Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #861
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I lifted 16.9 tons at the gym. Every little increase helps.

Today, I rode my stationary bike at home.

Probably my favorite surprise about retirement is how much exercise I am getting, and how much healthier and younger it makes me feel.

Through e-mails, I have persuaded my big brother to start weight lifting. He is a big framed, strong guy for a 70-year-old, and he began by lifting 17 tons! He didn't even get that sore from it. I am excited for him, because I think he is really going to like it and he will be good at it. He walks several miles every day, a habit I should get into at some point.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
He walks several miles every day, a habit I should get into at some point.
Two thumbs up on that one. Walking is one of the few things I miss about working - lunchtime wasn't only about lunch!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
That's awesome Rambler.. looks like you may get to that triathlon after all... I've slowed down a little since I got back up north from Florida still swimming 2 miles a day but biking 25 miles every few days and quite a bit of running .. ( about 6 miles 4 - 5 times a week).. Still trying to add weight lifting into my routine just never seem to get to it .. joined a club last week maybe that should help. Hoping to do a sprint tri in June not sure if the schedule will allow it.
Thx xyz. I'm still hoping to do the tri, but I've had to back off running again. My knee is not liking the pounding I guess. I've been off my runs for a week now (used to go 4-5x per week, 23-28 miles per week at my best, backed off to 3x per week, got busy in retirement and it shrunk to 1-2x for a while. The knee issue seems to have popped up due to trying to get back to that 20+ mile per week level too quickly). It feels like I'll have to wait at least one more before restarting. When I do, I'm gonna keep it low n slow for a while, the build back up slowly. In the meantime, the bike and the pool are calling my name. Today I did 4 hours of fence and gazebo painting, followed by 16 miles on the bike on country roads, and 1/2 mile swim. Wanted to try for 3/4 mile but arms are sore from painting.

R
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #864
Recycles dryer sheets

7 Minutes exercise

Recent article in New York Times about 7 minute exercise looks very appealing, no need to go to gym and convenient.

HIGH-INTENSITY CIRCUIT TRAINING USING BODY WEIGHT: Maximum R... : ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal
landover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #865
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 6 miles and swam 1 mile for the past several days.. adding in weightlifting now (ouch)...
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #866
Recycles dryer sheets

Rambler, xyz I'm tri training too. 22 miles yesterday and river swim. My race is June 27 then I'm planning vineman aqua bike in late July....not so good on the running part
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #867
Recycles dryer sheets

Rambler try rolling out your IT bands A lot of knee issues are caused by those. Find you a good massage fascia release kind of guy. They can work miracles
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #868
Moderator Emeritus

Still lifting the same weight (16.9 tons) every MWF... in my case no triathelon in mind, but just slogging along at my own pace towards my objectives of better health, capabililty, and sense of well being as I grow older. It's wonderful to have more time to work out, now that I am retired.

I talked to a 75 year old woman in the locker room at the gym yesterday, and she told me that it is much harder for her to exercise in her 70's than it was in her 60's. What I took from that is that those of us in our mid 60's need to get active now, in order to get a head start on things before we reach our 70's and exercise becomes more challenging.

My mother lived to ~98, and exercised regularly well into her 90's so I am hoping to be like her in that respect.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #869
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I haven't been able to use my ministepper for a week now (injured big toe). I really miss doing it.
I have compensated by doing leg lift exercises while seated or lying down.
Back in the saddle again...foot is fully recovered and my mini stepper routine begins again.
I did 142 steps today. I'll be back up to 400 steps in no time.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #870
Moderator Emeritus

Shoveled/wheelbarrowed 18 cubic yards of mulch over the past 4 days. It's been non-stop yard work since May 1. Now I hope to get back to daily biking,hiking, running and kayaking.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #871
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Back in the saddle again...foot is fully recovered and my mini stepper routine begins again.
I did 142 steps today. I'll be back up to 400 steps in no time.
305 steps today. It feels good to be exercising again , right in the comfort of my living room, watching recorded music videos from the 80s courtesy of VH-1.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #872
gone traveling

I've layed off my big leg exercises (deadlift, squat, calf raise, etc) since I pulled my hamstring a few weeks ago playing softball. Since then, I've been doing upper body split between heavy lifting and lighter high volume work. I adopted this routine to hopefully lose a few pounds and not lose strength and so far this seems to be working. I've shed 5+ lbs and can still lift close to my max lifts. Will probably restart leg day this coming week as the hamstring is feeling better.

