Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

That's great! I like mine, too. It is very motivating.

Lifted 16.7 tons Monday, and 16.8 tons yesterday. Today I went for a nice air conditioned bike ride (on my exercycle).
Ha! Yeah, I knew it was you, I even got the FT7, but in a "manly" color.

That 16 tons bit cracks me up - I get stuck on Tennessee Ernie Ford.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #842
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Ha! Yeah, I knew it was you, I even got the FT7, but in a "manly" color.

That 16 tons bit cracks me up - I get stuck on Tennessee Ernie Ford.
Me, too! But really it's the only way I can think of to measure what I did on the weight machines, other than to just say 45 minutes. I have seen some people spending 45 minutes at the gym, without lifting much at all, so that just doesn't say much to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #843

Quote:

Me, too! But really it's the only way I can think of to measure what I did on the weight machines, other than to just say 45 minutes. I have seen some people spending 45 minutes at the gym, without lifting much at all, so that just doesn't say much to me.
I hear you. You are a victim of song!

I guess when I am done, if I don't even want to meet myself ("oooh, that disgusting sweaty guy!"), it's a good day.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #844
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hear you. You are a victim of song!

I guess when I am done, if I don't even want to meet myself ("oooh, that disgusting sweaty guy!"), it's a good day.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #845
Recycles dryer sheets

Biggest workout this year. 45 min spin then an hour swim fit that ended in 800 meters of IM. That's 8 lengths of butterfly! That's huge for me! I'm digging ER!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Biggest workout this year. 45 min spin then an hour swim fit that ended in 800 meters of IM. That's 8 lengths of butterfly! That's huge for me! I'm digging ER!!
OK Mark Spitz, I thought you retireed some time ago
Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #847

After a winter hiatus, started back on the stairs this week.....today 80 repeats, (80 x 59 = 4720 steps).......(then went to the mall and did 80 repeats on the escalator.....nowhere near as demanding. )

Will hit the elliptical in an hour or so.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #848
Administrator

Nemo, it is amazing to me that you can climb so many stairs when just starting after a winter's hiatus! Such an impressive workout.

I lifted 16.8 tons again yesterday, and I am tired today. I plan to either ride on my exercycle or else do a little Wii Fit later on this afternoon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #849

Quote:
Nemo, it is amazing to me that you can climb so many stairs when just starting after a winter's hiatus!
Prior to starting back, I have/had been working on the elliptical, (aiming for 70 minutes a day, in two sessions, but not always hitting the target)..........started wearing a tensor bandage on the right knee, (ran a marathon with them on both knees, 29 years ago); now with the stairs back in the picture..back to one ~ 35 minute session a day.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Prior to starting back, I have/had been working on the elliptical, (aiming for 70 minutes a day, in two sessions, but not always hitting the target)..........started wearing a tensor bandage on the right knee, (ran a marathon with them on both knees, 29 years ago); now with the stairs back in the picture..back to one ~ 35 minute session a day.
Nemo,

You might want to consider a part time job as a light house keeper. Just think, your own private staircase and you get paid for it too
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nemo,

You might want to consider a part time job as a light house keeper. Just think, your own private staircase and you get paid for it too

So...I looked in the classifieds.....ad for 'light housework'.....turns out they wanted cleaning done.

(I used to be a light eater......soon as it got light I started eating....tah dah. )

Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #852
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thirty miles on the bike yesterday.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #853
Full time employment: Posting here.

Trying to crank up the bike riding again (recumbent-Bacchetta Giro 26). Fighting bad Ach. Tendons so I have been keeping it to not much more than an hour, but hope to get it back up to 50 hilly miles a couple times a week in a few weeks. That combined with walking uphill on the treadmill does it for me. Just need to lay off the beer......
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #854

Just did 100 stair repeats = 5,900 steps, ~ 148 stories.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #855
Administrator

16.8 tons. Not only am I sore and tired, but also I somehow lost my Fitbit at the gym. >:( AHA!!! Found it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #856

Monday I did a 3.1 mile (5km) run, 2 mile walk and a half mile swim. Yesterday I did 9 miles on the bike, two mile walk and half mile swim. Today was another 3.1 mile run. I was hoping to get another half mile swim today, but the weather has turned a little cool. I may wait another day or two depending on the weather. The swim is in our 38' unheated pool, and it is a little early to be swimming. I've Jerry-rigged a little heat by using the pool-cover pump to send the cold pool water thru 500' of black garden hose, and the water temp comes back to the pool about 20 degrees warmer, so that helps, but it is still chilly.

R
Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #857
Recycles dryer sheets

That's awesome Rambler.. looks like you may get to that triathlon after all... I've slowed down a little since I got back up north from Florida still swimming 2 miles a day but biking 25 miles every few days and quite a bit of running .. ( about 6 miles 4 - 5 times a week).. Still trying to add weight lifting into my routine just never seem to get to it .. joined a club last week maybe that should help. Hoping to do a sprint tri in June not sure if the schedule will allow it.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #858

Yesterday loaded 660 lb of scrap metal onto my pickup. Then dropped the stuff at the scrap yard. $72.20, cash to me. Workout that pays real money
Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #859
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Yesterday loaded 660 lb of scrap metal onto my pickup. Then dropped the stuff at the scrap yard. $72.20, cash to me. Workout that pays real money
Some time back I replaced an old oil fired boiler... With the help of a neighbor, a dolly and lots of persuasion we managed to get the old hulk onto the truck. I took it over to the scrapyard, weighed in and was directed to unload on the pad. I walked the old boiler off the truck...it hit the pad with a great thump. As I started to back away off the pad the big magnet swung by and sucked up the old boiler like it was a paper clip. Kinda shook me up to think how close me and my truck were to getting sucked up too.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #860

They are good magnets. The crane operator can control the current, thus the magnetic energy. The scrap yard uses electromagnet to unload pickup trucks routinely. If they want to they can pick up the pickup.