Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #1021
Recycles dryer sheets

3.68 mi in 45 min on treadmill. Keep getting a little faster which is a good thing. Trying to get to 5 days a week but so far three is max . Knee complains too much.
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1022
Recycles dryer sheets

Hiking thru snow at local park with DW. We averaged a 16 min pace which was very tough today. Was very tired but felt good to be outside even though it was in the low 20,s
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #1023
Recycles dryer sheets

3.84 mi in 45 min on treadmill. Getting faster but that one wore me out. Biggest limiting factor for me is spine pain and headaches due to accident. Now to get after the weights.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #1024
Recycles dryer sheets

Two and a half hours of pickleball with the group at the gym. Then an hour of a baseball specific workout emphasizing core explosiveness, with 50 yard sprints around the track after every exercise. And batting practice in the evening, which is more skill training than exercise.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #1025
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
Two and a half hours of pickleball with the group at the gym. Then an hour of a baseball specific workout emphasizing core explosiveness, with 50 yard sprints around the track after every exercise. And batting practice in the evening, which is more skill training than exercise.
You sound like a hardcore ball player. I played NABA when I was late 40s/early 50s, but had to give it up due to my worsening night vision. All our games were at night. Now getting ready for sr softball in April and also doing wind sprints in the gym to avoid the numerous hammies that I ran into last year. Wish I had a little more pop in the bat like years ago.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #1026
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we're probably more serious about it than our skill level allows, but that's OK. We play in both NABA and MSBL tournaments in Arizona and Las Vegas. The local leagues are over-35 and over-38, but the tournaments are closer to our actual ages; both of my teams are pretty much over-55. I can relate to the night game issues, it's not easy to pick the little white ball out of the blurry mass of umpire/catcher/hitter at night. And most of my extra base hits disappeared when we moved to wood bats.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #1027
Full time employment: Posting here.

I finished a round of P90X last Thursday. I took a day off Friday and started Body Beast on Saturday. The Body Beast very high calorie diet which is also much higher in carbohydrate percentage than I am used to is a challenge. Workouts with weights Saturday thru Tuesday were okay. I am also doing weighted chin-ups every other day. Today I did Beast Cardio and Abs and the cardio was tough enough that I had to hit the pause button and catch my breath a couple of times.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #1028
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Three of us walkers did a jungle hike yesterday. Had to navigate numerous barbed wire gates and mostly dry river beds. Also barking dogs and squawking roosters. The reward was a jungle oasis and zip-lining venue where we had an early lunch. The return bus ride was 8km.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #1029
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Three of us walkers did a jungle hike yesterday. Had to navigate numerous barbed wire gates and mostly dry river beds. Also barking dogs and squawking roosters. The reward was a jungle oasis and zip-lining venue where we had an early lunch. The return bus ride was 8km.
Sounds like a 'stroll' we had around Huatulco last year........ended up in an almost deserted bay, (totally deserted except for the vultures)..........the trash-hound dogs have to be threatened sometimes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #1030
Give me a forum ...

Tried on six pairs of jeans.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #1031
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
You got me beat!

I did a fairly wimpy workout with the weight machines. I am still recovering from throwing my back out a few days ago, so I had to skip about a third of my usual machines and lower the weights on the rest of them. On the bright side, at least I didn't mess up my back that way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #1032
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You got me beat!

I did a fairly wimpy workout with the weight machines. I am still recovering from throwing my back out a few days ago, so I had to skip about a third of my usual machines and lower the weights on the rest of them. On the bright side, at least I didn't mess up my back that way.
....It was a fracas that's for sure, but I managed to bring two of them home!

Be careful with that back now...take it easy.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

You are so funny! Any success of good fitting?
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #1034
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
You are so funny! Any success of good fitting?
Yes. I bought two pairs that fit me perfectly. The other four...one pair was too long and the other three were 'what was I thinking'.

I now have jeans in my closet in five different sizes. I'm slowly losing weight and I swear on my broccoli and daily fiber pill, I will be wearing the smallest pair by the end of this summer.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #1035
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tuesday and Wednesday's training focused on power, muscular endurance and mental conditioning. Each day's session was limited to 3 exercises, 5 sets done pyramid style.

Tuesday:
Full Squats (1:30 rest between sets)
18 reps at 135
15 reps at 155
12 reps at 175
12 reps at 195
10 reps at 225

45 degree leg press (1:30 rest between sets)
18 reps at 360
15 reps at 450
12 reps at 540
12 reps at 640
10 reps at 720

Seated lat pulldowns (1:30 rest between sets)
18 reps at 80
15 reps at 100
12 reps at 120
12 reps at 140
10 reps at 160

Wednesday:
Bench Press (1:30 rest between sets)
18 reps at 115
15 reps at 135
12 reps at 155
12 reps at 175
10 reps at 195

Pull ups (alternating grip each set) and Plyometric push ups (superset with no rest)
4 set of 10
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Yesterday: hour at the gym with mostly body weight exercises directed by personal trainer. The 4 miles interval training runs. 5 min warm up followed by 600m all out, 400m easy, x6, and 5 min cool down. Trying to get to "excellent" on the Cooper test (2400m/1.5 miles in 12 min for those over 50). Currently at good, at about 2200m in 12 min. Not fast at all, but trying to get faster.
The interval training has paid off. I finally reached "excellent" on the Cooper Test. At my age, I have to run 1.5 miles/2400 meters in 12 minutes to reach excellent. Yesterday, on month after my last post on this thread, I made it, with 3 seconds to spare. I song think I has ever run an 8minute mile in my life.

This morning, I decided to run easy, and still did better than 10 minute miles for 5k/3.1 miles (30 minutes and a few seconds).

I know that these figures are slow by the standards of many here, but for me, it's a real accomplishment.

Next targets: 1) 2500 meters in 12 minutes, and 2) 5km in 26 minutes (PB is about 27:45, a couple years ago, running with employees half my age).

R
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #1037

Rambler, congrats! Very satisfying to achieve the goals you've set for yourself!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #1038

Thursday was all strength, and Friday was a mixture of strength and power.

Thursday:
Deadlifts 5 sets of 15 @ 135lbs
Overhead lunges 8 sets of 10@ 35Lbs - superset with 10 front squats at same weight

Friday:
Standing downward cable flyes 3 sets of 10 at 30Lbs each side
Dumbbell gunfighters 3 sets of 10 at 10Lbs each side
Dumbbell bench press with full internal rotation 3 sets of 15 at 50Lbs each side
Standing lat cable pressdowns 3 sets of 25 starting at 60Lbs and increasing by 10 each set.
Power cleans 3 sets of 5 at 95 lbs superset with 5 push presses.

Done for the week - exhausted and sore.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #1039
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Done for the week - exhausted and sore.
I got exhausted just looking at your Tuesday workout
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #1040

Tried Zoomba today! I think I can cross it off my exercise bucket list. Too much hopping up and down for my knees. Otherwise a real sweat session.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote