Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #461

Walked with 2 friends about 3.5 miles through a very interesting / eclectic neighborhood, ending up at a local watering hole for drinks and snacks. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #462
Recycles dryer sheets

P90X - Back and Biceps in the morning.

Afternoon -

250yd swim - warmup

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.
followed by 200yd Kickboard (freestyle and breast stroke)
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #463
Recycles dryer sheets

250yd swim - warmup

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.
followed by 500yd Kickboard (freestyle and breast stroke)

followed by Shoulders and Arms Gym workout
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Loaded a bunch of scrap metal onto my pickup truck at my camp, hauled to scrap yard. It weighed 880 lb.

Good workout it was.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #465
Moderator Emeritus

I've been doing housepainting every other day for the last week.

I did the priming high work and most of the final coat a year ago after our familyroom renovation was finished, and then I started caulking indoor trim. Spouse took over some of the high work while I was caulking but then found other (lower) trim to paint. I only recently realized that she wasn't very interested in hopping back up on the ladder to finish the high work.

You wouldn't think that standing on a ladder and swinging a brush is hard physical labor, until you get off the ladder and try to walk with your arms at your sides. Too many of my hand's brush-swinging muscles are also my keyboard-typing muscles.

The "good" news is that I'm almost finished outside, and then I'll go hunting for the last few pieces of inside trim that haven't received their final coat of paint.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #466
Recycles dryer sheets

P90X - Legs and Back. First time in 9 months ... really struggled.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #467
Full time employment: Posting here.

I finished 90 days of P90X a couple weeks ago. I am now in week two on my second time through it. I really like this workout and only occasionally skip a day. When I started there were many exercises I struggled with. I had to hit the pause button quite a bit. I now only have to break the workout in half hitting the pause button and taking a break during Plyometrics. I usually do break the Yoga in half doing part in the morning and the rest in the afternoon because it is a bit boring. There are still a few Yoga poses that I cannot do. As many of you know P90X is a program alternating days of resistance (weight) training with days of Plyometric (jump training), Kenpo (martial arts) or Yoga. One day of the week is rest or easy stretching. My results have been amazing. I started in august at 159 pounds and guestimated 25% body fat. My waist was 33 inches. I could only do 35 pushups and three chinups. I now weigh 146 with body fat at 17%. I can now do 70 pushups and 14 chinups. My waist is down from 33 to 30 inches. I even had to buy new Levis. My goals for this time through the program are body fat of 12% and ability to do 20 chinups and 100 pushups. I would also like to be able to do all of the Plyometrics at high intensity without taking a break. The unexpected benefit of this program is that the Yoga and stretching have made me MUCH more flexible.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #468
Recycles dryer sheets

250yd swim - warmup

followed by 7x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.
followed by 1000yd Kickboard (freestyle and breast stroke)

followed by 30 min - Odds and Ends stuff around the gym.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #469
Recycles dryer sheets

I teach 6 yoga classes a week on a regular basis. On some week, I also teach a a yoga workshop so a total of 6 to 10 hours of yoga each week, plus 1 mile walk each day with my dogs.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #470
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave blood yesterday. Light workout today

250yd swim - warmup

followed by 6x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.
followed by 600yd Kickboard (freestyle and breast stroke)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #471
Recycles dryer sheets

250yd swim - warmup

followed by 6x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.
followed by 2000yd Kickboard (freestyle and breast stroke)

In the afternoon, P90X - Legs and Back
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #472
Moderator Emeritus

I went surfing today in my new long-sleeve high-neck 2mm neoprene rashguard. The water's usually pretty chilly during dawn patrol, but it was quite nice this time. Having an out-of-season south shore swell was just an unexpected bonus.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #473
Recycles dryer sheets

Starting training for a half ironman... did a brick today 20 miles on the bike followed immediately by a 4 mile run... Any triathletes out there? No swimming for the next 3 weeks so will do weights on alternate days.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #474
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Any triathletes out there?
My daughter's been hanging out with them, and she's starting to get sucked into the lifestyle.

It's like watching someone learn a foreign language and then having them practice it on you.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #475
Give me a forum ...

I got an ass-kicking today. 6 hours hiking in the back country (mostly between 8,000 and 9,000 feet of elevation) with a 20 pound pack, 7 pound rifle, sidearm and heavy winter clothing. I was going to try again tomorrow, but the high will be single digits in a snowstorm and frankly I don't think I can do two days of this in a row. Try again on monday.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
My daughter's been hanging out with them, and she's starting to get sucked into the lifestyle.

It's like watching someone learn a foreign language and then having them practice it on you.
A frend and former coworker has taken triathlons up. She is the thinnest and fittest I have ever seen her. I don't know how people do this stuff, especially over 40.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #477
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
Starting training for a half ironman... did a brick today 20 miles on the bike followed immediately by a 4 mile run... Any triathletes out there? No swimming for the next 3 weeks so will do weights on alternate days.
Good luck on the half ironman. I'm thinking about doing one. I did a sprint triathlon last year, but it seemed like too much of a sprint. I think a half ironman would be just about right. A full ironman is a little too much.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #478
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
A frend and former coworker has taken triathlons up. She is the thinnest and fittest I have ever seen her. I don't know how people do this stuff, especially over 40.
Good genes, especially in the knee cartilage?

One of my in-laws was mentioned in this article on women who deliberately avoid running for fitness:
Beth Swanson-Arnold - 20 Super-Fit Chicks Who Don't Run - Shape Magazine

Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #479
Recycles dryer sheets

Four mile run this morning done.. Will do cal's and full body lifting workout this afternoon. Brewer.. What do you do hiking in elevations with all that equipment? Are you hunting? Ronstar.. I did a couple of sprints and I will do them to practice raceing but I saw the Ironman championship while I was in Hawaii a couple of years ago and found out they run a half Ironman in the same area on the island. I love Kohala and they run one in June over a part of the championship course. I haven't decided yet if I will do it in 2013 or 2014. I know I will be able to make the distance by June but I would perfer to really race it and really enjoy the course.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #480
Moderator Emeritus

The Hawaii tri looks like a great course and can be tied into a vacation. But it could be a little warm for me. I'm looking for one with little slope, cool - maybe in late summer or early fall - maybe Madison Wi or Louisville. Probably 2014. I'll need at least a year of swimming under my belt first.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote