Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hiked 4.5 miles, which on the surface sounds mild. But we were in Sloan Canyon and had an elevation gain of about 600 ft. Again sounds mild, but when you're a TX flatlander going uphill for long stretches is tough! Hope that within a month or two I'll be able to scamper up the hills instead of plodding.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #962

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Been working hard.. 30 minutes calisthenics daily 30 minutes strength training daily.. In addition to this, the past 2 days .. Yesterday ran 14 miles today Bike 45 miles Swim 1.2 .. Meeting with a triathlon coach Wednesday to develop a program because I registered to compete in a half ironman competition in May on the big island of Hawaii!!!
Wow, that's a lot of exercise! After my knee problems, I've only been getting 3-4 mile runs, 3x per week, and 3 mile walks a couple of times, plus all the outdoor work on my 2 acres.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #963

This one burned just under 1600 calories:

Row 500 meters in less than 2 minutes
50 walking lunges with 50 pounds dumbbells
50 front squats holding a 45 pound weight plate at chest height parallel to ground
50 hand release push ups
50 Burpees with kettlebells in each hand and a jump

Rinse and repeat
Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #964
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love the weight machines at my gym! I am so lucky to have so many fine machines available to me there. Today I began by stretching at the stretching station for about 10 minutes, and then lifted a total of 18.2 tons on the weight lifting machines if you add up the weights from every lift. This was by doing 2 sets of 10 for each machine:

poundsmachine
120Keiser triceps pushdown machine
70Keiser upper back machine
45Keiser biaxial chest press machine
75Nautilus lateral pulldown machine
35Nautilus fly machine
70Nautilus triceps extension machine
100Nautilus abdominal machine (first round)
70Cybex arm extension machine
175Cybex calf rotator machine
90Cybex leg curl machine
70leg press machine
35Cybex overhead press machine
160Cybex back extension machine
35Nautilus arm curl machine
55Nautilus chest press machine
110Nautilus compound row machine
110Cybex hip abductor machine
155Cybex hip adductor machine
105Nautilus abdominal machine (second round)
50Cybex leg extension machine
85Cybex seated row machine

Then, since all four seated elliptical machines were in use, instead I rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes at level 6, 2.3 miles. Nothing for most of you, but for me this got both my heart rate and respiration rate up nicely and was suitably challenging. Since I am reading "Younger Next Year", I wanted to do more of this for longer but this was all I could do today. I could barely crawl back to the locker room. I will just keep at it and it should get easier.

The gym was more crowded today than usual. I guess lots of gym members must have decided on improving their health for their New Year's resolution.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #965
Give me a forum ...

2 hours of figure skating. No idea how many calories burned. OTOH whaen I got home there was a large tray of brownies with extra chocolate topping. Did have a few squares.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #966
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Love the weight machines at my gym! I am so lucky to have so many fine machines available to me there. Today I began by stretching at the stretching station for about 10 minutes, and then lifted a total of 18.2 tons on the weight lifting machines if you add up the weights from every lift. This was by doing 2 sets of 10 for each machine:

poundsmachine
120Keiser triceps pushdown machine
70Keiser upper back machine
45Keiser biaxial chest press machine
75Nautilus lateral pulldown machine
35Nautilus fly machine
70Nautilus triceps extension machine
100Nautilus abdominal machine (first round)
70Cybex arm extension machine
175Cybex calf rotator machine
90Cybex leg curl machine
70leg press machine
35Cybex overhead press machine
160Cybex back extension machine
35Nautilus arm curl machine
55Nautilus chest press machine
110Nautilus compound row machine
110Cybex hip abductor machine
155Cybex hip adductor machine
105Nautilus abdominal machine (second round)
50Cybex leg extension machine
85Cybex seated row machine

Then, since all four seated elliptical machines were in use, instead I rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes at level 6, 2.3 miles. Nothing for most of you, but for me this got both my heart rate and respiration rate up nicely and was suitably challenging. Since I am reading "Younger Next Year", I wanted to do more of this for longer but this was all I could do today. I could barely crawl back to the locker room. I will just keep at it and it should get easier.

The gym was more crowded today than usual. I guess lots of gym members must have decided on improving their health for their New Year's resolution.
Sounds like you are back to that vigorous workout and then some. May be you can retitle the book to Younger this Year.

Do you drink any kind of recovery shake (eg Protein/BCAAs) after your workouts?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #967
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sounds like you are back to that vigorous workout and then some. May be you can retitle the book to Younger this Year.

