What was Your Workout Today?

I've never actually seen one of her videos, but I know she is a workout junky and based on her recent appearance at the awards, especially given her age, she must be doing something right:cool:

Yes, she looks good. The hubbies liked watching the original video for the guy eye candy like her pelvic thrusts, probably really bad for the lower back, as was the contorted sit-up featured on the cover http://harleysoccermom.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/jane_fonda_workout.jpg

I couldn't believe how cheap these DVD exercise videos are! For a grand total of $43, I ordered these from Amazon:

Jane Fonda: Prime Time Walkout
Leslie Sansone: Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection
The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Weight Loss Yoga
Yoga for the Rest of Us with Peggy Cappy
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

These should provide me with a variety of fun things to try in order to keep moving when the mood strikes. The Jane Fonda video was the cheapest at $5.43, so even though I had my doubts, how could I lose? :D

Now, if only BUYING them meant that I would actually DO them frequently, I'd be set. :rolleyes: We'll see.

There are more intense (and more expensive) videos out there, like P90X and Insanity, but I am not looking to knock myself out like that.

Last edited:
Another hour on the stationary bike - am getting my heart rate in the aerobic zone (110-125) about 40 minutes of that time. Hope to get my HDL levels up this year. Working the upper body with some loose weights. Walked for 30 min at lunch three times last week at work.

That's terrific, Freebird! I'll bet that is as many stairs as climbing from the ground floor clear to the top floor of a big highrise building. :dance:

I just read that there are 1860 steps from the ground floor to the observation deck on the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building. So, you are more than 2/5th of the way up! Pretty cool.

I like the Empire State Building analogy. I climbed that on a school field trip when I was a teenager. :dance:

I am not very good with exercise machines, mostly because of boredom and a slight lack of self-discipline :LOL:, but this is a good fit for me. I bought it years ago and use it periodically. Paired with 2 x-country ski poles for balance, it is a good w*rkout for my middle and lower body. Once I get conditioned and can go longer, I will get a pretty decent aerobic session.

I measured my middle section pudge before I started the stepper routine so I can track progress. ;) I hold in my stomach while I do the stepping so that the muscles get maximum benefit and I maintain good posture.

If I get bored with the Weather Channel, I can always pop in my Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn cartoon DVD. Or one of my classic Disney movies. I also have streaming Netflix service, so I have access to comedy shows and all sorts of cartoons. Gotta keep it FUN or I will not stick with it.

Attachments

• kettlerstepper.jpg
    kettlerstepper.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

I like the Empire State Building analogy. I climbed that on a school field trip when I was a teenager. :dance:

Wow!!! That is pretty impressive.

I am not very good with exercise machines, mostly because of boredom [...] If I get bored with the Weather Channel, I can always pop in my Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn cartoon DVD. Or one of my classic Disney movies. I also have streaming Netflix service, so I have access to comedy shows and all sorts of cartoons. Gotta keep it FUN or I will not stick with it.

I just read the neatest thing about activity on the American Heart Association website, and it addresses the boredom issues: here.
American Heart Association said:
Make it fun!
•Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting. Add variety. Develop a repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy. That way, exercise will never seem boring or routine.
•Ask family and friends to join you — you'll be more likely to stick with it if you have company. Or join an exercise group, health club or the YMCA. Many churches and senior centers offer exercise programs too. (Remember to get your doctor's permission first.)
•Use variety to keep your interest up. Walk one day, swim the next, then go for a bike ride on the weekend.
•Use music to keep you entertained.

I loved finding that quote, because I am having a tough time settling on one sort of cardio activity that I like. I love weight lifting, but when trying to also incorporate some cardio, well, I seem to be flitting from one cardio activity to another. But since the AHA says it's OK to do that, then I guess it's OK. :D

Yesterday I rode my stationary bike for 30 minutes, 6.2 miles. My walking regimen? Gone for now. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

Today, I spent 40 minutes lifting a total of 16.7 tons on the weightlifting machines at the gym.

Last edited:
Yesterday breakfast was drink with protein powder, banana, Greek yogurt, and almond butter, no lunch but early dinner with chicken breast (boneless and skinless) and boiled potato, then dried apricot snack at night. Today tea this morning then 5 miles on the eliptical and a few upper body exercises. Came home and weighed myself. Gained 2 pounds since yesterday. :banghead: This happens all too often.

Cheers!

Wow!!! That is pretty impressive.
It took hours, but we all did it. I think it was 7th grade, maybe 8th.

I've climbed this one too.
Pilgrim Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was a bit of a tomboy as a kid. I was in fabulous physical shape from playing basketball and softball with my brothers and their friends, plus tennis, riding my bicycle everywhere, ice skating every Friday night and on a pond near my house, cleaning houses, soccer in gym, running track for 2 years in HS (miler and 3rd leg on 440 relay), w*rking for NYS in food service in a huge dining hall, swimming in local watering holes and the Hudson River, etc etc. I played wicked racquetball (a lefty who kept that fact to herself >:D ) as an adult, as well as volleyball, golf and tennis. Always on the move. :dance:

Post bilateral carpal tunnel, DeQuervain's, tendinitis and upper body RSI, I can no longer play raquetball, tennis, softball, golf, etc etc. Gymnasium exercise machines trigger the RSI, even with light weights. So I do what I am able to and try not to be frustrated with the permanent partial disability (rated 10% per hand by OWCP).

Last edited:
I really need to take a day off but my hiking boots are calling my name. Plus it's snowing and I AM a winter type of gal. Now if the plumber would just get here to replace one of the toliets I might have enough time to head out the door for a few miles. Otherwise I guess it's going to be the Airdyne and some free weights.

Yesterday breakfast was drink with protein powder, banana, Greek yogurt, and almond butter, no lunch but early dinner with chicken breast (boneless and skinless) and boiled potato, then dried apricot snack at night. Today tea this morning then 5 miles on the eliptical and a few upper body exercises. Came home and weighed myself. Gained 2 pounds since yesterday. :banghead: This happens all too often.

Cheers!

Just remember, if you are lifting weights it entirely possible to slim down and gain weight at the same time. The good news is the weight gain may be attributed to adding lean muscle. Just look in the mirror and use that as your guide and forget about the scale.

Biked 56 Miles and Ran 3 miles today ... Starting to ramp up the program a bit .. I have now lost 85 pounds in 9 months. I have 10 pounds more to go and I will have met my weight goal. Talked to a triathalon coach last week and he suggested some longer distances and adding in weights to the program .. Tomorrow is Swim 2 miles and lift .. Somehow that seems like it will be much easier than today.

Walked 3 miles today which was the best I could do with the temp at 4 below. My husband asked me if I was nuts. So did one of my sisters.

Just remember, if you are lifting weights it entirely possible to slim down and gain weight at the same time. The good news is the weight gain may be attributed to adding lean muscle. Just look in the mirror and use that as your guide and forget about the scale.

I think my mirror lies too just like the scale but I'll keep on keepin on. I'm going to see if I can follow a program similar to the Jeff Galloway program for half marathon and marathon training but make it for the eliptical machine.

I made 10 miles this morning. This is the farthest I've "run" to date. It took 2.5 hours since I kept my heart rate at what I was told a fat burning rate. Now I have to back off to 3-4 miles every other day for the next 2 weeks sprinkled with other play inbetween before I try for 12. Adding 2 miles to the longest run every other week with short miles every other day is ( I think)close to the recommended pattern.

Cheers!

Spent the better part of 2 hrs on the ice avoiding several miniature hockey player wannabes emulating brownian motion.

Heisenberg was right, and the theory applies to kids with hockey skates.

A bad day skating is better no skating at all.

Last night I rode my stationary bike for 30 minutes, 6.6 miles using one of the programs intended to simulate a hilly route.

Today I lifted 17.0 tons at the gym. That was an increase in weights so I feel tired ( in a good way) and a little drained. And then, I got home to these five new exercise DVD's. >:D

Maybe after American Idol? :)

Last edited:
Spent the better part of 2 hrs on the ice avoiding several miniature hockey player wannabes emulating brownian motion.

Heisenberg was right, and the theory applies to kids with hockey skates.

A bad day skating is better no skating at all.

:LOL:
Sounds uncertain.

Biked 56 Miles and Ran 3 miles today ... Starting to ramp up the program a bit .. I have now lost 85 pounds in 9 months. I have 10 pounds more to go and I will have met my weight goal. Talked to a triathalon coach last week and he suggested some longer distances and adding in weights to the program .. Tomorrow is Swim 2 miles and lift .. Somehow that seems like it will be much easier than today.

XYZ, I'm curious as to the other effects that losing 89 pounds have had on you. How have your BP, RHR, blood glucose, cholesterol (and combination of LDL/HDL and triglycerides) evolved? How about overall energy to attack each new day? Other issues like arthritis? Just curious. I could stand to lose a lot of weight but I think taking off 89 pounds would be too much for me, but a good solid 50-60 pounds weight loss would do me some good. I know you are exercising a lot, but what kind of diet regimen are you following to assist in the weight loss?

Thx, R

XYZ, I'm curious as to the other effects that losing 89 pounds have had on you. How have your BP, RHR, blood glucose, cholesterol (and combination of LDL/HDL and triglycerides) evolved? How about overall energy to attack each new day? Other issues like arthritis? Just curious. I could stand to lose a lot of weight but I think taking off 89 pounds would be too much for me, but a good solid 50-60 pounds weight loss would do me some good. I know you are exercising a lot, but what kind of diet regimen are you following to assist in the weight loss?

It's a long story but I will try to answer your questions. It was the blood glucose which scared me straight. I had a Dr. Appointment last year in June and it showed my glucose was going up and that was the big wake up call. My Blood pressure was already high and I was taking medicine for that and cholesterol could have been better. The first thing I did was stop all alcohol consumption, I would drink wine at night and it weakened my self-control with what I was eating. As far as diet was concerned I was eating good food just too much of it, so my first step was to eat only 1 plate of food at dinner and no in-between meal snacks. Eventually we got smaller plates and the portions improved even more. I also started walking every day for 30 – 60 minutes. I walked for about 3 months and eventually the walking evolved into running. Believe me, this was not easy but it worked. If I did not feel up to running I walked but I always did something every day. I also started doing short bike rides 5 to 15 miles on some days. In October (4 months later) I had lost about 45 – 50 pounds and was tested again with the Doctor. Needless to say he was very pleased and all the numbers were excellent, we even dropped the BP medicine. I took the month of November off (one month before retirement) and really started to ramp up the bicycle rides (up to 50 miles) and added swimming into the mix. When I finally retired in late December then I really picked up the pace. I swim about 2 miles a day 4 -5 days a week Bike is now up to 56 miles every 3 days and I run 4 days a week between 3 and 7 miles a day. I am trying to include lifting and calisthenics in the daily routine starting this week to really round out my program.
How do I feel? I am down 85 pounds I feel like a teenager again! My waist has dropped 10 inches from a 42 to a 32. I am very lucky not to have any physical problems and have the ability to exercise like I do. I actually feel bad that I had let myself go with no real good reason. The energy level is unbelievable, On Tuesday I ran 3 and biked 56 then on Wednesday after swimming 2 and lifting I was itching to do more… Today I ran 7 followed by a 2 mile swim. I have been able to ease up on the diet a bit (even had a couple of beers last week) due to all the exercise but it was very important to lose the weight so I could actually exercise like I am doing. A couple of other helpful things that actually came as suggestions from the forum here.. First read “Younger Next Year” it really helped getting me motivated. The second was I joined MyFitnessPal.com (it’s free and has a great calorie counter and logging feature) It really helps to know that if you are working off more calories than you are eating… Good luck on your journey, It’s great that you now have the time to do this, take your time and you will see results.

it was very important to lose the weight so I could actually exercise like I am doing.
As the saying goes, "Before you can exercise to get fit, you have to get fit enough to exercise".

Sounds like you're doing great...very impressive!

Back
Top Bottom