Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #1301
Recycles dryer sheets

50 Miles bike today .. legs are a bit sore from yesterday's run.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #1302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was warm enough for a bike ride, but a stiff north wind convinced me otherwise.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #1303

Pushed 1/2" of snow/ice mix off the driveway and sidewalk. Not even worth firing up the snow thrower for. BTW, that thing is an upper body workout wrestling it around 180 turns but still easier than shoveling more than a couple of inches.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #1304
Recycles dryer sheets

Walked and jogged a few miles outside today. Pretty rare to have a string of 75 degree days in January in Colorado. Now I have major spring fever.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #1305
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent about 5 hours pushing the snowblower around and shoveling this afternoon. Much better than 30 minutes on the treadmill...
Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #1306
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Spent about 5 hours pushing the snowblower around and shoveling this afternoon. Much better than 30 minutes on the treadmill...
I can remember those days when I used to come in from shoveling and snow blowing soaked. Not from the precipitation, but from the sweat under my parka.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #1307
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a 57 mile road ride down PCH in Orange County with a couple of guys today. The Huntington Beach Marathon was going on so PCH was closed to vehicles but we were able to make it around the race and the 25,000 runners. Gorgeous day for the marathon. I have never run one before but if I did that one would be my first.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #1308
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 11k with DW in about 57 minutes...not shabby really.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #1309

Designed and ran my first group training session today. My group consisted of me, two personal trainers, a former NFL running back and a former D1 player. All of us are super fit people. It was my birthday, and the tradition is that on your birthday you have the toughest session of the year, so I tried to uphold that in my planning:

Leg Day (high volume):

Superset #1: 5x15 front squats at 135 pounds with 5x20 step ups with 40 pound dumbbells.

Superset #2: 5x15 wide-stance squats at 135 pounds with 5x20 leg presses at 360 pounds.

Finisher: 4X20 leg extensions at 100 pounds.

I had to hold the handrail on the way down the stairs when it was over.

Best compliment was the former D1 player who said, "I thought I was in good shape, I've worked out all my life, but I'm struggling here to hang with you'all."
Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #1310
Give me a forum ...

I dance-ercised with 1 lb hand barbells for 30 minutes in my living room after shoveling light snow for 10 minutes.
My legs, butt, and upper body are getting really toned now. The ballet petit and grand plie exercises, as well as Arabesque arm movements, are really paying off.

I was able to stand on 1 leg and do the full flamingo balance move (1 leg extended back at 90 degrees to the floor, torso as center of gravity with arms spread wide while standing on 1 leg) without wobbling. I did it from both sides effortlessly, i.e. perfect full body balance.

Can you do it ?

This feels great !
Old 02-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I was able to stand on 1 leg and do the full flamingo balance move (1 leg extended back at 90 degrees to the floor, torso as center of gravity with arms spread wide while standing on 1 leg) without wobbling. I did it from both sides effortlessly, i.e. perfect full body balance.

Can you do it ?

I actually can do this move! Thetr is nearly identical weightlifting movement with a single dumbbell, and I just learned it a couple of months ago - very challenging. Huh, I can a ballet move and didn't even know it.

If you can do this move with a weight in your hand I would say your core is in good shape. It's a challenging move.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #1312
Full time employment: Posting here.

Point your hands forward (opposite wall as the extended leg) and that posture is called Warrior III.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #1313

Heck I can do both the the plie's.

And the Flamingo/warrior moves, also while balancing on one square millimeter of steel in contact with the ice and skating 3/4 of the way around the rink. And do it backwards too. Lately I am working an the Attitude position. For guys that is tough, The hips are built different from the female of species.

By the way doing arm positions, loose the "hitch hiker's thumb". They kill the line.

In fact I'll be off to the rink in about a half hour.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #1314
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think Is99 wins 👏

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #1315
Recycles dryer sheets

I think he wins by simply admitting that he figure skates.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #1316
Give me a forum ...

Very cool guys

It took me a while to get to where I could keep my balance and not get a charly horse doing that. I'll try the warrior move next.

I used to be able to walk the balance beam back in high school gym class. Nothing spectacular done while on the beam. I've noticed my balance is a tiny bit off lately, so that is why I am doing the flamingo balance position.
I had to hang onto my stereo cabinet at first to do it, but now I can stand freely.

Progress!

I figure if I'm stuck in the house because of the cold, I may as well do something to improve my muscles. I checked with the local school of dance. All adult classes are evenings. So I'm creating my own at home using youtube videos as examples for routines. I play my own music or Soundscapes on the cable music channel.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #1317

Hiked/ climbed Camelback Mountain in Phoenix, Az. Only a 2.7 mile roundtrip, but with a rocky 1362' elevation change.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #1318

Sunday is leg day for me. I do a circuit type workout, squat, calf press, leg extension, leg curl, some core work and then finish the circuit by sprinting back and forth (2x) at the back of the gym. I do 3 circuits. What was special today is that I had a pretty 20 something and very fit young lady come up and high five me, saying those were some pretty awesome sprints you were doing.

Well, I never saw that coming, but it felt good
Old 02-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #1319
Administrator

I lifted a total of 16.9 tons on Friday. It felt SO good to get back to lifting a decent amount, after having had one winter cold after another for weeks and skipping numerous workouts which I don't normally do.

While working out I listened to some high energy zydeco music on my mp3 player. The energy is so contagious. Imagine working out to this:

It was great. I'm a little sore now but hopefully will be ready to do it again tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #1320
Recycles dryer sheets

our on the bike trainer in the basement. Will be glad when the weather improves and I can do longer rides on the road. 1 hour on the trainer is like 2 hours outside for me despite netflix.