Do you drink any kind of recovery shake (eg Protein/BCAAs) after your workouts?
Thanks for the kind words. No, although I did have half a grilled chicken sandwich at lunch right afterwards, and that, plus resting for a few minutes, perked me up. I intended on throwing out the bread but somehow that didn't happen.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #968
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a 5k on the treadmill today. Starting to get back in shape following sports hernia surgery. Been walking but for me I need to run in order to lose weight which is a goal of mine. Necksurgery and a car accident a couple years back have taken away most of my previous active sports life.
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #969
Give me a forum ...

Twolfy, good work getting such a great treadmill workout so soon after surgery! I need to lose weight too, and I am going to Weight Watchers and working on it. But, to be honest, mostly I work out for the other benefits like having a body that can do more and feeling younger.

Today at the gym I did the same weightlifting routine as above, but 18.8 tons this time due to increasing a few weights. I love weightlifting!

I also rode the seated elliptical at level 8 for 20 minutes, 2.7 miles. For me that was pretty challenging and a step up from Monday's workout. Here's a video showing what the seated elliptical is for those who don't know. Our gym recently acquired four of them, and I think they are so cool. These machines are very similar to a stationary bike, but your feet travel a bigger, elliptical pattern. They are very popular and almost always in use, so I was lucky to get one.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #970
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks W2r. I had used a seated elliptical machine for some rehab many years back , for a broken ankle, and I liked the machine quite a bit. It looked less high tech than the one you showed but acheived the same result. I normally dont like the standing elliptical trainers as I can never seem to get one that fits my stride and thus gives me some hip pain. The ones at the gym where I go dont have ones with stride adjustments. Used to like to row but after accident that didnt work at all for me. Its been a couple of years now so I think I might try that slowly once again. Used to swim also but causes too much neck pain and headaches due rolling my head. Will need to try something other than freestyle to see how that works. Just glad to be doing more. A little at a time is difficult for me cuz i was usually flat out when it came to exercising and sports.
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #971
Give me a forum ...

Just do what you can, twolfy! Adjusting to what you body can do after an accident like that is probably going to involve some changes in your routine for a while, but you are doing wonderfully.

I was working out on the regular (standing) elliptical, but after fainting at the gym and hitting my head a couple of months ago I decided it might be smart to use the seated elliptical instead for a while.

I decided to take a day off today, because I have worked out for six days straight (well, strength on MWF but aerobic on all 6 days).

I painted the shutters of my house today, so at least I got some activity in. Hard to know if that is aerobic or strength, though. Maybe more like Yoga because of the awkward poses I had to maintain to reach the shutters.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #972
Dryer sheet aficionado

30 -12oz Busch Lights
rprun54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #973

Two rounds of golf in January. Good to be in California.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #974
Give me a forum ...

Since November of last year, I'm eating healthier and cutting back calories. The weight is coming off, but a little too slowly for me, so I have started exercising. I've never been a big exercise buff, but I found this video and really enjoy it.

It's low impact which is what I need right now.

I've been having back pain (I'm a full figured gal) and exercise seems to make it worse. The pain goes away after a while, but I get tired of it non the less. Recently I bought a sports bra. I tried it today and no back pain!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #975

Fished for 8 hrs. I'm tired.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #976
Full time employment: Posting here.

7 mile walk through Seattle's arboretum and capitol hill neighborhood. Nice and quiet.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #977
Give me a forum ...

You all are completing such great workouts!

As for me, today I rode my stationary bike for 45 minutes non-stop, 8.5 miles. Tomorrow is a gym day for us, so I will be lifting weights again at the gym and probably riding my stationary bike at home after that.

Following Younger Next Year, I have been doing weight lifting three days a week, cardio 5-6 days a week, and resting one day. So far this has been fun, and that is the main reason I am doing it; to add a little spice to my workout routines. I do feel a lot more peppy.

My Concept2 rowing machine is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday.

That's just in time, because the gym is going to be closed from Wednesday through the end of the month. During this time I plan to work out on my stationary bike and Concept2, and maybe go for a short jog now and then when it isn't raining.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #978

Nothing too strenuous -- a couple miles of cross-country skiing. This has been a great season for snow in Wisconsin. I hope to get out every day I can to take advantage of it. (And since I'm retired, that translates to nearly every day!)
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
What was Your Workout Today?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #979
Give me a forum ...

What was Your Workout Today?

Ten miles and change on the road bike.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #980
Recycles dryer sheets

Cold outside so came up with a living room workout.

Mix and Match as you please, A total of 400 reps of the following as quickly as possible:

Push-ups
Sit-ups
Air squats
25# kettlebell swings
Dips (hands on bench with feet on floor)
ICNTR is offline   Reply With Quote