 hour of Pilate.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #818
Moderator Emeritus

Still lifting 17.5 tons each MWF at the gym. Love those weight machines! On my off days, either 30 minutes on the stationary bike, yoga, or walking, and then nothing 1-2 days/week. Works for me and easily sustainable.

Edited to add: 17.9 tons today, woo-hoo!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #819

Just an easy 5 km run with DW. After we shower, we are heading to DD and DSIL's apt to help move them back to the mainland from North Shore Oahu.

R
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #820
Give me a forum ...

I just finished 460 steps in 15 minutes on my ministepper. This is 4x the number of steps I was able to do on my first day on March 10.
I have averaged 4 exercise sessions a week for the past 5 weeks, using the ministepper or just plain dancing in the living room.
I recorded a bunch of VH-1 Classic 80s videos on my DVR. I play these while I exercise, enjoying the music and using the trim bodies of the dancers as visual motivation. When dancing, I mimic the video dancers' moves. What a w*rkout!

My legs and derriere are firming up beautifully. So far only 1/4" loss around my middle pudge, but that's better than zero.

My latest bone density scan revealed that I have mild osteopenia at age 54.5. I did some online research and read that weight-bearing exercise is recommended for bone strength, as well as calcium and Vitamin D intake. I've played a lot of sports all my life, so my bones are not brittle. My hands (carpal tunnel, tendinitis) prevent me from playing sports again, but my legs w*rk just fine. So my conclusion is to use the ministepper as my weight bearing exercise, rain or shine.

I'm also cutting back 50% on carbs to combine food intake modifications along with the exercise.