Join Early Retirement Today

What was Your Workout Today?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What was Your Workout Today?

Another thread for us share-aholics.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5K run on the roads at the homestead, and this one is smooth.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1338143196
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owls Butte.jpg (646.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
gone traveling

If this is limited to today only it was yard work, shrub trimming and rake up. If your interested in a more typical workout that I do for exercise, yesterday was leg day and here was my routine:

5 minutes on elliptical
3 x 10 free weight squats @ 185 lbs (used to squat on an Icarian squat machine, but the machine is gone so had to switch to free weights, and am starting pretty light)
3 x 10 leg extensions @ 190 lbs
3X5 dead lifts @ 275 lbs
3x10 prone leg curls @ 90 lbs
3x15 leg lifts for abs

I always enjoy leg day, and legs continue to be my best asset. Currently I work out 3x/week, but when I retire, will likely increase to 5X and include more cardio (maybe a C2 in my future) and hopefully better nutrition.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

I'm training for a Sprint Triathlon Sept 1. I did a "brick" today: cycled 7 miles followed by a 4 mile run. There's a very popular 10K run, one town away, on Memorial Day that I'll be running.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Started to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch. Alas, no butter nor margarine in the house. Must go to store.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

40 minutes on tread mill walking 3.3MPH

40 minutes in the gym doing various weights and stretches. 300 stomach crunches.

Same thing every day. Then I get to go home and eat too much.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

30 minutes (total) of pullups, leg lifts, lunges, squats, crunches, pushups. The faster I move, the more I get to do. Then I fill up the leftover 10-15 minutes with the elliptical while spouse finishes her situps/pushups.

Tomorrow? Dawn patrol. It's a holiday so we don't have taekwondo.

Among these home-gym exercises, taekwondo, and surfing it's usually no problem to fill in seven days a week with something active-- and then there's "vigorous yardwork". Chris "Younger Next Year" Crowley would be so proud.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

20 miles of cycling with friends. We start early to avoid the traffic and heat of the sun.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Running after my 3 and 6 year old grandsons. We went to five different places to run off energy over the last 2 days. Pushing swings, walking miles and lifting kids up and down is tiring. Back to more boring types of exercise tomorrow.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Really, not much of anything today. My gym days are MWF, and the gym is open tomorrow. Our lower priced gym memberships do not allow us to attend on Sundays or during the evenings.

My MWF workout routine begins with 5-10 minutes of stretches at the gym's stretching station.
Then I complete 2 sets of 10 reps on each of the following weight machines:

1. Keiser triceps pushdown
2. Keiser biaxial chest press
3. Keiser upper back machine
4. Keiser back extension machine
5. Nautilus compound row
6. Nautilus lateral pull down
7. Nautilus chest press
8. Nautilus abdominal machine
9. Nautilus arm curl
10. Nautilus triceps extension
11. Cybex leg extension
12. Cybex leg curl
13. Cybex calf rotator
14. Cybex hip abductor
15. Cybex hip adductor
16. Cybex abdominal machine
17. Cybex arm extension
18. Cybex fly
19. Cybex overhead press

Then I do just 5 minutes on the seated elliptical at a resistance of only 2, as a cool down. Not much. I would do more but usually F. has been done with his routine for 15-20 minutes or so by this time, so I just wrap things up and go.

I need to get back to riding my exercycle for a half hour on non-gym days, but right now I am a slacker.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

1. Keiser triceps pushdown
2. Keiser biaxial chest press
3. Keiser upper back machine
4. Keiser back extension machine
5. Nautilus compound row
6. Nautilus lateral pull down
7. Nautilus chest press
8. Nautilus abdominal machine
9. Nautilus arm curl
10. Nautilus triceps extension
11. Cybex leg extension
12. Cybex leg curl
13. Cybex calf rotator
14. Cybex hip abductor
15. Cybex hip adductor
16. Cybex abdominal machine
17. Cybex arm extension
18. Cybex fly
19. Cybex overhead press
Oh, man, I could never do all that on a regular basis. I just get bored too easily. Good for you.

This is my "big five" Bowflex routine:

BowflexSheet.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

25 mile bike ride
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I walked from my computer to the kitchen several times through out the day. I'm exhausted
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Oh, man, I could never do all that on a regular basis. I just get bored too easily. Good for you.

This is my "big five" Bowflex routine:

Attachment 14417
Bored? I guess this is one of those "different strokes for different folks" things. Actually the reason I do this is that I don't get bored with it. It's a very interesting routine to me because I jump from machine to machine, so I'm not just doing the same old machine for a long time and staring at the clock as in cardio.

With this many machines, I can increase the weight 5 pounds on one pretty frequently. That's like getting a gold star from the teacher - - makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. I can see progress! That is what motivates me.

I have been doing the same 19 machines for a couple of years by now. I just wish I could find an appealing 20th machine because 19 is such an odd number.

No matter what routine I do, boredom is always a possibility. Sometimes I cut back to about half the machines and add some cardio, for example when I was doing the C2 last summer, or earlier this spring when I was doing more of the seated elliptical. But when I do, I don't feel as good (strong, capable, younger, and so on) so I usually go back to the same 19 machines. Then I have to drop back on the weights on the machines I haven't been doing, and that isn't a happy feeling. That is what I am going through right now.

Your Bowflex routine looks great! I hope the "rods" column isn't equivalent to "pounds", or if it is then you are sure making a whole lot more progress than I am.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

So far only half an hour of Qigong exercise (comprising slow movements for controlling flow of energy through posture, movement, respitatory technique and medidtation). I may go for outdoor brisk walking/jogging or go to the gym to exercise on threadmill and weights for 1.5 hours later in the afternoon. Haven't decided which yet - depending on the weather.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #16

I went for a six mile walk this morning, then my partner and I rode our bikes to see an iMax movie (it was about Lewis and Clark) then toured through the natural diasters exhibit at the museum. Then we rode our bikes around until we found a good place to eat a late lunch, then we road home. I'm guessing it was about a 15 mile bike ride.

It was a fun day, we laughed a lot.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I got out of bed.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #18

12-oz curls.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #19

Just reading these posts wears me out. Don't know how some of you do all those exercizes. Seriously, I have to get on some kind of regular schedule. That is one reason we decided to splurge and joined our country club. I've lost all muscle tone in the last few years and everything tires me out, legs ache and playing 18 holes of golf about kills me. The next day I'm useless. Having just joined the club, I'm looking to see the guy that oversees the exercize room, state my problem and see what kind of routine he recommends. I know he's off this weekend.

We have a large swimming pool and spa outside. Inside there is a walking track on the second floor while on the first floor there are all kinds of eliptical machines, bikes, treadmills, weight machines, stretching racks, etc. Also, saunas, showers and personal massage areas (extra charge for this). I'll have to find out if the fitness manager would have a routine that would get me back in shape. Here's hoping.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #20

50K bike ride. Headwind on the outward leg, sweet, sweet, sweet tailwind on the way back.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote