81 to 90 45 40.18%
91 to 100 48 42.86%
>100 2 1.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by qt333 View Post
I got docked the same because I drink alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I think there is a sweet spot in there, maybe 1 drink a day. Or maybe it is all random and they are just messing with us to get us interested in those annuities.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My guess is this is the calculator they give to the sales critters, and the actuaries use a different one.

+1
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #23

Got 90y in both calculators. Has to do with my current age, 35.

Funnily enough the biggest factor to determine how old you'll get is how old one already is ..

What I find interesting is that the variation in life spans has been dropping alot. Most health advances gave us a better chance of reaching a certain minimum age (say, 75) but don't extend the maximum age by much.

So you still have >100y old as something that happens very rarely, while 80y olds are pretty common now.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me, life expectancy = 92.

But what is this? 75% chance of living to 83. I may just fall into that unlucky 25% who do not make it to 83.

PS. A life expectancy of 92 means there's a 50/50 chance for me to get there. There's no 100% at any age. I may just drop dead next week because of a heart attack, or a stroke. Or I may get diagnosed with cancer and die next year despite all the treatments available.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #25

First calculator said 92. Second one said 82. I think one of the issues with the 2nd calculator was that I admitted to not going in for regular checkups. I go for a checkup about every 5 years....

My mom died at age 67. My dad at age 77. Grandparents died at 67, 72, 71, and 91. I'm hoping to be like Gram (91). My brother died at 48... Cancer runs strong in our family - all of those deaths except Gram were cancer.

I plan for 95. I hope for 85 unless cancer gets me sooner.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Darn, I have to get busy and plan some trips..... before I pop
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

The first calculator was 79 and the second was 93 . My Mom just died at 99 and all the women in my family live long lives . My Aunt is 82 and looks like 70 .I would settle on 85.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For me, life expectancy = 92.

But what is this? 75% chance of living to 83. I may just fall into that unlucky 25% who do not make it to 83.

PS. A life expectancy of 92 means there's a 50/50 chance for me to get there. There's no 100% at any age. I may just drop dead next week because of a heart attack, or a stroke. Or I may get diagnosed with cancer and die next year despite all the treatments available.
OK, I just saw the 2nd calculator posted by imoldernu. It says 93 for me.

Should I believe these, and lower my WR further?

I will believe it when I get there. Heck, if I get there I will not remember anything about any longevity calculator.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Here's a different site, with a few more health questions.

I gave me three more years... from 95 to 98... I simply can't afford that!..

Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM
And that one is from an insurance company, which probably sells annuities as well...

I found a different one and it told me 98. Lots of good questions, but also provided a referral link to an investing site (Betterment).
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #30

Calculator says 92 my personal goal is 90. Have a younger wife and want to leave a substantial legacy, so financially I'm planning for the stash to never run out. Based on 90 I'm about 30% through retirement. So far so good.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The life expectancy thinggy is mainly to encourage people to have good habits. Yes, one should be encouraged to do healthy things, but there is never any guarantee.

Steve Jobs died at 56. Andy Grove died recently at 79. I would think their life expectancy was much higher using these calculators, but they probably fell into the group of the unlucky 5 or 10%. Our number may be up anytime.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #32

Steve Jobs was unlucky, but also an idiot.

Quote:
According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #33

I tracked down some more details on the model and they can be found here: How Long Will you Live?

I was mistaken and it's not strictly a pure regression model. They do use a cox PH regression but it appears that they have a whole bunch of manual fudge factors: How Long Will I Live? - The numbers . This is disappointing to me.

It's not clear what variables are in the regression vs a fudge factor. I suspect there's double counting of some effects leading to the really high life expectancies (as noted by others in this thread). And it's a linear model so there's no diminishing returns.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Steve Jobs was unlucky, but also an idiot.
That is really sad. I did not know it but apparently he had a type of pancreatic cancer that wasn't as difficult to treat as most.
Quote:
"he had a very slow growing type of pancreatic cancer, and that his was one of the 5% "that can actually be cured"
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...surgery-regret

Unfortunately, he apparently delayed surgery in favor of alternative treatments until it was too late.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #35

No male on my fathers side has ever lived past their early fifties(cancers mostly)

I'm watching my elder brothers health with interest. He's apprehensive... Mind you he resembles my mum and I am the spitting image of my dad.

The calculator told me 89. I base my estimates on 83.

I guess if the calculator is correct, during those last 6 years I'll just have to mooch off someone young, rich and dumb... takers ? lol
Old 05-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I guess if the calculator is correct, during those last 6 years I'll just have to mooch off someone young, rich and dumb... takers ? lol

I'm only one of those three, so off the hook!

I'm assuming mid-80s or so, calculators be damned, but I don't plan my finances around that.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #37

91 & 90 on both tests, respectively. Voted for 90 though. My parent's generation (uncles, aunts, parents) are in 70 - 80 year old age group and still relatively healthy. Perhaps, I may live to 90 as the test result says. I will revise my expectation if my parent's generation don't make it past 80. Here's to their health!
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #38

Apparently to live into my 90's and live a decade longer, I must marry, lol.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Here's a different site, with a few more health questions.

I gave me three more years... from 95 to 98... I simply can't afford that!..
This site gave me 100. I'd like to place a bet that they are wrong

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm only one of those three, so off the hook!

I'm assuming mid-80s or so, calculators be damned, but I don't plan my finances around that.
If it is the middle criteria, I can make accommodations.....