Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What's your exercise plan in colder months?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's your exercise plan in colder months?

The cooler weather is here in the midwest, which means that shortly I'll have to put away my bicycle. This year, I've really enjoyed taking long rides as part of my exercise regime, along with twice a day walks with my dogs.

Shortly the lousy winter weather will blow in, making outdoor exercise difficult -- and then impossible. I have a treadmill, a small trampoline rebounder, fitness cords and exercise DVDs, and I try to work out nearly every day, but it's surely not the same as being outdoors. Moving to a warmer climate is not an option right now. So, for those of you in the northern climates (or anyone else for that matter), any hints on keeping fit during the "indoor" months?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I mall walk. It's cheap unless you buy something.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a gym habit. It started with required rehabilitation of an injury, but now it's a big part of my daily socialization. It's like jury duty - exposure to a wide range of people I would never otherwise meet. If you have a choice, shop around to find one that suits you.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Bought a $45 universal machine off Craigslist to replace the fitness center membership, and plan to use that a few days per week. Also like to mall walk. Gets one out of the house, staving off cabin fever, and the scenery, at least in the suburban malls north of Big-D, is very stimulating inspirational...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal trainer at life time fitness. Otherwise my fat ass can't get motivated to work out.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

exercise?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
The cooler weather is here in the midwest, which means that shortly I'll have to put away my bicycle.
I'm not really into exercise, but I live north of the 52nd and a friend from my ex-j*b still rides his bike 365 days/year at 64 years old. It gets down to minus 50F here (but he's still out there), can't be that bad now where you are.

Me, I just shovel snow.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The cooler weather is here in the midwest, which means that shortly I'll have to put away my bicycle. This year, I've really enjoyed taking long rides as part of my exercise regime, along with twice a day walks with my dogs.

Shortly the lousy winter weather will blow in, making outdoor exercise difficult -- and then impossible. I have a treadmill, a small trampoline rebounder, fitness cords and exercise DVDs, and I try to work out nearly every day, but it's surely not the same as being outdoors. Moving to a warmer climate is not an option right now. So, for those of you in the northern climates (or anyone else for that matter), any hints on keeping fit during the "indoor" months?
I have spent my entire adult life in warm weather areas, but I plan to retire in southern Missouri where there is (gasp!) SNOW and cold weather.

I plan to continue going to a gym (I do that now, and really enjoy it because it is often too hot to exercise outdoors here).

Also, it may take me a few years to learn to drive in snow and ice. So for that reason, I plan to set up a home gym for days when the weather is really bad. I plan to get a treadmill, exercycle, and other equipment, and set them up in a room with a TV.

I love the variety of equipment at my gym, and could never afford enough to be as happy with my home gym. But I can set something up to get me through cold weather times.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The cooler weather is here in the midwest, which means that shortly I'll have to put away my bicycle.
I have a rule, I don't ride my bike when the outside temp is below 20 degrees F. I ride 10 to 20 miles a day most of the year, and on those days when the temp is lower than the rule I go for a 4 to 6 mile walk instead.

[Edit] I live in SW Idaho...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
gone traveling

Put on warmer running clothes and go out and continue to run.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Wuss ;)
Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wuss ;)

Just dress little warmer.
For inspirations see:
Icebike Home Page
and
Chicago Bike Winter -- Welcome Page

sailor,
year around bicycle commuter
PS: Here is a gift little sailor is getting soon, before morning temps drop below freezing: Bobike Bike A Way Voetenzak Maxi - (eBay item 290056874741 end time Oct-26-07 06:15:20 PDT)
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Just dress little warmer.
For inspirations see:
Icebike Home Page
and
Chicago Bike Winter -- Welcome Page
Any icebreaker sails?
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the good ideas -- I had forgotten completely about mall walking...but then I haven't stepped into a mall since I retired! I'll check it out.

A question for those who ride/run throughout the winter: How do you deal with ice and snow? Seriously, do you go out in that kind of weather? I'm in Michigan and it is not unusual to get snowfalls of 6" or more. I'll get exercise shoveling it, but can't imagine taking a fitness walk/run/ride in it.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the good ideas -- I had forgotten completely about mall walking...but then I haven't stepped into a mall since I retired! I'll check it out.

A question for those who ride/run throughout the winter: How do you deal with ice and snow? Seriously, do you go out in that kind of weather? I'm in Michigan and it is not unusual to get snowfalls of 6" or more. I'll get exercise shoveling it, but can't imagine taking a fitness walk/run/ride in it.
I'm in Michigan and I walk regularly in the ice and snow (when I'm not mall walking). When it gets icy I use Yak Trax on my boots. They really help.

Yaktrax Walker Shoe Traction
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless it's raining (which we are wishing for in Atlanta) I hit the road or nearby trails. Treadmill and Eliptical are 2cnd choice - I much prefer being outside.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love a walk during a snow because it is so quiet. Fewer cars out, and those that are out aren't making so much noise with their tires. I generally don't run while it's snowing/sleeting/cold rain.

Once roads have been plowed and sidewalks shoveled, you're really not dealing with snow and ice, just cold, and you dress in layers appropriately. I run in the middle of the day before melted snow refreezes in places. If there is likely to be some snow and ice on the surface I run in trail shoes, which have a much better grip. Some even use gore tex to help keep the wet out.

After a good snow I also snowshoe on the golf course.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We have the opposite problem here in Texas. We hibernate during the hot summer and enjoy the outdoors during the cool winter!

The problem is that summer doesn't seem to want to end and fall is late in arriving. We're paying for the relatively mild weather we had in June and July. Still hitting close to 90 here with regularity.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Rain
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Rain

Here on the NW Coast the issue is rain. Only once or twice a year do we get snow at sea level, at least recently.

In the city it isn't bad to just use an umbrella and walk. Up and down hills, you don't really have to run, though plenty people do especially in the typical light drizzle.

For people who have to walk or run on well traveled 2 lane roads, darkness is an issue. It really isn't safe for them.

Weather makes outdoor exercise kind of yucky and hard to embrace, but once started not too bad.

Ha
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Weather makes outdoor exercise kind of yucky and hard to embrace, but once started not too bad.

Ha
Yep, I actually enjoy a nice drizzle once I've started running. It is tougher to get started though. When I do avoid is the cold rain, like 40 degree rain.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

walking on treadmill and bowflex in front of the tv. But its not as enjoyable as being outside
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote