Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Surfing. Forgot it was Saturday until I got to the parking lot. Almost got skegged by a guy who should've turned left... if he'd known how.

I eventually found a quiet spot and enjoyed the next couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I would get out the kayak but I am sick of water.
I'd hesitate to paddle through that mess of runoff. Leptospirosis would be the least of your medical challenges.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today, nada zip. Yesterday felled a mostly rotted at the base 70 foot tall tree, and cut it up.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a 5 mile walk around 5 pm when the temp was around 94 degrees with high humidity. Some people are a glutton for punishment.

That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm going to bring a bit of variation to my exercise routine next week. Whilst I enjoy jogging in the gym, outdoors and once a week in the pool (since I don't know how to swim), am starting my first swimming lesson next week. It would be fun to finally learn how to swim before I reach 52 years old in a few months!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
It would be fun to finally learn how to swim before I reach 52 years old in a few months!
Once you've learned to swim, you're ready to learn how to surf...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #126

Kinda did just the minimum at the fitness center yesterday as per instructions from the trainer. Did the bicycle for about ten minutes. I am surprised the left knee doesn't bother me at all while riding the bike. I know there is no pressure on it but still surprises me. Then I did the machine to strengthen the glutes. Can't figure out for the life of me why this area is so weak. Maybe it's just from sitting so much. Anyway I did 25 lbs. and 40 reps which is way more than I should have. Everything in moderation, right?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think this thread totally disproves the idea that retirees sit around most of the time at least as pertains to those who post here. So many have really ambitious programs, and stick too them too. I congratulate all of you!

I am still rowing along at least 10k/day. I also walk to do most of my errands. I find that getting out on the sidewalk, experiencing the weather, seeing the moon, seeing people go about their lives is a pick me up for me.

If I did not have any arthritis in my hip I might mostly walk long distances daily for my endurance exercise, because it is such an emotional pick-me-up. But I do have it so the rower fills in very well. Also I can dance moderate amounts (~2 hrs) even after I have rowed, while sometimes not so easy after a long walk. I would really like to row on the lake some days, like the guy with the Alden shell who posted in another thread, but I have no place to store it. Also I would have to do a wet launch, and many days the Lake would be too rough for pleasant or perhaps even safe rowing. I have never been in a coxless shell, traffic might be an issue, since you are facing away from where you are going. Perhaps to get out on the Lake a better solution for me would be one of those standup paddleboards, which I think I could store at my son's place, who lives between me and the Lake

Ha
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think this thread totally disproves the idea that retirees sit around most of the time at least as pertains to those who post here. So many have really ambitious programs, and stick too them too. I congratulate all of you!
Yes, we should all feel good about not relaxing in retirement!
Ha, sounds like you have found a great way to overcome some physical obstacles.

Yesterday all I did was a little gardening. Now I'm taking off to do a run up a trail called "Rough Go" to a small lake. The weather is very mild today so it will be a pleasure. Might even meet some trail friends or see a deer or two.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Did 21 miles on the rain bike, trying a different route on the dirt roads. Lot of work as the road surfaces stink. Only one turn back due to flooding. Head wind all the way back. But the sun shines!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

80 min spin class
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #131

Quote:

I am still rowing along at least 10k/day. I also walk to do most of my errands....Ha
Congrats to you as well!

Today was weights day, followed by a few hours of intense brush clearing and a swim in the lake.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Calisthenics.

I have to admit that this thread is a powerful incentive to work out. I feel a lot more accountable, and I enjoy being able to sit down at the keyboard afterwards (with a glass of water and 800 mg of ibuprofen) to log my workouts.

I managed to choke out more pushups today before spouse finished her treadmill set. Right now I'm just focusing on form, but in a couple months I'll be ramping up to 100 pushups/two minutes and 100 situps/two minutes. That's the criteria for qualifying for the black belt test. It is painful. It does not appear to get easier with experience.

Whether I really "need" to take the 3rd dan test is another issue. I was pretty maxed out at the 2nd dan test and the factors that made it so tough won't improve at the 3rd dan test. At my age perhaps I should be focusing more on controlling my hypercompetitive urges than on racking up another personal accomplishment. But damn I enjoy breaking a big stack of bricks with a well-placed strike.

I have another six months to think about it. Actually I have the rest of my life to think about it...

Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #133

Did 5 hours volunteer trail building yesterday including fighting briars and vines. 5 mile run today. Totaled 25 miles for the week, which is a recent record, in spite of higher temps. Although I usually get out early in morning.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #134

Quote:
I have never been in a coxless shell, traffic might be an issue, since you are facing away from where you are going. Perhaps to get out on the Lake a better solution for me would be one of those standup paddleboards,
Ha
Nah, just get a rear view mirror
Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Calisthenics.

I have to admit that this thread is a powerful incentive to work out. I feel a lot more accountable, and I enjoy being able to sit down at the keyboard afterwards (with a glass of water and 800 mg of ibuprofen) to log my workouts.

Hopefully it is an incentive to workout at the right level of your fitness. Some might read this stuff and decide to ramp up the workout. Ramping up is an art in itself so just a friendly reminder to others to take it slow.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Took the mutt on a 2 hour hike this morning at a local trail. I was dripping wet from the heat and humidity. My furry friend was too, only from all the dips he took in the lake to stay cool.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hopefully it is an incentive to workout at the right level of your fitness. Some might read this stuff and decide to ramp up the workout. Ramping up is an art in itself so just a friendly reminder to others to take it slow.
I've never been able to handle excessive moderation!

Seriously, though, I much prefer high-intensity workouts. If my vision's not sparkling at the end of a set, and if I still have spare lung capacity, and if I can hop right up off the floor for the next exercise, then I didn't try hard enough.

It's a critical taekwondo skill. Most opponents can handle two two-minute rounds. But in my age group if you're still coming at them in the second minute of the third round, they're usually out of gas. If you're only down by a couple points at that time, you're probably going to come from behind to win.

Besides, a 40-45 minute workout is about all my attention span can handle. If I had to use a treadmill or an elliptical for an hour I'd be bored to tears. When I'm doing endurance then I'd rather be surfing...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Nords, I'm sure you know your limits.

I'm thinking of others doing too much of a steep ramp up in exercise. Can sometimes (not always) lead to overuse injuries. Depending on the injury type this could then result in a long period of rest from the exercise -- not what one is shooting for.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #139
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've always been a 15-18 mile per week runner when I worked. I've been retired 1 month and find its hard to get in a decent distance or run because I sleep so late now and it's already too hot (80 and 70% humidity) after my cup of coffee. I got in 19 last week, but thats not happening with the forecast for this week. I always dreamed of upping the mileage to 30-35 when I retired...maybe this fall?
Still looking for that normal routine...how long did it take you to find a routine after ER?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols View Post
I've always been a 15-18 mile per week runner when I worked. I've been retired 1 month and find its hard to get in a decent distance or run because I sleep so late now and it's already too hot (80 and 70% humidity) after my cup of coffee. I got in 19 last week, but thats not happening with the forecast for this week. I always dreamed of upping the mileage to 30-35 when I retired...maybe this fall?
Still looking for that normal routine...how long did it take you to find a routine after ER?
Everyone is different but I'd give myself a lot more the 1 month.
A thought: maybe you don't want too much of a routine, just a little goes a long ways.

20 miles/week running is a pretty good goal and beats most people out there. There was an article recently that seemed to put this at the sweet spot for health. We don't want too much of a good thing.

BTW, I used to have a 15 mile/week goal too but have now upped it to 20. I like to run in upper 50 degree temperatures. The 60's start to feel like a slog but it's hard to avoid some summer days.