Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #1001
Moderator Emeritus

Our gym has re-opened this week, so we are working out there again after being away for a week and a half. After a watered down workout on Monday, I didn't feel sore. So, today I let out all the stops and lifted 17.8 tons on the weight lifting machines (the ones I listed here). That was about the same as my regular routine before the gym closure.

Then I rode on the seated elliptical for 15 minutes at level 5. I feel great right now but expect considerable DOMS in a day or two from the weightlifting. I will probably spend a little time on my Concept2 this evening, since I am not sore yet....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #1002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Our challenge hike today was from the seashore up 180 meters the "mountain" at Conchas Chinas. There we had breakfast at a view hotel as a reward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000034.jpg (456.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1000033.jpg (447.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1000030.jpg (365.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #1003
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Our challenge hike today was from the seashore up 180 meters the "mountain" at Conchas Chinas. There we had breakfast at a view hotel as a reward.
My kind of exercise!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #1004
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I feel great right now but expect considerable DOMS in a day or two from the weightlifting. I will probably spend a little time on my Concept2 this evening, since I am not sore yet....
Just remember, DOMS is a good thing. Means your building muscle
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #1005
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just remember, DOMS is a good thing. Means your building muscle
So far, so good; not much DOMS at all today, yet. But sometimes DOMS waits until the second day after I lift, so my workout tomorrow could be interesting. I do want to convert some fat to muscle so you're right, DOMS would be a good thing for me.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #1006
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So far, so good; not much DOMS at all today, yet. But sometimes DOMS waits until the second day after I lift, so my workout tomorrow could be interesting. I do want to convert some fat to muscle so you're right, DOMS would be a good thing for me.
I also typically get worse DOMS on the second day after a workout. The added muscle definitely helps speed up the fat burning. When you get exercise and diet balanced properly, you can even burn fat when resting.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #1007
Recycles dryer sheets

1 mile walk in the snow and then 45 min inside on the treadmill
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1008
Recycles dryer sheets

Lifting a 12 ounce beer. I know I need to start working out more, but this first month of ER has been so relaxing, I am still pinching myself to make sure it isn't a dream!
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #1009
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't feel too sore yesterday, for some reason, so I lifted 18.5 tons on those same weight machines and then rode the seated elliptical for a bit as before.

Today, I do feel sore! But not TOO sore. Just enough to know that I lifted weights yesterday.

DCharles, it takes a while after retirement to figure out a new routine that you like. The cool part is that you get to make the decisions.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
Lifting a 12 ounce beer.
The 12-ounce curl is so very relaxing!

We started the gym membership in (I think) November. Today I increased the weights a bit and increased the time on the elliptical. Apparently I'm not pushing as hard as many here and that's fine by me. I'm not there to set any records. Not sore the next day or after but I definitely feel "worked out" when leaving the gym and breathing hard by the time it's all done.

Both of us are noticing that we just feel a lot better more often.

A side benefit I didn't expect was that my, ahem, "innards" are working better than since I was in my 30's. That alone is a good enough reason for me to keep at it.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #1011
Recycles dryer sheets

Shoveling the drive....again. Really looking forward to Spring!
ICNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
10,000 steps
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #1012
Confused about dryer sheets

10,000 steps

9,470 steps today at the mall. This usually takes the wife and I 1.5 hours to accomplish. 426 calories burned for myself according to my phone app.

murpheyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #1013
Recycles dryer sheets

a beautiful 7.5 mile hike through the White Tank Mountains near Phoenix.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #1014
Moderator Emeritus

19.3 tons, despite having to cut back on the abdominal machine to only 85 pounds due to digestive issues. I increased some other machines to compensate, and I am sneaking up on 20 tons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
[...]We started the gym membership in (I think) November. [...]A side benefit I didn't expect was that my, ahem, "innards" are working better than since I was in my 30's.
Wish I could say the same!

But anyhow.... when I look back at my records from years ago, what I am lifting right now at age 65 is SO much more than I was able to lift in my 50's, even in my early 50's when I was lifting less than half this much. So Father Time can put that one in his pipe and smoke it.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #1015
Give me a forum ...

Planning a trip up the mountain tomorrow. 8 km round trip but with a vertical of 325 meters.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #1016
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What was Your Workout Today?

Yesterday: hour at the gym with mostly body weight exercises directed by personal trainer. The 4 miles interval training runs. 5 min warm up followed by 600m all out, 400m easy, x6, and 5 min cool down. Trying to get to "excellent" on the Cooper test (2400m/1.5 miles in 12 min for those over 50). Currently at good, at about 2200m in 12 min. Not fast at all, but trying to get faster.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #1017
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Planning a trip up the mountain tomorrow. 8 km round trip but with a vertical of 325 meters.
6 hearty souls showed up for it. Here are some pics from along the way:
Las Carmelitas Hike - a set on Flickr

Fortunately today has been one of the coolest days in Puerto Vallarta so far this winter. So at 8:30 it was just fine climbing the mountain.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #1018
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
6 hearty souls showed up for it. Here are some pics from along the way:
Las Carmelitas Hike - a set on Flickr

Fortunately today has been one of the coolest days in Puerto Vallarta so far this winter. So at 8:30 it was just fine climbing the mountain.
Nice view!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #1019
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a new Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Did my first 2000 meters on that. Fun but harder than I thought! Seems to give a lot of my parts a good workout. Finished up with 30 minutes on the spinning bike.
ICNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #1020
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last year was all about getting bigger and stronger. The next six months will focus on getting still stronger, but leaner and more flexible. Every other week is now all non-load bearing work - cardio, stretching, yoga, mobility work, and abs. Followed by a week of pretty brutal resistance work. We just finished the second two-week cycle of that, and we came into this week commenting how good we all felt after laying off weights for a week.

The resistance week is now three days of lifting, and each session is 30-45 minutes longer (90-105 total), - the weights are lighter, but there more reps per set, more sets, the reduction or elimination of rests between sets; and an increased use of super-sets, complexes, drops-sets and pyramids. With an extra day of weightlifting, we now have added a day that focuses on just one body part (this week it was shoulders). Even though I am sore today, I still feel that my movements are more fluid than normal.

I have made an interesting observation about the Concept2 Erg's role at my gym. The personal trainers have all fallen in love with the two machines in the gym. They had been relegated to a distant corner in the cardio section, but we kept moving one so that it was next to the free weights so we could use it during metabolic workouts. After a while I noticed that somebody stopped moving it back to it's original place, and before long the second one joined it in the new location. Now I see that all of the trainers are using them with their clients and groups.