Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #1161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am working hard on eating less and eating healthier foods but this is the hardest battle I have ever fought. I will keep at it, though this is a lifetime battle. I want a long, happy life.
I would image living in NOLA makes the eating part even tougher with all the great restaurants near you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #1162
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I would image living in NOLA makes the eating part even tougher with all the great restaurants near you.
Both tough, and easy. The food here is out of this world. But, at least when I splurge on an unwise food choice here, I get an extreme level of hedonic satisfaction from it.

I can't do that often, though, so it has to last me a while. For example I only allow myself to go to this restaurant once a year. I like their food too much.

To be honest, the eating part has been pretty tough everywhere I have lived since I had my daughter 36 years ago. I didn't have much of a weight problem before then; a little bit, but really hardly any problem. However it has been a struggle for me ever since.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I can't do that often, though, so it has to last me a while. For example I only allow myself to go to this restaurant once a year. I like their food too much.
Now that's a full course!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #1164
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Now that's a full course!
Perfect description! I love that place.

Anyway, today's workout: I lifted weights on my usual 20 machines. They added up to 15.5 tons this time. I have been doing cardio more lately instead of lifting, so I will probably be sore in the morning.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #1165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I caused myself some problems with my upper body doing a vigorous program of indoor exercising from early Feb - late April. I have residual tendinitis in my hands, wrists and shoulder from too many years at the keyboard. It all triggered from too much repetition so I decided to back off from it and let things recover.
I've been doing outside container gardening w*rk and indoor light ch*res as a substitute, so no weight came back on. Whew!
All better now and ready to get back to the stretch resistance band, the stair stepper and exercise ball. And of course watching Bugs Bunny.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #1166

Freebird,

Glad to hear you have recovered. Take it slow going forward to avoid any setbacks.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #1167

Did the same 5+ mile walk this morning and knocked 10 minutes off my time using a secret method.

If you most know, it was about 10-15 degrees cooler.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #1168
Administrator

Freebird, I'm glad you are feeling up to using the stretch bands, exercise ball, and stepper. The nice thing about doing a routine with those is that you could do it at home during your rugged winters, too. No need to travel to a gym unless you want to.

DFW_M5, you are doing some amazing walks! What terrific exercise.

As for me, my workout yesterday at the gym included no weights for a change, same as on Wednesday. I worked out on the elliptical. Then I switched over to the seated elliptical, and then walked for a while to cool down.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #1169

All my training partners were off last week, so I decided to skip the week as well. No exercise, other than some light mobility work, and I had a few carbs and a couple of alcoholic drinks.

Back in the gym today after 10 days off. It was leg day.

All exercises are 5 sets of 15 reps:

Power Squat Machine - 450 Lbs
Superset with High Knees and Skipping High Knees

Stability Ball Reverse Curls
Superset with Leg Extension Machine - 145 Lbs

Single Leg Curls - 60 Lbs
Superset with Broad Jumps

Observation: The body gets used to not training and protests when you reintroduce strenuous exercise. The first set of squats made me dizzy, and my heart rate was 155 (I would normally get to 140-142 max with that exercise). During that first superset I hit 160-165 (almost 90% Max HR). It stayed elevated for most of the hour. I've seen my training partner do the same when he took off a few days and know that it's a normal reaction. That experience also taught me that the body will recover quickly and I'll be back to normal within a couple of days.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #1170

A few hours of kayaking topped off with two hours of figure skating.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #1171
Recycles dryer sheets

Pickleball

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #1172

It was a beautiful day today so we ran outside along the lake. 45 minutes of fartlek running.

Fartlek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #1173
Administrator

Today at the gym I briskly and joyfully lifted a total of 17.8 tons on my 21 favorite weightlifting machines in 40 minutes or less. Then I rode on the seated elliptical and the regular standing elliptical, but not for as long as I had hoped. It was hot and I was pretty worn out so I called it a day.

I decided that although I suppose I should include some cardio in my workouts, I don't want to squeeze it in at the expense of weightlifting. That is what has been happening lately, and I miss lifting. So, I guess that from now on, lifting comes first and then cardio gets whatever bits of energy I have after I'm done or else on days when I don't lift.

It's good to get back to lifting.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #1174

Although today was a non-gym day, I'm almost back to normal weights and cardio after my hospital stay. Doc says next week is full bore back to normal!

It is amazing how much strength I lost over just three weeks of inactivity. I couldn't have restarted at full bore even if I'd been told it was okay.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #1175
Recycles dryer sheets

Pickleball, bike riding, lawn mowing, edging, trimming and weeding. Will do some 12 oz curls later tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #1176
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bicep curls with a martini glass full of gin.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #1177

Did my approx 1.75 miles running. Try to do it 3x/week. Not for any purpose other than general health. I get a lot of other exercise working around the house and yard, or walking around. The running is at a level I can do it without taking too much time and also not enough to cause knee or joint problems.

Many others are much longer distance than me. I am not into running races or competition, just keep up health.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #1178

4 sets of 12 each of the following exercises done as a routine:

24" box jumps
bent over dumbbell rows (50Lbs)
45 degree leg press (450Lbs)
front dumbbell raises with internal rotation (30Lbs)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #1179

Similar to yesterday, today included a combo of strength and plyometric exercises.

5 sets of:
Deadlifts 5 reps at 225Lbs.
Low hurdle agility drills
(came within a few beats of max HR doing these)

5 sets of:
50 situps
100 jump ropes

Burned 965 calories in an hour.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #1180

Thought this thread would be fun to join.

Taught dance yesterday morning for an hour. I have become a dance fitness instructor again in my semi-retirement. Definitely keeps me in shape and on my toes!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote