Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
Gee; I hope that Texas legalizes it before I retire.
Nothing illegal... just flowers, houseplants and greens for salads. I also have potted trees...avocado, Meyer lemon, Celeste fig, dwarf blueberries, and Alberta spruce. These all go outside on my enclosed porch once the frost warnings stop.

I live in the Rust Belt (upstate NY, east of Syracuse), so anything green and growing in the dreary winter is a godsend.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am in the minority but 6 months after retiring was bored. Now I teach an online college class & do some consulting in my field. To me it feels like the best of both worlds. Unless I have an appointment I get up when I want & go to bed when I want.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I define retirement as "doing only what I want to do (or what DW tells me to do)" not as "doing nothing". With a broad definition, boredom is impossible!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I guess I am in the minority but 6 months after retiring was bored. Now I teach an online college class & do some consulting in my field. To me it feels like the best of both worlds. Unless I have an appointment I get up when I want & go to bed when I want.
And certainly nothing wrong with that. I'd would venture to guess from your username that you do have a slight connection to your vocation.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
I was a lot more bored during my last few years working than now. I was just a lot busier. Sometimes I think we confuse boredom and lack of busyness. Being busy at w*rk can actually just mask your boredom, it is not a cure for it.

Was talking to a friend recently, he cannot imagine retiring, liked the commute time for thinking, being busy at work, the commute home etc. In my mind I thought he was just covering up a underlying lack of excitement (boredom) with life and being so busy he just didn't have to face it.
For me it is pushing myself outside my comfort zone, trying to learn something new, make new friends, and exposing myself to ideas that are a bit different from mine. I am sure everyone is different.

I am much less busy now, and much less bored.
Describes my experiences exactly. Many people I know are still working or retiring and then going back as a contractor or consultant on the same job. No doubt they make a ton of money and its fine if that's what you want to do. For lots of people its their identity. For me I just ran out of things that made me *want* to work where I was. Frankly the direction things were headed bothered me a great deal and I felt like I was almost being an obstructionist. No one ever said I was wrong it was just no one seemed to have the cash or authority to fix things. It was always some mythical they that was making things bad. So it turned exciting important work into busy work. The last few years I had trouble even going to work and worked most of the time at home. So leaving was easier for me.

Time to move on. Not to return in any capacity but to look for new challenges. Early retirement allows me that luxury. It is a luxury. Lots of people have obligations and things in their life that doesn't easily allow for it. I had some great advice very early in my career that has paid off.

I look at life as a banquet table. Lots to try. I always described myself as a "jack of all trades, master of nothing". So now I have returned to that summer vacation I had as a very young boy that allows me to do as I please. Even if its just mowing my lawn and reading under the tree all day. Someones busy maybe be someone passion or desire. I think what ever you do is great.

By the way I retired 01/02/2015, last Friday. I just found this group. I am oddly enough nervous about all of this. I did leave a lot of money on the table. But I came to the conclusion I can't buy time. It does kind of feel like just starting out again. Anyway, hope to 'steal' great ideas and advice from all of you. (sorry for the long winded ramble)
Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Journeys!

Well written! We think alike. And it was the same for me, too. I am coming up on being retired for one year, now. And each month is wonderful.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

+1 to both Journeys & Redbugdave. My one-year anniversary is Jan 30th and I'm enjoying my "new life" with more vigor than I had in any of my last few years at w*rk.
jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeys View Post
...I look at life as a banquet table. Lots to try. I always described myself as a "jack of all trades, master of nothing". So now I have returned to that summer vacation I had as a very young boy that allows me to do as I please. Even if its just mowing my lawn and reading under the tree all day. Someones busy maybe be someone passion or desire. I think what ever you do is great.
Well said.

Once I decompressed from the high achiever c*reer thing, I've returned to many simple pursuits that there was "never time for" when chasing the paycheck. Low stress type of stuff when I damn well feel like doing it.

You're off to a great start.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Flyboy- my retirement teaching at uni actually is a new vocation for me that I love. I also consult in my previous human service work. I think one reason I am not sick of working is that I came to my career later in life. I was a SAHM, then went to college & into my field so was 40 by the time I was working f.t. I worked for the state & was not sick of the work but rather the 8-5 thing, all the rules, bureucracy, etc. Also I do most of my work from home except for when I need to meet with clients.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

The more I hang around various ER-related forums the more it is evident that ER isn't for everyone...and a downright bad idea for some. It shocks me when I read about people for whom their jobs were their primary IDENTITY...their LIVES. I am just glad I managed to cultivate a litany of interests outside of my job that I could immerse myself in once I ER'ed. I hang around the MMM forums a fair amount and see people obsessed with the "idea" of ER...but likely have no idea of how to handle the "reality" of ER.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

