Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #1221
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
I've been on this cycle now for just shy of 12 weeks and my shoulder is doing much better; I'll have one week of full rest coming up and then change my routine for the next 12 week cycle.
Glad to hear your shoulder is doing better. I am usually hesitant to give any advice as you don't know the depth of knowledge of others, but when I saw that you mentioned impingement, that was a red flag for me.

Generally, when I work out, each session utilizes a balanced approach. For example when working shoulders I do pull downs as well as seated overhead presses, for arms I do triceps pulldowns or skull crushers and curls, for chest/back I do bench presses and rows, etc.

It appears you are doing the same, but doing so on alternating days, and thats fine if its working for you. I also like to change things up every 12 weeks.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #1222
Recycles dryer sheets

I've just started to introduce weight training after 2 months of intense cardio (90 minutes daily) to lose body fat. Oh the pain... especially pecs and triceps... ouch.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #1223
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Glad to hear your shoulder is doing better. I am usually hesitant to give any advice as you don't know the depth of knowledge of others, but when I saw that you mentioned impingement, that was a red flag for me.
Thanks. Fish oil and glucosamine sulfate supplements actually help quite a bit and my hope is that strengthening those little rotator cuff muscles will help long term.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #1224
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I've just started to introduce weight training after 2 months of intense cardio (90 minutes daily) to lose body fat. Oh the pain... especially pecs and triceps... ouch.
Great!!! Weight training is so rewarding, IMO. Now that you are easing back into it, my guess is that it won't take long at all until you are lifting whatever you used to lift before that two month break, with nothing but the "good pain". Just keep at it.

As for what my workout was yesterday, well, I just rode the exercycle on level 3 for a few "miles" at the gym. It wasn't a very tough workout but at least I got there and worked out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #1225
gone traveling

Quote:
Thanks. Fish oil and glucosamine sulfate supplements actually help quite a bit and my hope is that strengthening those little rotator cuff muscles will help long term.
I am a former pitcher and have had cuff problems. For cuff health, elastic tubing work did more for me than anything else.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #1226
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am a former pitcher and have had cuff problems. For cuff health, elastic tubing work did more for me than anything else.
Thanks for that! I found and ordered a nice resistance band set on Amazon.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #1227
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that! I found and ordered a nice resistance band set on Amazon.
I purchased a nice set of resistance bands a few months back, to use mainly during the cold weather months when I'm not outdoors getting my exercise gardening, landscaping, and maintaining the old homestead, or for when I just don't feel like trudging out to the gym. I just started using them last week, and love them!

Late last night, as usual, I went for a nice 3 mile brisk walk. Clear skies, brightly twinkling stars, no wind, and a balmy 16 degrees! I try to go walking or biking every day (or night) unless it's snowing or raining hard.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #1228

I took a 50 minute Aquafit class at my gym this morning. Am ready for a nap but trying to fight it off as I want to sleep tonight.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #1229
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that I've lost the "bulk" of my excess weight, I've gone from 90 minutes of intense cardio down to 60 minutes... and replace the 30 min. of cardio with weight training. It will be a while till I am lifting the same weights as I did in my younger days.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #1230
Moderator Emeritus

18 tons today, and it felt really GOOD to be lifting again...

My gym is not far from a major hospital. When I go to the gym I see lots of people in various conditions, some recovering from illness or surgery, and some suffering from injuries, extreme old age, or other physical issues. It really brings home what is important in life. I feel so lucky to be healthy, uninjured, and able to work out and enjoy it.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #1231
Moderator Emeritus

Lifted 18.5 tons on my usual 21 weight lifting machines today.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #1232

Lift 800 tons every day. 10,000 steps times 160 pounds. 😁
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #1233
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Lift 800 tons every day. 10,000 steps times 160 pounds. ��
Ha ha!!! Good one.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #1234
Moderator Emeritus

I admit it.... I slacked off and/or skipped the gym far too much over the holidays. The weather and traffic were bad, and our lives were so full.

Got to get back to it, though. Today I did what I thought was a pretty low key, easy weight lifting routine. Same 21 machines but lower weights.

Tonight I am SO sore.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #1235

5 hours of Pickleball. 3 hours early morning, followed by lunch, then another 2 hours this afternoon. Will be interesting to see if I can move tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #1236
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't returned to my mini-stepper, fitness ball, and resistance band with cartoons regimen yet. I have, however, continued my living room dance-ercise with barbells. My overall tone is decent.

I weighed myself today...I am 8 lbs lighter today than my highest weight in 2014. I have been slowly losing weight over the past year, then gaining a little, losing a little, but the net loss is still 8 lbs. It's been that way for over a month.

Time to kick it up a notch
Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #1237
Recycles dryer sheets

Snowboarding yesterday....I am so sore today. Today, I am doing some snowshoeing with a dear friend. I am making a real effort to do more winter sports. I have also been ice skating lately.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #1238
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I haven't returned to my mini-stepper, fitness ball, and resistance band with cartoons regimen yet. I have, however, continued my living room dance-ercise with barbells. My overall tone is decent.

I weighed myself today...I am 8 lbs lighter today than my highest weight in 2014. I have been slowly losing weight over the past year, then gaining a little, losing a little, but the net loss is still 8 lbs. It's been that way for over a month.

Time to kick it up a notch
I never stopped working out between Thanksgiving and New Years, but I went the opposite direction weight wise, +8 lbs
Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #1239
Moderator Emeritus

Started lifting weights (again). Goal is to lift every other day. I guess it's kind of a New Years resolution. Incline press, overhead press, 2 triceps exercises, curls, rows, lat pulls. 3 sets of 10.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Got to get back to it, though. Today I did what I thought was a pretty low key, easy weight lifting routine. Same 21 machines but lower weights.

Tonight I am SO sore.

It's amazing how quickly the atrophy sets in, isn't it? We skipped a couple of days over the holidays too, and then yesterday and today we were down with some mild bug. Back to it tomorrow, but gently. I hope not to repeat your experience.