Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
A long layoff is tough to recover from - I felt like I had never worked out in my life.
I was just remarking on that to one of the staff folks at the gym today. We skipped a day over the holidays and another one yesterday because of the snow. I felt like it put me back at least a month. It's amazing how fast the atrophy sets in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #1262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After not doing a decent workout for a couple of weeks over the holidays, I have been battling to get back to where I was. On Monday I wrote,
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Lifted 16.8 tons on my usual machines, against my better judgment. Last Friday's workout that left me very painfully sore, mad at the world because of the pain, and generally miserable all weekend, was only 15.1 tons on the same machines.
Today, I finally got back to about where I was; 18.1 tons on the same machines. I don't think I am going to be anywhere near as sore as I was over the weekend. I have only been "good sore" for the past couple of days, really no more than usual.

For me, the first workout after being away from the gym is awful even if I back off a bit, but afterwards I can increase a lot faster than usual in getting back to where I was. Thank goodness for that. I am not sure what I will feel like this coming Friday, but if necessary I can do something else at the gym. Oh, speaking of which, after lifting today I rode on the seated elliptical for a while at a low resistance setting, to cool down.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #1263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was just remarking on that to one of the staff folks at the gym today. We skipped a day over the holidays and another one yesterday because of the snow. I felt like it put me back at least a month. It's amazing how fast the atrophy sets in.
The good thing is that you'll regain your strength quickly, but that first workout is murder!

Power shoulder workout today. Only two exercises, but they were brutal. Explosive power using barbell presses, followed by pure power using seated dumbbell presses. Tomorrow I'll go back to two-a-days with cardio in the morning and upper body in the afternoon.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #1264
Give me a forum ...

Push shoveled 3 inches of snow, cleaned off the cars.
Multiple 12 ounce curls at a local dive bar.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #1265
Recycles dryer sheets

7k run with DW...then rewarded ourselves with an amazing home cooked curry dish. Yum.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #1266
Recycles dryer sheets

3 Mile run followed by a 52 Mile bike ride... Been a while since posting but still at it.. Been running a minimum of 26 miles a week and biking 150 miles a week
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #1267
Give me a forum ...

18.6, and not sore at all for several days. After being so miserably sore last weekend, it's great to be used to my regular routine again!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #1268
Recycles dryer sheets

90 minutes Tai Chi followed by an 11 mile run today.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #1269
Recycles dryer sheets

Still trying to find the right balance between cardio and weight training. Doing both during the same workout session really detracts from the intensity I can dedicate to either one. I have spent some money recently on supplements - I will find out this week if they succeed in boosting my energy level.

Other than kicking butt in my upcoming half marathon, my next "big" goal is to get body fat % down from current 20% to 10-15% in time for Summer beach season.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #1270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Still trying to find the right balance between cardio and weight training. Doing both during the same workout session really detracts from the intensity I can dedicate to either one.
Oh boy, I can sure relate to what you are saying! I can't even count the times when I have planned to do both, but after finishing one was just bushed and just couldn't put my full effort into the other.

I finally decided that no matter which I do, it's better than doing nothing. I love weight lifting but still try to fit in some cardio too.

Maybe I'll do cardio first today. Headed off for the gym shortly.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #1271
Recycles dryer sheets

I ALWAYS do cardio before weights. When I was in my extreme fat burning mode (on my way to losing 50 lbs) I was doing 1.5 hours of hard cardio. I was pretty much done. I would shamble over to the strength training area and do some token bicep curls and some barbell work. The only thing I did manage to achieve well was to leave my sweat all over the equipment...

This week (I leave for the gym in an hour) I am going to try 45 minutes of cardio (bike and treadmill) and then some extensive strength training.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #1272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
1.5 hours of hard cardio. I was pretty much done. I would shamble over to the strength training area and do some token bicep curls and some barbell work. The only thing I did manage to achieve well was to leave my sweat all over the equipment....
Yeah, that seems to be what most of the other women do at the gym. They do an admirable amount of cardio first and then just lean on the weight machines and talk to each other. I'm on the other end of the spectrum; I love lifting weights and do that first, and then my cardio time afterwards sometimes turns into more of a cool down than anything. So I try to do cardio first now and then.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #1273
Moderator Emeritus

Weights only today. Cardio tomorrow. Then I'm going to amp up workouts through the end of March. I haven't had a physical in ten years - I plan on having one in 2015 and I want to be in shape for it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #1274
gone traveling

The best kind of cardio for me is sprinting (HIT). It also has a lot in common with resistance training in that it helps to build muscle. I have yet to get that from jogging or other slower and longer cardio type workouts.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #1275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The best kind of cardio for me is sprinting (HIT). It also has a lot in common with resistance training in that it helps to build muscle. I have yet to get that from jogging or other slower and longer cardio type workouts.
I don't remember what it was called, but remember that thing you showed a video of, where you push a sled across the room? That seems like it would have a huge cardio component to it.

I did the exercycle today because out of all forms of cardio, I probably dislike it the least. The exercycle seems to help my knees so maybe I am getting some muscle around the knee. The Concept 2 rowing machine is a good one for building muscle, IMO, and I like that one too. I guess sometimes the slow, long type of cardio you mentioned helps with endurance instead of muscle.

Honestly I think anything that I do at the gym is better than playing couch potato. When I lift weights, I prefer to move briskly from machine to machine, and to not spend longer between sets than I spend doing a set. I don't quite do it fast enough to be circuit training, but I move right along. After 45 minutes I am done with my routine, and drenched and breathless too so I think I probably get at least *some* cardio that way. I can't really say the same for my lame cardio workouts like the exercycle today.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #1276
Give me a forum ...

Weather permitting, bicycling is my "cardio"; otherwise, walking.

It's worth remembering that resistance training is "cardio" to an extent. I usually walk 0.5-1.0 miles before hitting the machines. Yesterday, I went to the rec center for "leg day". It was damp and chilly, and even after walking for twenty minutes, I was still chilled a bit, especially my fingers.

Enter set one of leg presses, a set of eight at 210 lbs.

No longer cold...

But I use weights that are challenging. No 100 rep sets with five pounds, which is really only slightly glorified cardio.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #1277
Recycles dryer sheets

Workout today will be similar to yesterday - 10 mile bike (moderate hill), 3 mile run (treadmill), then weight training. Yesterday was arms, back, abs...today shoulders, chest, triceps...

Will keep this up till Friday - weekend is recovery time.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #1278
Give me a forum ...

sets of 25

3 sets trx rows
3 sets 17.5 lb curls
3 sets 135 lb lat pulls
3 sets 17.5 in/out curls
3 sets 17.5 seated shoulder press (last set was 35 reps)
3 sets trx reverse flys
3 sets trx overhead tri extension
Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #1279
Recycles dryer sheets

1 Mile Swim / 50 Miles Bike
Old 01-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #1280
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Monday: 45 minutes stairmaster

Tuesday: 1 minute sprints on treadmill followed by 30 burpees - 10 rounds

Wednesday: Back day
5 sets of 15 inverted rows (changing grip every 5 reps)
5 sets of 20 bent over back flyes with dumbbells (40 pounds)
5 sets of 5 landmine rows using towel grip (90 pounds)
5 sets of 15 dumbbell lat extensions (40 pounds)
5 sets of 15 lat pulldowns (100 pounds)
5 sets of 10 alternating plyometric pushups

Thursday: Leg Day
8 sets of 3 barbell squats (225 pounds)
5 sets of 3 angled leg presses (540 pounds)
5 sets of 15 box jumps

Plyo pushup demo (I hate these things):