Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #941
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Yesterday's workout...

Spirited, fat-burning hike out of the Grand Canyon in 4 hours and 5 minutes. 7.5 miles and 4500 vertical feet with a 20 pound back pack.

Only did the hike out as this was part of a fantastic 3-day white water rafting trip with Grand Canyon White Water rafting co.
Great hike!

Hike out of the Grand Canyon is one of the toughest workouts I ever had. And we only went from the rim to plateau point and back to the rim. it was fantastic.

I plan on amping up my hiking now that I quit running again due to injuries. But I have been lifting weights 6 days a week.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #942

75 45# kettlebell swings and 12 20# turkish get ups. I work out so when the time comes for grand canyon hikes, I'll be able to do 'em!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #943
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I bought some wireless RF earphones to wear at home while watching the TV on my stationary bike. Tuning out the rest of the world makes it lots more fun, and the sound is better.
I like riding my bike, using a single earphone, usually listening to NPR. One earphone, because ya don't wanna miss what's going on around you. Problem is, the earphone wire... a nuisance. so why not a bluetooth earphone? Seems to me that would b a natural, not just for bikers, but for anyone who either works or plays in a non demanding or rote situation/job.
A dongle for a radio or MP3 player... to make a single earphone viable. A radio or MP3 Player transmitter... not a Phone.

Ha!... except for a few cheapies, this doesn't appear to exist.

A radio or MP3 Player transmitter... not a Phone.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #944
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Two hours of figure skating.
This is the best workout, at least in my thoughts, with images of swooping and spinning on the ice.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #945
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

12 mile bike ride on a hot humid day.....second day in row. First six is generally uphill, cruise home. Try to do it as often as weather and my dad duties allow.

20 years ago it would have been a 12 mile training run to keep in shape for marathons. But a knee with too many years and miles, plus chronic Achilles tendonitis, it's mostly biking now a days.

I don't count the half hour walking the dog in the morning and again in the evening as part of the daily workout, more of a chore that needs to get done and try to get one of the boys to do it as often as I can.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #946
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Two hours of figure skating.
How long have you been skating? I used to skate.
ohfrugalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #947
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfrugalone View Post
How long have you been skating? I used to skate.
Started three years ago.

First 4 months spent mostly falling down. Last two years have been mostly enjoyable, Ar times I overdo it and my muscles and tendons remind me I am past 60.

I have been told by several instructors that I am graceful, they keep trying to get me to do shows. Even though I have never taken a lesson, What I do is modified many Ju-Jutsu forms and katas to work on ice skates. Can't get any volunteers in full hockey gear to take falls Thus it is mostly shadow fighting.

I do decline always. Explain that I am just playing. Prepping for a show is a dirty four letter word. W*rk!

Re: Bestwife's comment. It is a full body involvement, all muscles are constantly in play for balance especially during curves and spirals. Proper pushing technique adds to the leg muscle loads. I don't do jumps. Maybe when I am 70 I'll try the simpler ones, like the Waltz jump, Can't rush these things
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #948
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This is the best workout, at least in my thoughts, with images of swooping and spinning on the ice.
Or, in my case, images of me busting my assets...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #949
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Or, in my case, images of me busting my assets...
Me too--but at least they would be diminishing assets thanks to all the calories we would be burning up!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #950
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Me too--but at least they would be diminishing assets thanks to all the calories we would be burning up!
Ok, you have the idea. Now go for it

Actually, skating does give you nice assets, and legs.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #951

An ice rink sounds like the place to be during the hot season. I never learned to rollerskate so am quite sure that I would be a menace to myself and others for a good long while.
Although I do hear a skate can be pretty handy to a novice if stranded on a tropical island.
For now I will be satisfied with the 5+ mile steep, rocky, dusty trail run available right out my back door. Just did about 6 miles. Did not see another soul. My kind of run.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #952
Full time employment: Posting here.

30 miles on the bike, then 100 pushups and 50 chin-ups.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #953
gone traveling

This is like preaching to the choir, but thought you'd get a kick out this one:

eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #954
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This is like preaching to the choir, but thought you'd get a kick out this one:
I love it! My mother worked out until her mid 90's (passed away just short of 98) and I hope I am working out if/when I reach 102 also.

I have resumed going to the gym, but with seriously gentle/reduced workouts until I see my doctor again next week for another followup after my fall. He still isn't letting me drive, and I forgot to ask him about working out. Anyway, when he gives me the green light, I'll have plenty of time to ramp things back up at the gym. Yesterday I used 16 of my 20 weight machines, and only lifted a total of 55% of what I was lifting before my fall. Still, it feels good to just move a little like that and I will retain the muscle memory.

They moved all the weight machines around and not one of them is in the same place, or near any machine it was near before. Apparently they got a consultant who persuaded someone that this is a good idea. What an amazingly thorough shuffle. Plus, they added about 10 new ones. So, the cardio part of my workout is just walking around looking like this:
~~~>> <<~~~
and trying to figure out where everything is.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #955
gone traveling

W2R,

During our recent home move and loss of internet connectivity for a few weeks, I didn't know you had a fall. Hoping for your speedy recovery back to 100% and glad to hear you are taking things slow in the gym. Also, I can empathize with confusion when the gym moves things around, messes me up when they move only a few pieces of equipment, let alone a major reconfig like your gym did.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #956
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
W2R,

During our recent home move and loss of internet connectivity for a few weeks, I didn't know you had a fall. Hoping for your speedy recovery back to 100% and glad to hear you are taking things slow in the gym. Also, I can empathize with confusion when the gym moves things around, messes me up when they move only a few pieces of equipment, let alone a major reconfig like your gym did.
Thanks! Glad to see you back on the internet, and hope you are settling in nicely after your home move.

Just to fill you in, about a week and a half ago I had completed my workout and was standing around talking to another woman at the gym, telling her how great I felt. Suddenly I began to feel faint, fainted, and fell and hit my head, knocking myself unconscious briefly.

I saw my doctor, and he said I am healthy but did a CAT-scan of my brain just to make sure everything is OK in there. I will get the results of that when I see him again next Wednesday.

Meanwhile, after perusing the internet I think I finally figured out why I fainted. I didn't do a cool down! I read this online and it just rings true to me:
Quote:
Why do healthy people faint after exercising? The answer to this question is actually very interesting. When people are involved in high intensity exercise over at least several minutes, they require a LOT of blood flow to the working muscles. So the blood vessels in our muscles, especially the legs, dilate to accommodate all this increased blood. Now, our body depends on contraction of our leg muscles to push blood from the legs back up to the heart. During intense exercise our ability to maintain adequate blood pressure depends on this pumping of blood back to our heart by our legs. If you suddenly stop running, the blood return from your legs to your heart suddenly drops and so you don't have enough blood to pump to your brain--plop, down you go.
So, lesson learned - - I will always do a cool down from now on.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #957

Muscle endurance work today:

7 minutes of 8 deadlifts at 185 pounds supersetted with 12 dumbbell thrusters at 30 pounds.

3 minute rest

15 minutes to complete:
1000 meter row and 20 burpees
750 meter row and 15 burpees
500 meter row and 10 burpees
250 meter row and 5 burpees

Made it to the 10 burpees when time ran out.

20 minutes - 542 calories burned
Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #958
Moderator Emeritus

Did my usual weight lifting routine (2 sets of 10 lifts on each of 20 weight lifting machines), except that I still can't find two of the 20 machines that I usually use! This is due to the reorganization at my gym.

I think they got rid of the Cybex abdominal machine (couldn't find it anywhere), but they got two more of the (much better) Nautilus abdominal machines. Both Cybex and Nautilus abdominal machines were in my workout before, so I guess I'll have to do 4 sets of 10 on the Nautilus machine now. Also, I used the Cybex fly machine and can't find it so I'll switch to the Nautilus fly machine.

Anyway, I lifted a total of 13 tons on the 18 machines I was able to find. I used to lift 17 tons before my fall, but I am taking it easy this week as I recover. I am feeling much, much better, though and it felt great to get back to lifting.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #959
Recycles dryer sheets

Been working hard.. 30 minutes calisthenics daily 30 minutes strength training daily.. In addition to this, the past 2 days .. Yesterday ran 14 miles today Bike 45 miles Swim 1.2 .. Meeting with a triathlon coach Wednesday to develop a program because I registered to compete in a half ironman competition in May on the big island of Hawaii!!!
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #960
Recycles dryer sheets

Good on ya! I really want to do another half and Hawaii is awesome!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote