Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What was really cool is that I am not (yet) sore at all from yesterday's overly vigorous workout on the weight machines. I know it's coming!
I think I get most sore 2-3 days after a workout. Right now I'm very sore from Thursday's surfing, and tomorrow I will be sore from that AND Friday's bowflex workout.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think I get most sore 2-3 days after a workout.
This may be apocryphal or at best anecdotal, but I've read that it's a slower recovery time.

It can be helped by a high-protein snack after exercising, and by stretching the next morning.

A couple doses of ibuprofen can help too.

Among my spouse and taekwondo and surfing, I have 5-6 daily workouts in a row. If I was sore for 2-3 days after each one then I'd be in a full-body cast by the end of the week.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Did the exact same workout today as I did on Friday (post #51), 15.9 tons again.

I finally did get sore from Friday's workout - - last night, believe it or not. Between that and way too much spicy food, I hardly slept and didn't really feel like working out at all today. So, I'm pleased as punch that I did it and didn't have to use lower weights. It was hot, hot, hot today, even in the gym, and everyone was complaining about it. Plan for the night is to continue to rehydrate.

I love that I can work out like this. I know that as we grow older, it may become more difficult. My theory is that if I keep doing it regularly, I'll still be lifting a decent amount in 10-20 years despite growing older. There's a guy at the gym who is still lifting substantial weights at 82. OK, just one guy, but it can be done. The other guys his age lift but maybe 1/3 as much weight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I get most sore 2-3 days after a workout. Right now I'm very sore from Thursday's surfing, and tomorrow I will be sore from that AND Friday's bowflex workout.
It's now four days since my surfing, and my shoulders are still very sore. But it was a difficult session (fighting the entire Pacific), and one of the first of the season.

Today it is raining, so I might have to use the rowing machine!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Did the exact same workout today as I did on Friday (post #51), 15.9 tons again.
You are almost there W2R! Keep up good work

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There's a guy at the gym who is still lifting substantial weights at 82. OK, just one guy, but it can be done. The other guys his age lift but maybe 1/3 as much weight.
My daughter sees her university's septuagenarian & octogenarian professors pumping serious iron all the time at her campus gym.

She thought it was pretty cool until I suggested that they were just hanging out there hoping to pick up hot chicks...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
My daughter sees her university's septuagenarian & octogenarian professors pumping serious iron all the time at her campus gym.

She thought it was pretty cool until I suggested that they were just hanging out there hoping to pick up hot chicks...
Gee Nord that just what us old lechers need guys like you spoiling our secrets.

My fitness instructor has been on an interval training kick after coming back from a American society of sports medicine conference. It is 3 to 4 sets of 20 seconds at super high intensity work with a 10 second break between sets and then a 2-3 minute rest period.

There was NY Times article posting a while ago on the benefits, and I can say it way tougher than a traditional 45 sec-1 minutes sets.

One of my classmate came up with a great acronym to describe our instructor's new enthusiasm. After Seminar Syndrome A.S.S.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
This may be apocryphal or at best anecdotal, but I've read that it's a slower recovery time.

It can be helped by a high-protein snack after exercising, and by stretching the next morning.

A couple doses of ibuprofen can help too.

Among my spouse and taekwondo and surfing, I have 5-6 daily workouts in a row. If I was sore for 2-3 days after each one then I'd be in a full-body cast by the end of the week.

Agree that DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) may be helped by consuming a protein shake right after working out, supposedly should be taken within 30 minutes of concluding workout. I do think it helps me, but who knows whether this is psychological bro science or fact. I have also heard mixing in some BCAAs in the post workout recovery shake helps as well. I lift pretty heavy for my age and don't really feel all that much soreness the next day or two.

As to us old geezers hoping to pickup hot chicks by pumping big iron
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday moved a few tons of rocks. The stream at my camp overflowed after some really heavy and long heavenly deluge. Replaced the washout with rocks from the other side.

Today some "hair of the dog", went to the Y for my usual Tuesday workout, and added some high speed punching exercises with 8 lb dumbbells.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

10K run this morning, along a route with a lot of rolling hills. First time it hasn't rained in days. Then rode my bike to work. Hope it doesn't start raining before I head home !
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Did my standard Bowflex, stretching, and planks today.

It's been a year since I eliminated crunches from my routines. There's certainly a lot of controversy, but since my daily crunches didn't prevent a back strain, and (according to some experts) may have contributed to it, I've gone to planks and side planks. I sure don't know what's right, but the planks really seem to make a difference in the feeling of strength in my core.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #72
gone traveling

I told my DW that I loved (and appreciated) her.

Did my heart good...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I told my DW that I loved (and appreciated) her.

Did my heart good...
Hopefully you don't consider that a workout
Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I joined a gym on friday and did my first(short)workout. I will have 1 free training session on monday then i'm on my own. I will plan to do a full body workout MWF. I also picked up some supplements to help with calories and protein so I can hopefully gain weight faster. My starting point is 157.5lbs and 7.5% body fat. At 6'6" I can gain 30 pounds and still be very thin so I have a long way to go. Wish me luck.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

45 minutes on the Arc Trainer and an hour with free weights.
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #76
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I also picked up some supplements to help with calories and protein so I can hopefully gain weight faster. My starting point is 157.5lbs and 7.5% body fat. At 6'6" I can gain 30 pounds and still be very thin so I have a long way to go. Wish me luck.
Good healthy food will do more for you than the supplements. You need to eat alot while your working out and the weight will come. What have you been eating?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for posting those videos, Al. I've just started focusing on firming up my trunk muscles. My lower body gets a lot of action with my cycling and trail hiking, but the waist up needs work. I absolutely *hate* crunches, so I'll give the planking a try.

Quote:
Did my standard Bowflex, stretching, and planks today.

It's been a year since I eliminated crunches from my routines. There's certainly a lot of controversy, but since my daily crunches didn't prevent a back strain, and (according to some experts) may have contributed to it, I've gone to planks and side planks. I sure don't know what's right, but the planks really seem to make a difference in the feeling of strength in my core.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Good healthy food will do more for you than the supplements. You need to eat alot while your working out and the weight will come. What have you been eating?
I just decided to do this and haven't gone shopping yet. Some items i've put on a list to buy are: whole milk,wheat bread,peanut butter, butter, nutella,potatoes,peas,tuna,nuts(not sure what kind),ice cream,eggs,olive oil.

Meat is too expensive for me to buy in large quantities but i'll get some. Yesterday was my first day keeping track of calories and protein. Even with 2 shakes that totaled 820 calories and 90grams of protein, I still only ended with 2715 calories and 157g protein which are both on the low end of my goals. I felt full all day and wouldn't get close without the shakes. By the way, those shakes are good quality and have very low suger. Some use suger as a filler to get the high calories. Suggestions?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

I really like this workout accountability log. When I'm on the computer in the morning, I realize that I have to get in a workout or I'll feel too guilty to post.

For the last three days, it's been alternating surfing with naps.

Today was the usual calisthenics & elliptical at home with spouse.

I can feel that my muscles are finally hardening up (no doubt due to the surfing) and I'm ready to move up a couple of weights and on the machine resistance.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another 10K this morning. Just about killed me as it was really hot (28 deg C) and it rained last night, so it was like running in a steam bath. Accidently took a two hour nap when I got home. Weighed in, down another 4 lbs. Awesome. Realize it was mostly dehydration but whatevs. Tastes like victory to me. Went on to cut the grass, sweep the driveway, vacuum the house and move furniture in the basement. Naps must give me stamina, lol.