What will we eat?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
There have been some threads lately regarding food and an aging population, so when I saw this I thought it might ease some concerns. Making insects delectable for Western palates (Wired UK)

Insects represent a new source of food for the masses, and there are groups out there working hard to develop recipes and flavor combinations. The advantages are numerous, insect protein is much more efficient that the wasteful stuff we currently consume.

A glassed-in box contains Black Soldier Flies, which are fed on organic waste -- the everyday vegetable and meat cuttings you'd dump in your food bin (though Aðalsteinsson is researching whether seaweed can also do the trick). The greedy flies become rich in fat and protein, says Aðalsteinsson, then they can be "harvested for human consumption". Their waste produces a "nutrient-rich soil" that is drained into compost canisters to be used in spice production. Spicy. "This idea of a wasteless production will hopefully inspire others to rethink linear production, which produces great amounts of waste and unused byproducts," Aðalsteinsson explains.
So, those folks worried about a Soylent Green future can now rest easily.

So, those folks worried about a Soylent Green future can now rest easily.

I feel so much better now. Flies seasoned with fly poop. Yum!:LOL:

Reasonably, rationally, logically, I know it is a possibility. I just can't see DW ever getting past the yuck factor though. But if one gets hungry enough....

I saw the guy from Chapul Energy Bars on Shark Tank.

The Original Cricket Energy Bar

Protein bars made from crickets. I suspect, with time, this guy will have a successful product. Marc Cuban partnered with him.

When I went to the Navy's survival school, I learned that you can eat anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies -- and when you get hungry enough, you will.

Flies? Who wants that? You will have to floss out the little legs and wings off your teeth. Additionally, it is not environmentally efficient compared to eating larvae. Yes, siree, it's larvae that we want.

I read the linked article, and indeed the author was talking about larvae. I also link in a photo so everyone can see why we do not want to eat adult flies, but their babies.

flies-house-fly-life-cycle-pest-cemetery1.jpg

Last edited:
a nice fat fly wrapped in seaweed, topped with nutrient-rich soil with a sprig of dandelion for effect. YUM!

I've had chocolate covered ants and crickets. The thing tasted like a Nestlé's crunch bar.

Well I think it is a good idea. It will free up other (ex)foods for biofuels without the fuss about driving up food prices.

This may lead to an entirely new category of Texas Chili.

I wonder what kind of language the Food Network judging panels would use. Bet the term "comfort food" won't be in the top ten descriptive words.
Actually y'all (or we all cause I've been scared to ask too) might not be wantin' ta know what's in some of that thar championship cookoff chili...[FONT=&quot] :cool:[/FONT]

Chili it’s what's for lunch today, this batch is grass fed Chiangus steer and Pendery’s New Mexico light. Lightly browned meat then Sous Vide the Chili at 133[FONT=&quot]° [/FONT]to maintain medium rare before vacuum sealing in Ball pint jars. Since retiring I eat less but make big batches for later use. Sorry no small critters in the chili. I may be living in Washington now, but my UPS driver is kind enough to drop off imported chili powder an such from back home.

Real Texans don't eat insects....;)

... and insects don't eat Texans.

We all better learn to eat anything and everything. 1 billion people are added to world population every 10 yeas or so. Feeding all of them would not be easy.

Back
Top Bottom