• 91 to 100

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • >100

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

photoguy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
While having my coffee this morning, I googled life expectancy calculators and input my data:

https://www.myabaris.com/tools/life-expectancy-calculator-how-long-will-i-live/
No need to enter your contact info to get results. Just close the popup box and it will display in your browser.

According to above, my life expectancy is 98 with a 75% chance of living to 89. I think this is way longer than I would have guessed. I'm not sure if the calc is saying that 98 is the average or median expectancy.

I didn't dig down into the details of the calculator but it's based on a regression of 400k people. I've seen other calculators online but I dismissed them because they likely weren't based on data (asked ridiculous questions which couldn't possibly be predictors in a regression model).

I haven't seen a poll on this, so I'll try to set one up with the thread.

BTW you can play with the calculator and see the effect of different options. Flipping the switch from retired to working has no effect (it might just be for wording purposes). Switching myself to female lowered my life expectancy but then I remembered that I didn't change my height/weight etc.

Last edited:
FWIW...the linked site sells annuities, and to get your life expectancy, you need to complete questions and get the results via an email....

There are many other websites where you can get the same info without giving out tour personal info...

Last edited:
FWIW...the linked site sells annuities, and to get your life expectancy, you need to complete questions and get the results vis an email....

I was able to cancel the popup box so I didn't need to provide any personal info. But that's interesting point about the annuity -- would give them an incentive to produce longer life expectancies.

My life expectancy is 89. Evidently I got docked 1.7 years because I don't drink alcohol. I didn't have to sign up for anything as I just closed the pop-up as the op suggested.

Here's a different site, with a few more health questions.

:LOL: I gave me three more years... from 95 to 98... I simply can't afford that!..:blush:

Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM

The Social Security website just gives average life expectancies for people your age and sex.... Not so good... but more affordable... in my case average is 8 more years to age 88. Probably more likely, as I'm just an average guy...

Last edited:
FWIW...the linked site sells annuities, and to get your life expectancy, you need to complete questions and get the results vis an email....

There are many other websites where you can get the same info without giving out tour personal info...

As photoguy said, it's not necessary to give any personal info to get your life expectancy. Just close the pop-up that asks for your email info, and all the life expectancy info is provided.

I got 81 as a life expectancy (I'm 43). Hmm, maybe I'll retire sooner than 57 after all.

I eat when I'm hungry; I drink when I'm dry.
And if whiskey don't kill me, I'll live till I die.

Mine is 97.

Hmmm I could live .3 years longer if I drank everyday vs 1 drink a week.

Mine is 81 according to the linked tool. But for financial planning, I am using 95. My own best guess is 85-90 because I am pretty tough. :D

Hmmmm... It says 92. Average age of death for males in my family going back 3 generations is 68.

This makes picking the right Safe Withdrawal Rate really hard. Of course, it makes the annuities they sell look really good...

FWIW...the linked site sells annuities, and to get your life expectancy, you need to complete questions and get the results via an email....

This is exactly why I have a junk email address.

My life expectancy is 89. Evidently I got docked 1.7 years because I don't drink alcohol. I didn't have to sign up for anything as I just closed the pop-up as the op suggested.

I got docked the same because I drink alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hmmmm... It says 92. Average age of death for males in my family going back 3 generations is 68.

92 here also...my father died at 67, (my mother at 52..lung cancer), and his brothers pretty much all died in their late 50s/early 60s.

I got 85 with a 75% chance of living older than 77. Based on family history of other males, those numbers are very generous. If I see 80 and still have a decent quality of life, i'll be very surprised.

Mine is 94.

No one ever made it that far in my family. I don't believe I will and I am not going to plan for it. :D

Sure is better than the last online life expectancy calculator I tried - that one said I died 3 years earlier :LOL:

This one gives me a 75% of making it past 82 and says I'll live 'til 90. This is the most optimistic online calculator estimate I've ever seen. Does this mean I might run out of money? What can I do to mitigate the risk? Oh dear.

Oh, wait. They sell annuities. What a relief. :)

This tool seems rather generous. I got 93 with a 75% chance of getting past 85. I've taken these in the past and IIRC, it's usually in the 83-85 range. My parents died at 69 and 77, but both had serious health issues.

I got 89. In my entire family no one has made it that far. Odd that an annuity company's calculator would be more generous than most others.

I got 89. In my entire family no one has made it that far. Odd that an annuity company's calculator would be more generous than most others.
My guess is this is the calculator they give to the sales critters, and the actuaries use a different one. :)

I got docked the same because I drink alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think there is a sweet spot in there, maybe 1 drink a day. Or maybe it is all random and they are just messing with us to get us interested in those annuities.

Got 90y in both calculators. Has to do with my current age, 35.

Funnily enough the biggest factor to determine how old you'll get is how old one already is ..

What I find interesting is that the variation in life spans has been dropping alot. Most health advances gave us a better chance of reaching a certain minimum age (say, 75) but don't extend the maximum age by much.

So you still have >100y old as something that happens very rarely, while 80y olds are pretty common now.

For me, life expectancy = 92.

But what is this? 75% chance of living to 83. I may just fall into that unlucky 25% who do not make it to 83.

PS. A life expectancy of 92 means there's a 50/50 chance for me to get there. There's no 100% at any age. I may just drop dead next week because of a heart attack, or a stroke. Or I may get diagnosed with cancer and die next year despite all the treatments available.

Last edited:
First calculator said 92. Second one said 82. I think one of the issues with the 2nd calculator was that I admitted to not going in for regular checkups. I go for a checkup about every 5 years....

My mom died at age 67. My dad at age 77. Grandparents died at 67, 72, 71, and 91. I'm hoping to be like Gram (91). My brother died at 48... Cancer runs strong in our family - all of those deaths except Gram were cancer.

I plan for 95. I hope for 85 unless cancer gets me sooner.

Back
Top Bottom