Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #1121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
That's a great idea. Variety in training workouts make it more interesting and motivating. Exercise is supposed to be stressful, and getting into a routine removes a huge part of that required stress.
That's what I love about my gym - - if I ever get bored, there are so many different things to do.

Yesterday, after stretching I ended up devoting my whole workout to the Precor elliptical and the seated elliptical. That was fun and very different from my usual workout.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #1122
Give me a forum ...

Today I did a 31-mile charity bike ride that turned into 37 miles 'cause I kept getting lost. Yes, even with turn-by-turn directions, a GPS and markings in the road I got lost. It was a perfect day and, according to my heart rate monitor, I burned 1,600 calories. Woo-hoo!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #1123
Give me a forum ...

Moved several multi hundred pound logs at the camp. 4 wheel drive pickup truck, rope, chain, some pulleys, 8 foot digging bar and a variety rocks were involved for leverage.

When I got home DW pointed to the shower. With the look. I guess I did work up some sweat, even though the high od the day was only 62F.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #1124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Biked 101mi in today's beautiful Midwest weather (sunny 75F w/10mph breeze). About 78mi in local club ride, then 13mi solo, then another 10mi easy spin with DW. Legs are tired & my bum feels like I've been attacked by a belt sander. Not near enough miles logged this year to have earned my butt calluses
And to think some of my older cycling buddies are riding the 24hr challenge today with goals of >300mi for the 24hrs.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #1125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Biked 101mi in today's beautiful Midwest weather (sunny 75F w/10mph breeze).
OK, OK... so I'm an amateur!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #1126
gone traveling

Biked 20 miles half of it along birthplace of American Revolution: Minuteman Park. Lexington, Lincoln and Concord Mass.

Minute Man National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I have 6 more years of work to go....just practising for having more time off.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
OK, OK... so I'm an amateur!
Pedal time- It's all good
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #1128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Pedal time- It's all good
I agree! I'm 61 and remember my grandmothers at this age. They were nice ladies with fluffy waists and big laps and they did NOT ride bicycles. I'm grateful that our perception of what's healthy and possible at this age has changed since then.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #1129
Moderator Emeritus

Giving my riding mower a rest. Cutting grass for 2+ hours with a push mower
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #1130
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Today was day 6 of physical therapy on the repaired shoulder. Still hurts like all get out
Derslickmeister, my brother had surgery on his rotator cuff - twice - and he is much better two years on.

My shoulder has been hurting for 3 months - after I lifted something that was too heavy I have been in physical therapy for three weeks, and am hoping that I don't have to have surgery. Does anyone have experience with rotator cuff injuries healing with just exercise?
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #1131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Derslickmeister, my brother had surgery on his rotator cuff - twice - and he is much better two years on.

My shoulder has been hurting for 3 months - after I lifted something that was too heavy I have been in physical therapy for three weeks, and am hoping that I don't have to have surgery. Does anyone have experience with rotator cuff injuries healing with just exercise?
I have rotator cuff problems now and then, and they are just unbelievably painful. So far they have healed after just resting the shoulder with no more weight lifting for a few weeks or more.

Since most weight lifting machines do rely upon the shoulders, injuries like this set me back quite a bit in my weightlifting efforts. I still do not lift as much as I could with the machines that seem to bother my shoulders the most, such as the lateral pull-down machine and the fly machine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #1132
gone traveling

Quote:

I think exercising with elastic tubing can heal a lot of shoulder related problems, especially strains. Surgery may be needed for major tears, but often times PT can cure most pains. Also, not all shoulder injuries are rotator cuff. I would try to avoid surgery if possible.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have rotator cuff problems now and then, and they are just unbelievably painful. So far they have healed after just resting the shoulder with no more weight lifting for a few weeks or more.