My Mom had no problem filling her time when she retired at 59 but had a lot more hobbies then I do. She also enjoyed going to many senior events/speakers etc on a regular basis. work was never my entire life. For a large part it was raising my kids, then going to college to get 4 degrees & then finding a career I loved. Now it is hiking, going to movies, good restaurants, travel & work. I love being able to decide each day what I want to do-not what I must do. I agree with SK that many will be unpleasantly surprised when they reach their goal & decide it is not for them. But most are young so will go back to work or maybe just p.t. I think it may also be different for people that go to college right out of HS, get job & work for many years. I was used to having a flex schedule when raising kids, going to college etc so was not chained to a desk for as many years as many people are.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #72

Quote:
I am oddly enough nervous about all of this. I did leave a lot of money on the table. But I came to the conclusion I can't buy time. It does kind of feel like just starting out again. Anyway, hope to 'steal' great ideas and advice from all of you. (sorry for the long winded ramble)
It is a big change and it does take a while to adjust - for some that time is a matter of seconds, for others a year or more. But almost invariably the change is for the good.

Like many I also left a lot of money on the table, and we wondered for while whether that was a wise thing to do. Six months later when my sister said "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years" we knew we had made the right choice and we stopped wondering.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Flyboy- my retirement teaching at uni actually is a new vocation for me that I love. I also consult in my previous human service work. I think one reason I am not sick of working is that I came to my career later in life. I was a SAHM, then went to college & into my field so was 40 by the time I was working f.t. I worked for the state & was not sick of the work but rather the 8-5 thing, all the rules, bureucracy, etc. Also I do most of my work from home except for when I need to meet with clients.
That does make sense. I can relate..to a point. I did in fact enjoy my j+b and if not for the BS that was increasing at an alarming rate, I would have probably done it indefinitely. I fully acknowledge that when I see my former aviation buddies fly over the house coming or going to the flight test area, I get a very slight tinge of...I guess jealousy. I certainly do miss that part...and if I could have figured out a way to fly, and only fly (no more than a few times a month) I would have done that no questions asked. But...that wasn't possible so now when they cruise over the house, I smile and raise my glass to those their service.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #74

Quote:
Describes my experiences exactly. Many people I know are still working or retiring and then going back as a contractor or consultant on the same job. No doubt they make a ton of money and its fine if that's what you want to do. For lots of people its their identity. For me I just ran out of things that made me *want* to work where I was. Frankly the direction things were headed bothered me a great deal and I felt like I was almost being an obstructionist. No one ever said I was wrong it was just no one seemed to have the cash or authority to fix things. It was always some mythical they that was making things bad. So it turned exciting important work into busy work. The last few years I had trouble even going to work and worked most of the time at home. So leaving was easier for me.

Time to move on. Not to return in any capacity but to look for new challenges. Early retirement allows me that luxury. It is a luxury. Lots of people have obligations and things in their life that doesn't easily allow for it. I had some great advice very early in my career that has paid off.

I look at life as a banquet table. Lots to try. I always described myself as a "jack of all trades, master of nothing". So now I have returned to that summer vacation I had as a very young boy that allows me to do as I please. Even if its just mowing my lawn and reading under the tree all day. Someones busy maybe be someone passion or desire. I think what ever you do is great.

By the way I retired 01/02/2015, last Friday. I just found this group. I am oddly enough nervous about all of this. I did leave a lot of money on the table. But I came to the conclusion I can't buy time. It does kind of feel like just starting out again. Anyway, hope to 'steal' great ideas and advice from all of you. (sorry for the long winded ramble)
Welcome to the group Journeys! I just retired last April 1st, and it was "oddly nervous" for me as well. This forum was a big help to me, especially reading all the comments from the long timers here. My retirement was not as early as many of the people here, but it is all relative I guess. I had actually never really planned to retire, although I had always saved for it.

My life and identity was pretty much tied to my work, which I mostly found gratifying until as you put it they changed, "exciting important work into busy work." And the BS was growing at the same time as my capacity to absorb it was decreasing. After these 9 months retired I cannot imagine going back to the grind no matter how much was offered. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy your new journey!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:33 AM   #75

Quote:
I am oddly enough nervous about all of this. I did leave a lot of money on the table. But I came to the conclusion I can't buy time.
Many of us leave major money on the table, since ER often means retiring during one's prime earning years. But, like you say, you can't buy time.

Here's one surprise for me, four months into ER: the nervousness related to the financial side is nearly entirely gone. I didn't expect that. It's not due to the bull market -- it's more my realizing that I can live with less, if necessary. I'm glad I avoided the OMY trap.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #76

An experiment was done in a grocery store: 26 differnent jams were placed on a table, all available for sampling and buying. Sales were slow. The experiment continued, and this time, only with 6 choices. Sales picked up to a brisk pace.

In my first year of retirement, this year, "sales are low"; plenty of opportunity (time and money), but deciding what I should do is slow due to the huge range of choices and a spouse that doesn't seem very interested in many activities.

I wouldn't say "bored”, but putting more time into my existing hobbies and social relationships is not hugely exciting either. But the good news is that was " the plan", since I had been advised not to jump into anything too big at the start (like selling the house and buying an RV or something).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote