Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #981
Administrator

5 minutes on my brand new Concept2 rowing machine, 50W, 25 spm. First workout on it.
Trying to ease into it slowly. Love it; smooth as glass.

Then a half hour on my stationary bike.

Our gym is closed until Feb 1 for remodeling, and it is cold with sleet and drizzle outside.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #982
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
5 minutes on my brand new Concept2 rowing machine, 50W, 25 spm. First workout on it.
Trying to ease into it slowly. Love it; smooth as glass.

Then a half hour on my stationary bike.

Our gym is closed until Feb 1 for remodeling, and it is cold with sleet and drizzle outside.
Seems like you are becoming a cardio junky. It was certainly a surprise to see the weather in Baton Rouge and NO. Hopefully it is warming up today. Enjoy the Concept2!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #983
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Seems like you are becoming a cardio junky. It was certainly a surprise to see the weather in Baton Rouge and NO. Hopefully it is warming up today. Enjoy the Concept2!
Thanks! I am hoping that my doctor will be pleasantly surprised that I finally took up more cardio just as he advised. I think the rowing machine combines strength and cardio nicely. Still, I will be glad to get back to weight lifting at the gym in February when it re-opens.

My planned workout today will be the same as yesterday; stationary bike for maybe 30-45 minutes, and Concept2 for 5-10 minutes. I want to ease into the Concept2 slowly while focusing on good form. I have to fight the tendency to want to go "all out" on that machine, and I do want to avoid potential injuries. So, a cautious beginning seems in order. I love my new Concept2, though! It is just smooth as silk, and what a great addition to my home gym.

Yes, after freezing rain last night, we are expecting temperatures approaching 60F today! Simply amazing. Maybe I will add a short walk outside to my workout today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #984
Full time employment: Posting here.

No workout today. Nursing a flu. Never can decide whether to workout or not when I have flu. Today I just felt like resting so I can recover quickly.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #985

Workout today will be the same as yesterday - an hour of shoveling snow
Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Workout today will be the same as yesterday - an hour of shoveling snow
I see that we are doing the same exercise plan!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #987

Took the dog for a 30-minute brisk walk early this morning, as usual. Came back, had breakfast, did my pullups, then took the kayak out in the bay. Paddled for 40 minutes against the wind to get where I wanted to go, then let the wind blow me back home (as I fished). I figure that's about enough exercise for today.........going to sit in the sun outside and read for a while now
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #988
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't w*rkout... I play.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #989

What was Your Workout Today?

I think Ha Ha and W2R are secret employees of Concept2...working their sales magic via this forum. Now I've bought one too! I tried a Fluid E316 yesterday to convince myself I could really operate a rower...then ordered the Concept2/D this morning thru Amazon.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #990
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I think Ha Ha and W2R are secret employees of Concept2...working their sales magic via this forum. Now I've bought one too! I tried a Fluid E316 yesterday to convince myself I could really operate a rower...then ordered the Concept2/D this morning thru Amazon.
happy2bretired, I love mine and hope you like yours too! Mine is also a Model D like yours. I had used these rowers at my gym, and so I expected to like it but what I didn't expect is how smooth the action is compared to the "beaters" (well used rowers) at the gym.

I have injured my back before on a Concept2, and that is easy to do sometimes if one goes all out and/or does not pay sufficient attention to form. So, I am being especially cautious to pay close attention to my form and to start gently and build up more slowly than I would otherwise. In the literature you will get with your Model D, Concept2 includes addresses of videos on their website illustrating the correct form.

I love the Concept2 because it combines strength and cardio and because it is more interesting and fun for me than most cardio.

Edited to add: BTW, quite a few of us like the Concept2! Here's a thread about it.

Concept2 One Month Report

Today: 10 minutes, 61 Watts ave, 27 spm, 1693 meters. Tension set to level 5.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #991

Thanks W2R...can't wait. I promise I will go slowly. I like new toys!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #992
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Thanks W2R...can't wait. I promise I will go slowly. I like new toys!
Me too! We are going to have such fun with our new rowing machines.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #993

I am doing P90X with 100 extra weighted chin-ups on the resistance days and extra cardio on the plyometrics, yoga and kenpo days.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #994

Shoulders and arms today:

Overhead Press
DB raises
DB and bar curls
triceps pull downs
lat raises and pull downs
pull ups
face pulls
heavy bag work

Extra inspiration from big dogs being in the house: Demarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff, Drake Nevis, Josh Hamilton and former great Russell Maryland.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #995
Recycles dryer sheets

20 min on each: eliptical, treadmill and recumbent bike
Old 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #996
Recycles dryer sheets

Slipped away from work for a lunchtime run around downtown Pittsburgh. Grabbed a bench about half way through the run for some push-ups and dips under the shadows of Heinz Field over looking the confluence of the Ohio River. Total distance 3.5 miles.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #997
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was upper-body day at the gym. Today is twelve-oz curl day at the bar...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #998
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yesterday did a 5 km hike/slog along the mountainous south shore of Banderas Bay, arriving at a beautiful sandy beach accessible only by water and returning via water taxi after lunch.

It had been a bucket list item.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #999

Took a 45 minute walk with DH. Some sidewalks were still snow covered. Felt great to get out and walk with the sun shining.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
20 min on each: eliptical, treadmill and recumbent bike
That is close to what I do. I do the elliptical last - try to get my heart rate up to 145-150 for at least the last 5 minutes.