Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you
Decline to do the consult? 2 4.26%
See the patient and bill afterwards? 16 34.04%
See the patient and absorb the cost? 6 12.77%
Offer the patient the choice of having the consult and being billed, or not having the consult? 23 48.94%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What if you did the consult for free and later they decided to sue and of course named everybody including you to get more money how would you feel then ?
That was exactly my thought when I first read the question. Maybe I'm too cynical, but I figure that's exactly what might happen so you'd better charge enough to cover those oh so expensive malpratice insurance premiums. Talk about adding insult to injury. Give away the service, and then get sued for your trouble.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZTWP View Post
You know it makes me sick :
I have a dental problem and I can not find any doc that will let me pay out dental work:
This just makes me want to puke ; why you say, cause they wnat to look at how much money you have first before work is done !
What happened to the good willed men of the U S A ?
Money is more IMPORTANT that care for you fellow man !
Well, dentists do get burned on unpaid bills. Maybe try to save up for a significant down payment and ask for a payment plan on the rest?

BTW, my dentist offers a discount for immediate payment and does not ask for money up front.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #43
Administrator

My dentist would probably bill me if I wanted him to, but I prefer to pay on the way out of the office so that it is done with and so that I can save the cost of a stamp. I have done that since I first saw him in 1999, when I was a walk-in with a dental emergency. He always gives me a substantial courtesy discount which I presume is due to the fact that I do not have dental insurance.

My daughter doesn't have much money and doesn't seem to have any trouble finding a dentist that will let her make payments on her dental work. Her problem is making the payments on time!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You know it makes me sick :
I have a dental problem and I can not find any doc that will let me pay out dental work:
This just makes me want to puke ; why you say, cause they wnat to look at how much money you have first before work is done !

I worked at a Surgery Center and before they tightened up their payment options they were in big financial trouble due to people having elective surgery and not paying especially their co-pays . So now they require all co-pays paid before surgery . Doctors and Dentists have a lot of overhead so they can not just give their services away . If you want cheaper dental care look for a clinic they will work with you on the payment .
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you want cheaper dental care look for a clinic they will work with you on the payment .
Better yet, ZZTWP should go to school, get a degree and license in Dentistry, buy all the equipment needed, get his insurance in line, and a staff, and then give free service to all who ask.

Then we can give him a plaque for being a " good willed man/woman of the U S A", and "caring for your fellow man above money".

Of course, he won't be able to pay his rent, and will have to shut down, default on student loans, etc...., and then he/she won't be helping anybody. Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

I consider my Dentist to be my "fellow man/woman" as well. And they can set the payment terms as they please, and I can chose to do or not do business with them.

I'm always curious what sort of line of work the poster is in when they post stuff like this. If they are salaried or hourly, would it be OK if the boss came around and said - "hey, we didn't make a profit this quarter, no paycheck for you. But don't worry, we really, really, really expect to be profitable next quarter, we will pay you then! Now, get back to work!".

-ERD50
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm always curious what sort of line of work the poster is in when they post stuff like this. If they are salaried or hourly, would it be OK if the boss came around and said - "hey, we didn't make a profit this quarter, no paycheck for you. But don't worry, we really, really, really expect to be profitable next quarter, we will pay you then! Now, get back to work!".
Wait, this isn't the attitude of most employers?

"Sure we know your contract says 40 hrs a week, but if you just work a little more, think of all the extra money you can make us!"
Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Wait, this isn't the attitude of most employers?

"Sure we know your contract says 40 hrs a week, but if you just work a little more, think of all the extra money you can make us!"
Seems very different to me.

Yes, the employer is looking for a bit of a freebie, but the employee also figures there is something in it for him/her in the long run to stick it out. Or they can leave for greener pastures.

But to voluntarily give free services to an individual? That would be more like if I was a contract engineer, had three companies that wanted my services - two offered $X paid weekly, and one said "I'll pay you when I can". You have bills to pay, emergency fund is tapped, which one are you going for?

-ERD50
Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Seems very different to me.

Yes, the employer is looking for a bit of a freebie, but the employee also figures there is something in it for him/her in the long run to stick it out. Or they can leave for greener pastures.
Yeah, I should have put a smiley face in my post!

At least at my current employer, it is clear that hard work will not be rewarded for quite a while ("in these difficult times", "cost cutting measures", "reducing labor-related expenses" blah blah blah etc). Which leaves greener pastures I guess.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Imagine you are a physician who is asked to consult on a patient. The problem is not life threatening, there is no diagnostic or therapeutic dilemma, and the main function of the consult is to provide information and support to the patient......who does not have insurance.
I thought in that Canada everyone had insurance?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I thought in that Canada everyone had insurance?
The patient was a foreigner. She was here on a visitor's visa from a European country.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My youngest brother's an MD and I asked him if he gets tired of everyone at cocktail parties asking him for free medical advice (which I assume happens, and he said it does). But he said nope, he loves doing it because he loves the profession.

(Although he's in his early 30's still, so maybe the cynicism just hasn't kicked in? )
Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
(Although he's in his early 30's still, so maybe the cynicism just hasn't kicked in? )
Just a few years out of residency max, so probably not tired of it yet. Although I don't get tired of people asking me legitimate questions in my realm of professional expertise. Unfortunately it is in an area where "everyone knows more than you", or at least they think they do.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

So engineer Fuego, how did this building stay intact in the demolition? How not to demolish a building | World News | Grafton Daily Examiner

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
So engineer Fuego, how did this building stay intact in the demolition? How not to demolish a building | World News | Grafton Daily Examiner
Not enough "boom".

I'm not a structural engineer, so this is mere lay speculation. It looks like the walls of the structure were seriously beefy - very thick concrete with lots of steel rebar reinforcement. They managed to demolish the walls all the way around the perimeter close to the ground, and then carved out a "wedge" on one side, and then it fell like a tree falls when you carve out a wedge. The walls on the upper 3/4 of the structure appear to be intact as it is rolling which would suggest not enough boom. Either they didn't put enough explosives in it because they didn't know how strong the walls were (or how they were constructed), or the explosives on the upper portion failed to detonate. Just my $0.02.