Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She was a great gal, no doubt about it.

Even though she was not seriously ill when things started going a bit haywire in February, we realized the end could not be very far off because she wasn't worried about her hair and make-up and dressing up when she was in nursing rehab. For virtually every day of her 94+ years, she made sure her hair looked good, she put on her make-up, and she dressed. The word "casual" didn't exist for her. She never owned a pair of tennis shoes and wore low heels right up till the end.

Another wonderful thing she always did was thank us for everything we did for her in writing even though she had done it over the phone or in person. Birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, just thinking of you gift......we always received a thank you card. Even her verbal 'thank you's' were always heartfelt and conveyed to us how truly thankful she was for the small things we did to make her life easier. Classy lady.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #22

Here is some interesting info with respect to retirement and pensions and what you can live on....

When I called to notify the State of Maryland she had passed, I asked about her pension. She had been retired for 30 years and I was curious what her pension had been when she retired. It was now about $440 ($368 after medical insurance and drug plan deducted) after 30 years of COLA's. The lady on the phone did not have the starting pension amount but she said Dot's starting salary had been $6,000 and her ending salary in 1979 had been $9,000. I'm not sure how long she worked for the state and the person on the phone couldn't tell me.

Her social security after 30 years was $1033 a month and that was after a "huge" raise this year.

That meant her gross monthly income per month was about $1500 and that was after 30 years of COLA's. For the last 3 years, we have been sending her $150 per month to give her some extra spending money and to ease her mind from worrying about her rent going up at the assisted living facility. She didn't spend it all and the the balance in her savings account grew to $3,000 from about $400!

She was married to DH's father until about 1960 (bum). Another man lived with her for about 15 years until about 1990 when he died. Several years before his death, he lost all his money in a "get rich quick" scheme and she was supporting him. About 10 years before he died, he had her change her last name to his so he could collect on her social security since apparently he did not have enough credits of his own. I guess it was back before they checked all the paperwork because they were never legally married. Dot's mother died when Dot was about 8. Her dad remarried and they had a son. Although Dot's step-mother died loaded after Dot's dad died, step-mother left all her money to her son who did not share ANY of it with either of his two half-sisters. Dot never let it bother her and she had a great friendship with her brother until he died about 18 months ago.

Life was not fair to her but she was always upbeat and positive. Her most valuable asset was her health. She had fantastic health insurance that picked up the Medicaid co-pay and virtually anything Medicaid did not cover but she really didn't use it. Before things started going haywire, her meds consisted of a generic blood pressure pill, water pill, potassium pill, and (for the last year) a generic anti-depressant. Total cost of meds was $16 per month from Sam's.

About $20,000 a year to live a full and happy life.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Here is some interesting info with respect to retirement and pensions and what you can live on....

When I called to notify the State of Maryland she had passed, I asked about her pension. She had been retired for 30 years and I was curious what her pension had been when she retired. It was now about $440 ($368 after medical insurance and drug plan deducted) after 30 years of COLA's. The lady on the phone did not have the starting pension amount but she said Dot's starting salary had been $6,000 and her ending salary in 1979 had been $9,000. I'm not sure how long she worked for the state and the person on the phone couldn't tell me.

Her social security after 30 years was $1033 a month and that was after a "huge" raise this year.

That meant her gross monthly income per month was about $1500 and that was after 30 years of COLA's. For the last 3 years, we have been sending her $150 per month to give her some extra spending money and to ease her mind from worrying about her rent going up at the assisted living facility. She didn't spend it all and the the balance in her savings account grew to $3,000 from about $400!

She was married to DH's father until about 1960 (bum). Another man lived with her for about 15 years until about 1990 when he died. Several years before his death, he lost all his money in a "get rich quick" scheme and she was supporting him. About 10 years before he died, he had her change her last name to his so he could collect on her social security since apparently he did not have enough credits of his own. I guess it was back before they checked all the paperwork because they were never legally married. Dot's mother died when Dot was about 8. Her dad remarried and they had a son. Although Dot's step-mother died loaded after Dot's dad died, step-mother left all her money to her son who did not share ANY of it with either of his two half-sisters. Dot never let it bother her and she had a great friendship with her brother until he died about 18 months ago.

Life was not fair to her but she was always upbeat and positive. Her most valuable asset was her health. She had fantastic health insurance that picked up the Medicaid co-pay and virtually anything Medicaid did not cover but she really didn't use it. Before things started going haywire, her meds consisted of a generic blood pressure pill, water pill, potassium pill, and (for the last year) a generic anti-depressant. Total cost of meds was $16 per month from Sam's.

About $20,000 a year to live a full and happy life.
Sorry to hear about your MIL. As for the numbers, it's amazing what you can live on if your needs are small and you take pleasure in the simple things in life.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote