Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Mine went like this:

12 oz curl.... Sip
10 oz curl.... Sip
8 oz curl.... Sip
6 oz curl.... Sip
4 oz curl. ..... Sop
2 oz curl. .....sip

Back to the fridge to workout my other arm!
My man..........

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #922
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still nursing a sprained ankle. Workout today in the gym was 10 minutes stretch, 20 minutes brisk walk, 20 minutes rowing and 20 minutes stationary cycling. Did work out a sweat!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #923
Administrator

After lifting 17 tons each MWF throughout July, lately it has been so unbearably hot that I wanted to do something different.

I have added the elliptical cross-trainer at the beginning of each workout during the past week, and I am lifting just 12 tons after that. The elliptical has always been very hard for me and I can't stay on it very long yet but I am making steady progress.

I have to admit that adding the elliptical probably wasn't the brightest idea for cooling off in the middle of a heat wave...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #924
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The elliptical is my favorite machine. It never occured to me until someone pointed it out that you can reverse leg direction and get at a whole different set of muscles.

I think legs are the most important piece of a workout. Without them, how would you play the steel?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #925

For years, I used the elliptical as a 5 minute warm-up before doing my lifting and it did get the blood flowing. For a change of pace, I am now on the treadmill, doing a 3.5 MPH walk for 2.5 minutes and then a 6.5 MPH jog for 2.5 minutes.

When I want to get a little more fat burning, I put the treadmill on a 21 degree incline, and walk at 3 mph for 20-30 minutes.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #926
Dryer sheet aficionado

Getting Ready to go running on my 10 mile loop. I love the warm moist air of the South East. So nice on my lungs. I also went walking with the DW last night to watch the meteor showers. We are not retired yet, but we are just practicing.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #927
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
For years, I used the elliptical as a 5 minute warm-up before doing my lifting and it did get the blood flowing. For a change of pace, I am now on the treadmill, doing a 3.5 MPH walk for 2.5 minutes and then a 6.5 MPH jog for 2.5 minutes.

When I want to get a little more fat burning, I put the treadmill on a 21 degree incline, and walk at 3 mph for 20-30 minutes.
That is terrific! Presently I am doing 8-10 minutes on the elliptical and I plan to increase as soon as that begins to feel trivial. Right now, it still doesn't feel even a little bit trivial. I am mostly doing it for cardio health I guess (although fat burning would be a welcome and unexpected bonus). Also I kind of want to prove to myself that I can do something that I am not naturally good at and thought I couldn't do.

Eventually I may get bored with it and if/when that happens, I have my eye on that good old Concept2 rower which I have done and enjoyed in the past. The elliptical or rower are just meant to spice up (not replace) my lifting workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The elliptical is my favorite machine. It never occured to me until someone pointed it out that you can reverse leg direction and get at a whole different set of muscles.

I think legs are the most important piece of a workout. Without them, how would you play the steel?
I would reverse leg direction to get at that different set of muscles, but before I do that I need to get used to working the first set of muscles! Good idea for later on, though.

Among the 20 machines I use in my weight lifting routine, I include the leg extension, leg curl, calf rotator, hip adductor, hip abductor, and complex row machines, all of which involve my legs to some extent. The cardio aspects of the elliptical are especially challenging for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #928
Recycles dryer sheets

On the weekends I come in an hour earlier than the customer's opening time to let the AC be cooling the building. I walk a 20 minute mile everyday, in the AC and on the clock. Six trips, going around the edge of every room is 17 yards shy of a mile. That includes going down a wheelchair ramp and back up four feet of steps in the Ballroom, and up and down two feet of steps in the lobby. If I'm feeling good I will go ahead and do 3 more laps, to make it a mile and a half. On week nights I walk after the last customer leaves.

We have a bike, stair stepper, eazy-lift and gazell at home, but I find it hard to stick with them. Getting paid to walk makes it easier to do everyday.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #929
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently purchased a bike so have now added that to my exercise routine. (avid walker/hiker/snowshoer) Unfortunately a few days ago I was diagnosed with a torn annular disc (L4/5 region) so the biking isn't progressing like I had hoped. Only managed 7 miles today and only a 2 mile hike yesterday. Hubby keeps reminding me that slow and steady wins the race. Will find out next week how serious the back injury is this time. ugh
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #930

Today ran 5k and back weight workout. Alternating days of run/bike with weights 5 days a week, one body part per day.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #931
Recycles dryer sheets

Its mountain biking season over here in Salt Lake city. I am riding the Little Cottonwood creek trail nearly every day. The goal is simply to get to the top as fast as possible.

The trail is 3.3 miles long and climbs about 1300 vertical feet.

This season started about 4 weeks ago and my first ride was about 48 minutes. (historically, this was a great start).

Today's ride was 36 minutes... and yes, the lungs were busted and the legs were burning! Average heart rate is 151 and max is 168.

Tomorrow's ride will be a long ride (up and down twice). Well, maybe...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #932
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my rides in. Deliberately slower to keep my heart rate as low as possible.

Trip #1 up was 48 minutes with Avg HR of 139.
Trip #2 up was 53 minutes with Avg HR of 133.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #933

A normal week is:

35 minutes of elliptical with target of 575 calories burned (7 km) 2-3x/week
2-3 hrs tennis (mostly doubles) 3x/week
30-40 minute walk with dog 3x/week

I find that the elliptical machine is the only repetitive machine that doesn't bother my knees.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #934
Recycles dryer sheets

Walked 5 miles and biked 3 so far today. Hubby and I will probably bike another 5 or so tonight.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #935

Good news! Went to see the Ortho today about the torn ACL and meniscus. He said that it is possible from the MRI that I may have a minor tear in the ACL, and that the meniscus injury seems no more than normal wear and tear for someone my age...no surgery needed, with the caveat that eventually I will probably need to have it scoped and cleaned up a bit. I told him that I had taken about two months off from running, and had started back slowly, back up to about 10-12 miles a week now. He thought that was great, but advised that I don't get too serious about running, and try to run every other day instead of every day, and to bike or walk or something else on the off days. So, I'll probably ramp up to about 15 miles per week over the next several weeks, and then leave it pretty much at that. I guess my 25 +/- mile weeks are probably done...we'll see how I feel after a few weeks.

So far this week: an 8 mile bike ride and a 3.5 mile run, with a lot of dragging the float and roller over the 7200 sq ft lawn development in my front yard, and walking the pooch.

R
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #936
Administrator

Every MWF at the gym I am still riding the elliptical for 10 minutes and then lifting 17 tons, give or take 1/2 ton. On 2-3 other days per week I ride my stationary bike at home for 30-60 minutes.

I am pleased that for more than a month I have been able to add at least a little cardio on a regular basis to my long term weight lifting routine (which I love and much prefer).

I bought some wireless RF earphones to wear at home while watching the TV on my stationary bike. Tuning out the rest of the world makes it lots more fun, and the sound is better.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #937
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
lifting 17 tons
How high?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #938
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday's workout...

Spirited, fat-burning hike out of the Grand Canyon in 4 hours and 5 minutes. 7.5 miles and 4500 vertical feet with a 20 pound back pack.

Only did the hike out as this was part of a fantastic 3-day white water rafting trip with Grand Canyon White Water rafting co.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #939
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
How high?
Not all at once!

Utahskier, that sounds like quite a hike!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #940

Two hours of figure skating.