Since most weight lifting machines do rely upon the shoulders, injuries like this set me back quite a bit in my weightlifting efforts. I still do not lift as much as I could with the machines that seem to bother my shoulders the most, such as the lateral pull-down machine and the fly machine.
Thanks for this, W2R...This situation is certainly making me more aware of my body!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think exercising with elastic tubing can heal a lot of shoulder related problems, especially strains. Surgery may be needed for major tears, but often times PT can cure most pains. Also, not all shoulder injuries are rotator cuff. I would try to avoid surgery if possible.
I think the elastic tubing is working well...I just have to make sure not to pull into the pain, and take it easy.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #1135

DW had a rotator cuff injury where three tendons/ligaments (I don't know the difference) tore loose from their bone attachments. This happened when she tried to "catch herself" in a fall caused by the failure of some exercise equipment at the gym. She is at or near 100% after surgical repair. I don't see how this kind of injury would repair itself. But if it's just a muscle strain, then it seems like it would get better over time. Our experience is that rotator cuff surgery is not for the faint of heart. To make matters worse, she came down with shingles during recovery.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #1136

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with rotator cuff injuries healing with just exercise?
I've been working on mine for two years. Actually, my trainer, my massage therapist, and I, have all been working on it together - we've done a great job so far.

My expectations of what I want my shoulders to be capable of is a lot more athletic than the average person. But, I had made great improvement in range of motion, external rotation, and pain free movement within four - six months.

Shoulders, when healthy, are amazing joints. They are capable of an incredible range of motion, but they tend to be weak if not properly developed. Most modern humans have ruined their shoulders by sitting at a desk all day, and some of us have also done more damage by misusing them in athletic endeavors.

The good news is that humans are amazing, adaptable, healing machines, and much of the musculoskeletal dysfunction that people deal with is preventable and fixable. But you should find a good trainer, PT, and/or massage therapist to help you fix it.

When I started two years ago, I sometimes found it difficult to raise anything more than a few pounds to shoulder height. Last week, I held an 80-pound barbell fully extended overhead and walked the length of a basketball court, and the week before that I did 60 overhead squats with a 55-pound barbell. Amazing improvement, but it took two years of effort, and a lot of help to get there.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
DW had a rotator cuff injury where three tendons/ligaments (I don't know the difference) tore loose from their bone attachments. This happened when she tried to "catch herself" in a fall caused by the failure of some exercise equipment at the gym. She is at or near 100% after surgical repair. I don't see how this kind of injury would repair itself. But if it's just a muscle strain, then it seems like it would get better over time. Our experience is that rotator cuff surgery is not for the faint of heart. To make matters worse, she came down with shingles during recovery.
Misanman,
Glad to hear about your wife...shingles is not for the faint of heart either!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I've been working on mine for two years. Actually, my trainer, my massage therapist, and I, have all been working on it together - we've done a great job so far.

My expectations of what I want my shoulders to be capable of is a lot more athletic than the average person. But, I had made great improvement in range of motion, external rotation, and pain free movement within four - six months.

Shoulders, when healthy, are amazing joints. They are capable of an incredible range of motion, but they tend to be weak if not properly developed. Most modern humans have ruined their shoulders by sitting at a desk all day, and some of us have also done more damage by misusing them in athletic endeavors.

The good news is that humans are amazing, adaptable, healing machines, and much of the musculoskeletal dysfunction that people deal with is preventable and fixable. But you should find a good trainer, PT, and/or massage therapist to help you fix it.

When I started two years ago, I sometimes found it difficult to raise anything more than a few pounds to shoulder height. Last week, I held an 80-pound barbell fully extended overhead and walked the length of a basketball court, and the week before that I did 60 overhead squats with a 55-pound barbell. Amazing improvement, but it took two years of effort, and a lot of help to get there.
Leonidas,

Thanks for this; it gives me hope. Hopefully, it is "just" a muscle strain, and won't require surgery. It happened when I was lifting a tub of soil amendments in the garden. I kept thinking..."just a little bit further..." Then, my muscles and shoulder really starting hurting the next day.

All these years, I have been healthy, and have taken my body for granted - it's a humbling experience to come face to face with this. Working with a PT and massage therapist sounds good. I just need to stay away from the pain so I don't re-strain or re-injure my shoulder.
What was Your Workout Today?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #1139

What was Your Workout Today?

As usual I spend at least 1 hour doing cardiovascular in the gym. After 20 minutes of step machine, I felt real pangs of hunger and floaty feeling. I decided to change machines and cycle for another 25 minutes. Soon my adrenalin started kicking in and I did not feel hungry and I decided to jog on the thread mill. Good workout! It was so tempting to stop exercising when I felt hungry in the beginning.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #1140
gone traveling

Ant Mary and others may find this article interesting regarding shoulder issues:

The Shoulder Part 1: Impingement Syndrome
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote