Join Early Retirement Today

What's your home gym look like....
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
gone traveling

I am pretty envious of Mark Wahlberg's. His home is for sale and and the link has a nice picture of his home gym. I guess this is how he got in shape to appear in the The Fighter:

Upscale Homes for Serious Workouts - Yahoo! Real Estate
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow!!! What a dream of a home gym. That guy is really INTO it.

My home gym doesn't look at all like that, that's for sure. It is my former dining room. All I have is an exercycle and four tiny dumbbells in it right now, plus a small TV and my Wii Fit balance board. I planned to get a treadmill and a universal gym to put in it, and even figured out which ones I wanted and where I would put them. But then I noticed that I wasn't riding the exercycle as much as I did the first year, and doing my workouts at the gym instead seems to be working for me right now. So, for now my home gym expansion plans are "on hold". Maybe another year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Concept 2 rower and a rack with various hand weights 4 to 25 pounds. Also a large inflated ball, small exercise ball, mat, yoga accessories, and DVD player for various workouts. If I want more exercise equipment I can go to the neighborhood clubhouse, but I can do a lot at home plus bicycle riding and walking.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is a little smaller than Wahlberg's

image-2337421436.jpg
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My home gym looks like a cat room. Actually it is. This my work out room only until I took in two cats.

It's about a 10' x 12' room, with a small exercise machine, a few dumbells and a dip station and stationary bike. Along the sides are the cats' food and water and litter box and cat house/tree. I move to litter box to another room when I workout and put the cats in the other room otherwise I'd never get a good workout in. I do have nice window in the room so get to check out what's outside in between reps and when I'm cycling.

I guess it's the cats' workout room too as they go climbing on my dip station (noticed some scratches on the padding today ) and bicycle seat.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have six colorful dumbbells on the floor of my office. Does that count as a home gym?

But seriously, as impressive as Wahlberg's home gym is, I'd feel terribly isolated being in that large space working out all by myself. I'd rather just go for a run.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

The basement (which is where I spend much of my time) has:
Concept 2 rower
Landice L7 treadmill
Full set of free weights with bench

But in all honesty, I have to admit that the treadmill doesn't get used much any more, and the rower only gets used in the winter. The weights get used about 3 or 4 days a week. My main exercise is running in the local park, which I love.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The basement (which is where I spend much of my time) has:
Concept 2 rower
Landice L7 treadmill
Full set of free weights with bench

But in all honesty, I have to admit that the treadmill doesn't get used much any more, and the rower only gets used in the winter. The weights get used about 3 or 4 days a week. My main exercise is running in the local park, which I love.
Those exercise equipment work great as a stand-in for a clothes dryer when the regular dryer is not working or is too busy
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Basement with exercise bike and a laptop for watching Netflix so I don't go crazy with boredom on the thing. And a set of headphones with a long cord. The set-up works, but is not really much fun. Like several others, I'd rather go for a run in a local park or ride a bicycle outdoors....time and weather permitting.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If I had a home gym it would look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg treadmill-storage (1).jpg (30.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am pretty envious of Mark Wahlberg's. His home is for sale and and the link has a nice picture of his home gym. I guess this is how he got in shape to appear in the The Fighter:
That's not a home gym-- that's a torture chamber his job!

We have a 12'x16' storage shed. My daughter and I trenched in an electrical cable from the back of the house, wired the receptacles, and then went "shopping" on Craigslist. In the room's four corners we have an old treadmill, an old elliptical, a weight bench with a couple hundred pounds of weights, and a Weider "multipurpose" machine. I added a pullup bar in the (open) ceiling trusses and we put in foam rubber floor tiles. It has an old set of metal shelving and a couple old resin plastic lawn chairs.

We were going to put in a sound system but iPods take care of that. Our daughter is mightily annoyed that we didn't fish more cable through the trench and add in a large-screen TV with a Netflix account. We've told her she can take care of that after she inherits...

It has a nice view of the gulch, and it's reached by a set of a dozen steps that are perfect for intervals. I spend most of my workout doing calisthenics and only about 10 minutes cooling down on the elliptical. Maybe someday I'll start using the treadmill more, but my spouse likes it for her 30-minute aerobic session.

She much prefers the 30-second walk down there, free from distractions and interruptions. We used to drive six miles up the road to a military base gym, but it was always noisy & crowded. Now we can exhaust ourselves within 45 minutes and then get on with the rest of our day.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After every 1/2 inch of rain during the Monsoon season, I have to move a ton of sand, rocks, and gravel in the driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wash.JPG (162.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Twelve ounce lifts. Repeated as often as possible.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Mine is 3.5 miles down the road, at the Y. Monthly cost of $50.- for DW and I.

Includes indoor Olympic size swimming pool, free weight room, a machine room of a dozen or two exercise equipment, two basketball/wolleyball courts, a climbing wall and a sauna. And maintenance thereof.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My home gym is a small bedroom maybe 8' x 8'. It's equipped with a rack, a bench, and an olympic weight set. I use it 3 x a week. No I'm not setting any records but gotta fight this age thing.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have a bowflex machine in our office for strength exercises, an exercise ball for stretching and additional ab exercises, and a pair of tennis shoes for cardio.
houstenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm not envious of Wahlberg's setup -- what a lot of dusting!

BowflexLayout.jpg

ExerciseMachines.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My home gym looks like a cat room. Actually it is. This my work out room only until I took in two cats.

It's about a 10' x 12' room, with a small exercise machine, a few dumbells and a dip station and stationary bike. Along the sides are the cats' food and water and litter box and cat house/tree. I move to litter box to another room when I workout and put the cats in the other room otherwise I'd never get a good workout in. I do have nice window in the room so get to check out what's outside in between reps and when I'm cycling.

I guess it's the cats' workout room too as they go climbing on my dip station (noticed some scratches on the padding today ) and bicycle seat.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
gone traveling

A basement area with a beer keg and a wine cellar. What else is required?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Cute. All kitty needs next is an exercise mat.