What was Your Workout Today?

Yesterday: 5k run plus about a mile walk to cool down in the morning, then a 2 mile stroll in the evening. This morning my knee was bothering me a bit, so DW and I went for another 2 mile stroll instead of trying to run. Tomorrow we fly back to the mainland, but I'm hoping the knee cooperates and lets me get one last tropical 5k before heading home.

R

Swam 1 mile Ran 7 miles and Biked 50 today.. Life is good !

A 40-minute brisk walk by the sea promenade. Feeling lazy today.

Since I'm a man of leisure now, plan to start a new workout routine next week. Have been doing a 3 day split, chest/back, shoulders/arms, and legs. Will change it up to two heavy days, upper, then lower, followed by an aerobic/hit day, and then two high volume days, upper, then lower at lighter weights. I am hoping to cut about 10+ lbs and not lose muscle or strength.

Previously, I limited my cardio to a 5 minute warm-up on an elliptical. Today did 30 minutes on treadmill, alternating between fast walk/jog/21 degree incline walk + 3x15 25 lb medicine ball slams and 3 rounds on the heavy bag. I was drenched, but felt great. This afternoon, need to prune the backyard shrubs:nonono:

That was a great workout, DFW_M5! One of the best things about retirement is having plenty of time to work out.

I am still taking it easy due to throwing my back out on the 19th. It doesn't hurt any more, but my instincts are to baby it a little for now. I cut back on my weights a lot and it seems prudent to increase them slowly. So many machines use the back. Anyway, Monday I lifted 15.3 tons, which is less than before but more than I could do a week ago. :LOL: Going to lift weights again later this afternoon. Edited to add: 16.7 tons this afternoon.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to use my ministepper for a week now (injured big toe). I really miss doing it. :(
I have compensated by doing leg lift exercises while seated or lying down. :D

25 mile bike ride today followed by a 3 mile run and 2 miles in the pool... I have lost a total of 90 pounds now and I am 3 pounds short of my goal weight. Early Retirement is the best thing I could have done for my health! Having the extra time to exercise has been fantastic !

Played my first game of Sr Softball yesterday morning, and pulled my hamstring pretty severely on my third hit of the day running to 1st base. I always wondered why so many Pro athletes are injuring their hammies given all the conditioning that they do, and then are out of action for quite a while afterwards. Now I know. I'm no pro athlete, but given all my gym work, my legs are probably my greatest strength, so I certainly did not contemplate this happening, but I suppose the cold temps and wind chill yesterday in North Texas were contributing factors, plus perhaps insufficient warmup/stretching. It hurts like hell and I can barely bend over to put my socks on. Have been using the RICE approach + Aleve and may go to the gym this afternoon and get on their vibrating machine which is good for blood flow and may try some foam rolling. Anyone have any other secretes for recovering from a hamstring pull (at least I hope its only a pull and not a tear)?

This certainly is not the way for one to start their first week of retirement:facepalm:

How crummy, DFW_M5! The RICE approach is what first came to mind (especially lots of rest and ice) and that should help. When you are at the gym, you might be able to find some machines that don't use the legs. Here's one that they have at my gym:

Thanks, I'll have to concentrate on upper body, at least, exercises that don't use much leg involvement, and maybe some walking on treadmill or perhaps some low tension cycling. Hope my legs don't atrophy too much.

The sooner they get better, the sooner you can get back to your usual exercise routine. So, good luck with RICE and take it easy when you can! I detest injuries and recovering from their negative effects on my weight lifting.

Speaking of which, today I lifted 16.7 tons again. In a month or so I should be back to where I was with the weights before throwing my back out. I am happy about that. :D Even better, my back seems to be back to normal and does not hurt at all. It was a strenuous workout for me this time, so I am glad that I do not plan to lift again until Monday.

I don't recall if I mentioned it, but I'm enjoying my new Polar heart rate monitor, bought based on prior experience with the brand and recommendations right here (I think) in this thread.

I don't recall if I mentioned it, but I'm enjoying my new Polar heart rate monitor, bought based on prior experience with the brand and recommendations right here (I think) in this thread.

That's great! I like mine, too. It is very motivating. :)

Lifted 16.7 tons Monday, and 16.8 tons yesterday. Today I went for a nice air conditioned bike ride (on my exercycle). :D

That's great! I like mine, too. It is very motivating. :)

Lifted 16.7 tons Monday, and 16.8 tons yesterday. Today I went for a nice air conditioned bike ride (on my exercycle). :D

Ha! Yeah, I knew it was you, I even got the FT7, but in a "manly" color.

That 16 tons bit cracks me up - I get stuck on Tennessee Ernie Ford. :D

Ha! Yeah, I knew it was you, I even got the FT7, but in a "manly" color.

That 16 tons bit cracks me up - I get stuck on Tennessee Ernie Ford. :D

Me, too! :LOL: But really it's the only way I can think of to measure what I did on the weight machines, other than to just say 45 minutes. I have seen some people spending 45 minutes at the gym, without lifting much at all, so that just doesn't say much to me.

Me, too! :LOL: But really it's the only way I can think of to measure what I did on the weight machines, other than to just say 45 minutes. I have seen some people spending 45 minutes at the gym, without lifting much at all, so that just doesn't say much to me.

I hear you. You are a victim of song!

I guess when I am done, if I don't even want to meet myself ("oooh, that disgusting sweaty guy!"), it's a good day. :)

Biggest workout this year. 45 min spin then an hour swim fit that ended in 800 meters of IM. That's 8 lengths of butterfly! That's huge for me! I'm digging ER!!

After a winter hiatus, started back on the stairs this week.....today 80 repeats, (80 x 59 = 4720 steps).......(then went to the mall and did 80 repeats on the escalator.....nowhere near as demanding. ;) )

Will hit the elliptical in an hour or so.

Nemo, it is amazing to me that you can climb so many stairs when just starting after a winter's hiatus! Such an impressive workout. :)

I lifted 16.8 tons again yesterday, and I am tired today. I plan to either ride on my exercycle or else do a little Wii Fit later on this afternoon.

Nemo, it is amazing to me that you can climb so many stairs when just starting after a winter's hiatus!
Prior to starting back, I have/had been working on the elliptical, (aiming for 70 minutes a day, in two sessions, but not always hitting the target)..........started wearing a tensor bandage on the right knee, (ran a marathon with them on both knees, 29 years ago); now with the stairs back in the picture..back to one ~ 35 minute session a day.

Prior to starting back, I have/had been working on the elliptical, (aiming for 70 minutes a day, in two sessions, but not always hitting the target)..........started wearing a tensor bandage on the right knee, (ran a marathon with them on both knees, 29 years ago); now with the stairs back in the picture..back to one ~ 35 minute session a day.

Nemo,

You might want to consider a part time job as a light house keeper. Just think, your own private staircase and you get paid for it too:D

Back
Top Bottom