Glad to see that W2R and Freebird have recovered. I hate injuries as its so hard to stay away from the gym or stop some of the exercises you love
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #873
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've layed off my big leg exercises (deadlift, squat, calf raise, etc) since I pulled my hamstring a few weeks ago playing softball. Since then, I've been doing upper body split between heavy lifting and lighter high volume work. I adopted this routine to hopefully lose a few pounds and not lose strength and so far this seems to be working. I've shed 5+ lbs and can still lift close to my max lifts. Will probably restart leg day this coming week as the hamstring is feeling better.

Glad to see that W2R and Freebird have recovered. I hate injuries as its so hard to stay away from the gym or stop some of the exercises you love
TY

Now let's not get carried away and say I love exercise.
I just know I have to do it, so I make it as enjoyable and excuse-free as I can.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #874
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, DFW_M5.

This week Monday was an "off day" for some reason, so I only lifted about 2/3rds as much and it was hard to do that! Since then I have been fighting back, and happily lifted 17.0 tons on Wednesday and today. "I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR" and all that.

I do love my weightlifting workouts, at least after I get started on them (it's hard to love them beforehand when there is still a possibility of procrastinating). I don't think I could have kept up a regular lifting routine like this for so many years if it wasn't something that genuinely appeals to me.

I don't feel like myself unless I have worked out regularly. Lately I have been feeling some slight twinges of plantar fasciitis, and so I am wearing supportive shoes every second and also doing all the other things that have helped me with PF in the past. Hopefully I can fend it off before it interferes with my life or workouts.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #875
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
... My mother lived to ~98, and exercised regularly well into her 90's so I am hoping to be like her in that respect.
Hearing stories like that helps to keep me motivated! My father didn't get much exercise after he retired and right now at age 90 he's in pretty bad condition mentally and physically.

I bicycled 20 miles yesterday + lots of yard work, and today will be a repeat of that, with a few more miles on the bike. My trial membership with a gym is up and I decided not to continue that - decided that gyms are not for me, at least not in the summer when I do so much outside. I do dumbbells and body weight exercises at home and I feel that this approach works better for me.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #876
Moderator Emeritus

JoeDreaming, your exercise routine sounds terrific!

Mom's continuing care facility in Honolulu had a gym room, with lots of machines and free weights that one could use when desired. Also every day a personal trainer held gym classes there for those seniors who were interested. She worked out daily, either with the trainer or on her own. She also walked for exercise. Maybe her daily exercise regimen is part of why she enjoyed life so much, even when she was over 90.

I think that more and more people are beginning to understand that keeping physically fit is so important for all of us as we age, in order to maintain a higher level of independence and capability than we might otherwise have and to keep our bodies functioning normally.

Right now, at 65, there are quite a few benefits of working out regularly. It just occurred to me this morning, after awakening from 9.5 hours of deep, pleasant sleep, that maybe the strength training that I do regularly is helping me to sleep better than many women my age that I know. Either that, or else I am extremely fortunate.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #877
Full time employment: Posting here.

Golfed 18 holes and 1.5 hours of body massage.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
JoeDreaming, your exercise routine sounds terrific!

Mom's continuing care facility in Honolulu had a gym room, with lots of machines and free weights that one could use when desired. Also every day a personal trainer held gym classes there for those seniors who were interested. She worked out daily, either with the trainer or on her own. She also walked for exercise. Maybe her daily exercise regimen is part of why she enjoyed life so much, even when she was over 90.

I think that more and more people are beginning to understand that keeping physically fit is so important for all of us as we age, in order to maintain a higher level of independence and capability than we might otherwise have and to keep our bodies functioning normally.

Right now, at 65, there are quite a few benefits of working out regularly. It just occurred to me this morning, after awakening from 9.5 hours of deep, pleasant sleep, that maybe the strength training that I do regularly is helping me to sleep better than many women my age that I know. Either that, or else I am extremely fortunate.
9.5 hours deep sleep.. I'm so jealous! Good thing you are a frugal lady, W2R, because living to be 125, isn't cheap, as you will last that long sleeping like that.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #879
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
9.5 hours deep sleep.. I'm so jealous! Good thing you are a frugal lady, W2R, because living to be 125, isn't cheap, as you will last that long sleeping like that.
I wish!! If an immortality pill ever becomes available, I'll be the first in line... I know I'm really lucky about the sleep, though.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #880
gone traveling

Still sore from yesterday. DS and I disassembled my Tuff Stuff weight rack, moved and reassembled it at DS's house. It wasn't all that bad, but trying to get some to bolt holes to line up on the top of the rack was a bit frustrating. He will certainly get more use from it, since I very rarely worked out at home. It also cleared a large space in our Master bathroom which we are about to remodel as pre-selling fixup.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote